Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IAS on Grief PB

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by smeer, Sep 28, 2006.

1. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

IAS on Grief PB

Now I always thought that IAS on a Grief PB is not important. Even if you've got 30IAS, you can easily reach the last bp with smit and zeal.
    If you have a greif with 30 IAS, you reach the last bp with smit when you have a lvl 2 fanatism, and for zeal you need a lvl 4 fana.
    Also a ww barb will reach the last bp with 30IAS on a PB

So for a Grief PB the +damage is the only important variable.
    Now why then is a grief 40/400 much much more valuable then a grief 30/400?

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

probably because most of bnet is uneducated on this fact, and ignorant of it too.

alas, a 40/xxx WOULD be more useful if you're not a character that uses Fanaticism or WW, such as a conviction-based melee pally perhaps.

Or, there are occasions where using another aura is a must (e.g. salvation vs. uber meph), the extra IAS might make a difference.

3. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Yes, but conviction is mostly used in combi with Vengeance and the +damage from grief does not work in combi with Vengeance. Most Vengeance/conviction palys use eBotD.

Negating the conviction aura of uber meph isn't really necessary to if you've got enough CB, stacked resist and lifetap...

4. windwingwind

windwingwind IncGamers Member

Dreamadins may use conviction aura and zeal. Frostzealots, well, use holy freeze when zeal.

Combination of auras and attack skills are not gravened on stone.

5. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Yes of course thats true, but when using zeal/dream/conviction or zeal/HF you won't reach the final bp with 30 or 40 IAS. 72 IAS is needed. So also on these characters a grief 30IAS PB (hmmm maybe a grief 32IAS PB) would be as good as a 40 PB.

So I think in most situations there is no difference between a grief 30IAS PB or a 40IAS one and the only thing that really matters is the +damage modifier.

Or am I wrong here?

6. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

32 ias and 42 ias away from BP, are quite far apart. Highlords and 20 ias gloves give you 40 ias leaving a 42 ias guy out of luck unless he looks to his belt.

But I think your basic point still stands. Outside of a few case specific builds it makes no difference at all.

Did I mention that I just made a 36/400 today and started an auction for it on west trade?

7. windwingwind

windwingwind IncGamers Member

As Yossarian said.... with a 30 ias Grief you need 42 ias from other gear to reach 72 bp, VS needing 32 ias from other gear when holding a 40 ias Grief.

You are right that for MOST situations there's no difference but as long as there's a difference in SOME cases the price should be different dont you think so ? :girly:

8. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Well, IAS comes in 5% increments on gear, so the "breakpoints" for a grief PB would be 32 and 37. I've seen a LOT of people asking for 37+ in trade threads.

9. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Yeb I think the price should be different, but the difference should in my opinion be minor. What you often see (at least I do) is that the price is doubled (where the damage is the same). So a grief 30/400 will cost half the price of a 40/400. Thats not a minor difference....
    Oh well enough said about this toppic, since most people agree that for most builts it doesn't make a difference what IAS the grief PB has.

10. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I think that build that this matters most for is one like mine. I uber with my hammerdin. By default you get 1 point in smite, and that's enough. I don't have fanat at all, but just using his normal conviction is plenty. You need a 40 IAS grief to really make effective and not have to swap out everything. Then for ubering its just a weapon switch to go from 75% FCR hammers to a 65% IAS smite. Hammers clear out the minions and smite for the ubers themselves, pretty effective - and a lot of people already have a hammerdin.

Hammer only mode gear
    Hoto
    Spirit (35%)
    Shako
    Enigma
    Magefists
    Arach
    War Trav's
    10% FCR ring (with life, str and 11% resist all)
    SOJ/Nagel/Ravenfrost/Nature's Peace depending on what I'm running
    Mara's
    CTA/Spirit on switch
    ______
    125% FCR = breakpoint

Smiting /Hammer gear
    Hoto
    Spirit (35%) - so I can still hammer at 75% FCR
    Grief (40%)
    Spirit
    Guilliams (socketed 15% IAS)
    Fortitude/CoH - I've used both, just depends what other char's gear I borrow.
    Nosferatu
    Drac's
    Goreriders
    Ravenfrost
    Resist + life + str ring
    Mara's
    _______
    65% IAS Smite or 75% FCR Hammers on switch

Keep the concentration active the whole time, except sometimes I'll use salvation against meph. I can safely switch off the conc and not loose any IAS.

This is not the best uber killer by far, but its handy and uses a build I already had lying around. The problem is that it requires both a perfect 40% IAS grief and a perfect 35% FCR spirit. So yeah, its probably people like me driving up the prices on the 40% IAS ones.

11. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Ah yes this is indeed a verry well known and commonly used built where the 40 IAS is usefull...didnot think of this...thanks