Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IAS Breakpoints

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

IAS Breakpoints

A thought just occurred to me of an odd game mechanic. As far as I'm aware, all base weapon speeds occur in multiples of 5. Similarly all equipment that increases attack speed are also in multiples of 5. However, not all breakpoints are in multiples of 5. Is there a reason for this?

As an example, a stafer using Witchwild String needs exactly 86% IAS to hit the coveted 9/2 strafe speed breakpoint. However, there's no way to get exactly 86% on a WWS or any other bow for that matter. So the bp is effectively 90%.

Is there some piece of equipment that I'm missing that allows for a non-multiple of 5 speed increase? The Paladin's aura fanatacism offers non-multiple of 5 speed increases, but that speed is not transferred to other allied players (I think other PCs only get the damage benefit at a reduced rate of the paladin). And I don't know anyone who builds a non-paladin with the assumption that they will be partied with a paladin using fanaticism anyway.

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: IAS Breakpoints

Skill IAS wouldn't be the same as the IAS on gear anyway.

Why the fear of going over the requirement though?

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

I don't have any fear of going over the requirement. It just seem absurd that if all weapons speeds are done in multiples of 5, that a non-multiple of 5 would be set as a breakpoint. Is there some formula used to calculate breakpoints and that's why it spits out non-multiples of 5? Even then, it would seem more practical to round it up to the next multiple of 5.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The Grief runeword adds a random amount of 30-40%IAS.

AFAIK, party members benefit from the speed increase, but they receive only half of the damage bonus. I'm not 100% sure, however (I rarely play in a party). Arreat Summit says "Effect: Increases your Attack Rate and Attack Rating. Increases damage for all party members.", but they have been wrong on a couple of other things as well :scratchchin:

I'm pretty sure that IAS from fanaticism transfers to or from mercs or minions.

5. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

Also pretty sure party members do receive full skill IAS from fanat but only a portion of the damage. I personally always thought non-multiple breakpoints were stupid, and I don't understand why they ended up with such arbitrary values. The 52 bp for throw on my jav and 56 bp for zeal on my pally are both annoying me. On the other hand, at least ias jools can't spawn less than 15, like res ones for example.