Level 18 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+140-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
+25-30% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
-20% To Enemy Cold Resistance
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
20% Deadly Strike
3.125-309.375 Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

And I get to thinking, this could be a great weapon for a frost maiden but why spend so high runes for just one build, I mean a Jah and Lo for just one build?

So I would like some help brain storming about builds for this runeword:

First things first, which bow or xbow should I put the runeword in? I assume since I want other builds other than frost maiden it needs to be in a non-amazon bow, and since I probably want as much speed as possible a higher base speed is desired. I'm thinking Cho-Ko-Nu or Demon crossbow. both are extremely fast but demon crossbow has 141 str req and 98 dex req, will that be an issue?

Second thing, what do the mods on the bow do and how do they react with other skills? For instance how does -20% cold react with the sorcs cold mastery is it additive or does it work in some other conjunction?

These things include:
Are the druid wereform attacks considered melee? and if so does the +ECold% multiplied twice?
How does the cold mastery stack with the weapon?
What skills can carry the ctc Frost Nova?

Thirdly the builds (I would want to actually use the weapon not just some of the mods on it):

Amazon - Frost Maiden easy enough

Sorc- I think modified enchantress? with say:
20 Blizzard
20 Frozen Orb
1 Cold Mastery
20 Warmth
20 Enchant
1 Fire Mastery
pre-reqs
rest in Fire Mastery

Paladin - would have to be a ranger (thinking conviction ranger)
20 Resist Cold
20 Salvation
20 Conviction
pre-req's and what else?

Necro - this would be a great time for a mojo/golem mancer
enough Lower Resist to break all immunes possible
rest in golems?

Barb - Bowbarb?? or firewall barb for style points??
Not sure what build for here.

Assassin - I'm thinking shadow assassin with DS??
not quite sure what build for here either.

and lastly
Druid - I'm thinking Kodiak bear would work well, only issues I foresee is speed and how the mods work with the build, reason for the questions on wereform attacks are they melee? If not a hunter my be a better option.

friedbananazzzz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: "ice" builds

I don't think Rouges can equip x-bows, so if you ever want to use it on a merc, it'll have to be in a regular bow. (I could be wrong though...)

clowninmypants

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm this is interesting. I'm very curious to see the results. If i'm ever rich enough I may try this.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member

Rogue mercs can only use bows which means I could only use bows for the runeword, the fastest bows are only 10 WIAS compared to the 60 WIAS demon crossbow.

only real reason to use it on a rogue merc is to get HF on a smarter merc one that stays out of melee range.

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

When people actually get Jah runes in single player we can discuss more builds to use it ;)

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member

When people actually get Jah runes in single player we can discuss more builds to use it ;)
And that's exactly why it would be a waste to use 1 Luckily found Jah rune in a weapon that could only be used by one character type or build.

I realize that there are only a select few that have a Jah rune available for such a use, but that's beyond the point.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member

From the looks of those mods, it seems like a great bow for any ranger type build. You might, for instance, try to make it in a decent bow and then make 7 'ranger' buids around it. That should be quite feasible, especially with the holy freeze aura, which means you have some more mercenary flexibility

Broncobiv2

Diabloii.Net Member

One quick note...it doesn't matter how "fast" even the fastest crossbows are. They can not shoot faster than 11 frames per shot. I mean, a demon crossbow, being the fastest kind, only needs 8% IAS to reach 11 FPS. But that's the limit. Crossbows are capped at 11 FPS.

Bows, however, can go as fast as 7 frames per shot. There's not a cap like on a crossbow. You cannot compare bow base speeds to crossbow base speeds. Apples and oranges.

Bottom line: Never make a runeword in an crossbow. They're beyond slow.

muzzz

Diabloii.Net Member

For instance how does -20% cold react with the sorcs cold mastery is it additive or does it work in some other conjunction?
Additive

Are the druid wereform attacks considered melee? and if so does the +ECold% multiplied twice?
Wereform attacks are melee. +%elemental damage can only be applied twice if a spell that adds elemental damage is involved (e.g., enchant, venom).

What skills can carry the ctc Frost Nova?
Most skills that carry weapon damage. Notable exceptions would be whirlwind and blade shield.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member

Crossbows are capped at 11 FPS.

Bows, however, can go as fast as 7 frames per shot. There's not a cap like on a crossbow.
Ok that's what I wanted to make sure of so I should be looking at a 10 WIAS Bow of some sort, makes sense to me. and use OIAS to get the speed to where I want it.

Wereform attacks are melee. +%elemental damage can only be applied twice if a spell that adds elemental damage is involved (e.g., enchant, venom).
Added damage to attack on holy freeze (an aura) would be exactly like the dream sorc holy shock aura so it would be applied twice since wereform changes the bow attack to a melee form right?

Most skills that carry weapon damage. Notable exceptions would be whirlwind and blade shield.
Blade fury would work for the assassin than which might be really cool for an assassin build but the 3/4 damage still may be a problem.

Thanks guys that helps a lot.

moo-cow

Diabloii.Net Member

to nit-pick over the bows a bit more, I thought the fastest a bow could go was 8/3.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member

QFT! Also, we could start the discussion after people have both Jah and Lo to spare for "Ice". I stated "spare" because there is so much other options for Jah and Lo, which are IMO better than Ice...

On a serious hand, Ice would be nice. Although, my next Jah (I can always dream for a 2nd one right? :rolleyes:) is reserved for Enigma (I can always dream for Ber also, right? :rolleyes:)

galzohar

Diabloii.Net Member

Statistics say (based on rune drop ratio I've seen flying around sometime) by the time you get a Jah you will very likely already have at least 1 Ber. That is, if those ratios are correct, given that you had found a Jah, you had most likely played more than enough to find more than 1 Ber rune. Then again the chances that you had found a Ber "drop" if I know that you didn't find any HRs other than Jah (making the "estimated play time" lower than it would've been if I didn't know it).

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

Statistics say (based on rune drop ratio I've seen flying around sometime) by the time you get a Jah you will very likely already have at least 1 Ber. That is, if those ratios are correct, given that you had found a Jah, you had most likely played more than enough to find more than 1 Ber rune. Then again the chances that you had found a Ber "drop" if I know that you didn't find any HRs other than Jah (making the "estimated play time" lower than it would've been if I didn't know it).
Whats your point. Statistics are just that, statistics. They are not absolute truth.

Back on topic, I think that ice a very underpowered rune word given the necessary runes required to make it. Then again it would be very cool and stylish to play with.

Broncobiv2

Diabloii.Net Member

to nit-pick over the bows a bit more, I thought the fastest a bow could go was 8/3.
You hit 7 frames for a normal attack with 145 IAS and a -10 WSM bow, 200 IAS and a 0 WSM bow, 240 IAS and a 5 WSM bow, and 295 IAS and a 10 WSM bow.

It was always though that you can hit 2 frames per strafe, and it definitely appears that way client-side on the screen (you can see a difference between 9/3 and 9/2). But there's been discussion recently that it doesn't actually work server-side, and it's pointless to go for 9/2 for a strafer.