Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I Was Only Nineteen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokar Rostau, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I Was Only Nineteen

I have loved this song since it came out when I was eight years old. The last couple of weeks Australia has been commemorating the fortieth anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan (18 August 1966) and this song, the anthem of the Vietnam diggers, has been played a lot. It is common to see veterans - and their families - cry when they hear this song. My own father simply couldn't listen to it, probably because one of it's main themes is PTSD.

This is the original recording and lyrics. Just press play. It's probably important to remember that there is an intentional pun in the lyrics - the line "and an Asian orange sunset through the scrub" is usually considered to say Agent Orange, and the song played a role in raising public awareness of the issue that resulted in the Royal Commission into the effects of Agent Orange a few years later. The subtitle "A Walk in the Light Green" refers to the light green areas of the map of Phuoc Tuy that were lightly covered by scrub, rather than the thick jungle that was dark green. The events in the song are a true story, about the writers brother-in-law, and Frankie did step on a mine on July 20 1969... one month into his tour.

I Was Only Nineteen was covered by Hip-Hop group The Herd last year and has been very well received by old and new fans alike. Here is a radio program that covers the making of the video clip, including interviews with veterans that were invloved in the clip, and goes some way in conveying the importance of this song to many Australians. There are also excerpts of the cover version which I havn't been able to find elsewhere.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this great and poignant song that has earned a place in our national history.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Argh, I hate Australiana. I can't think of anything less relevant to modern Australia than Australian history...

Heh, this song will now always remind me of that Chris Lilley sketch - the one from Big Byte where he played that drama teacher. He put on that school play (I think it was called VietWow!) and used this music... I laughed my arse off.

3. Sokar Rostau

I hate Australiana too, but this isn't a kitsch tea-towel with a picture of the Harbour Bridge or a stuffed kangaroo.

We are still dealing with the ramifications of our history today, whether you realise it or not, things just keep coming back. I was really suprised to see the parallels between John Howard's hatred of unions and the Great Strikes of the 1890's, and that's just one example. But this isn't about history, it's a great song that is very important to a lot of people.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

If you need fresher history let me know. I'll arrange another Japanese offensive pushing southward toward your shores.

5. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

I wonder, does Japan really have a super-futuristic army of mechanized planes, robots and other such devices at her beck and call or have I been thoroughly disenchanted by anime yet again?

6. Sokar Rostau

All better.

7. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

What's Australiana?

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Pfft, those days are long over. The unions complain but apart from annoying city commuters that's all they can manage.

I read somewhere that about 60% of Australians are either immigrants or first-generation. That's just going back one generation. Not to mention the complete cultural obliteration of the last twenty years or so as a result of Americanisation (although the culture we had before that was largely British hand-me-downs anyway). What's left? Vegemite, koalas, an odd accent and a tendency to be blunt to the point of rudeness.

Nothing in Australia's history prior to 1980 is at all relevant. I wish we'd stop wasting our childrens' time teaching them Australian history, if we want them to learn something important we should teach them the history of Europe from the Classical period to the Renaissance, Enlightenment and whatnot - which explains how we wound up with our system of government and guiding philosophy and all those nice things. Which we took with us when we arrived here, everything that has happened since then has been parochial twaddle.

But no, apparently they've now decided to force even more useless, boring Australian history down the poor kids' throats... I can hardly imagine a better way to make them hate history.

You want Darwin again? Take it, please!

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Cork hats and didgeridoos and koalas and crocodile wrestling and stuffed kangaroos and whack-another-shrimp-on-the-barbie and Gudday Mate and all that crap. All the stupid things that foreigners remember us for that have nothing to do with the real Australia.

I toss in any reference to "diggers", slouch hats and "mateship" as well, myself.

What would the Belgian equivalent be? Windmills, breeches and hose and cork shoes? Oh wait, is that Switzerland? I dunno.

10. MadMachine

I call those stereotypes. Don't forget big cans of beer and bigger knives.

*puts on his Mountie stetson*

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, Paul Hogan I can forgive seeing as he entered us into the annals of kitsch movies. Ditto Yahoo Serious (ignoring everything after Young Einstein of course).

The thing is that some Australians do it too. While trying to be "patriotic", ugh. There's nothing more un-Australian than being patriotic. And they go around wearing that god-awful flag of ours singing that crappy song people chose when they decided we were too embarrassed by our own nature to pick Waltzing Matilda... I really hate those people.

12. MadMachine

****. I used to think that Australia was just one big wasteland where people drove around in cars that barely held together and shot each other with crossbows. Not to mention climbing into large bungee cord devices and swinging dangerous weaponry at each other inside a large dome-like structure.

But Aussie girls are hotter than the general average of North American women, who tend to idolize the "twiggy, bony and size 0 jeans" = beautiful thing.

13. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

So... The flying docters are nothing but a scam i take it?

14. Sokar Rostau

You really should expand your horizons and force yourself to go further back than 1980, there is a world of books, films and songs that were written before then (FYI this song is from 1983... ). This isn't the first time you have stated that everything before that year is irrelevant and a waste of time.

You claim Howard's attacks on the unions and his recent industrial relations changes have nothing to do with the Great Strikes? You should go and educate yourself about what the Great Strikes were and what they resulted in. The Great Strikes failed in the short term, but within 15 years almost every single demand was granted. Howard is in the process of dismantling all of that.

How about Indiginous relations and the policies from the 1880's-1970's, are they irrelevant? By your definition Mabo and Wik should never have happened and Little Johnny would love you to be his spokesperson. Some Aboriginal people, especially in Central Australia, are living under the same, if not worse, conditions in 2006 as they were in 1926... is that irrelevant?

You obviously don't know enough about the White Australia Policy to fully comprehend the Howard Government's attitude toward asylum seekers, nor it's impact on Australia's position in the region. But that ended more than a decade before 1980 so that's irrelevant, right?

Australia's current immigration, industrial relations, strategic, economic, diplomatic and social policies are all tightly bound in the history of this country, yet the average person would be hard pressed to name two significant events prior to WWI that didn't involve the words Fleet, Federation or gold - and I doubt that many more could name too many events from the 20th century that don't have the words War or Depression. And that's what is wrong with history education in this country, especially when you compare us to Americans that learn the names of every President when most of us couldn't name anyone before Menzies (ooops, he's irrelevant too... I meant Fraser, he was in office in 1980 so i guess he's the oldest PM worth knowing anything about).

You are suffering a bad case of Cultural Cringe and need to seperate tourist-oriented souvenirs and stereotypes from the reality of Australia. Either that or go and curl up in a corner, squeeze your eyes tightly shut and chant "Tabula rasa, tabula rasa, tabula rasa." until everything prior to 1980 goes away.

15. shacktack

shacktack IncGamers Member

yea thats a good song

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I reserve judgement on Mad Max until I see Thunderdome. I hated the first one and the second one (aside from imaginative props and costumes) was a big pile of meh.

Don't know that there's much of a difference on that score. Of course it depends on where in both countries you are exactly.

What on earth are you talking about?

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

If you didn't go for the first two I think you'll find the third more of the same. But with Tina Turner wearing chainmail. FWIW

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Ugh, well in addition to the fact that songs prior to that date are almost all awful regardless of where they're from, books and films from Australia almost always are regardless of when they're from. I mean what exactly are you talking about, Banjo Patterson? *Blows his brains out*

The landscape now is totally different, those things have no modern relevance. That's part of the reason the Labour Party is completely mired and stands zero chance of winning the next election (that and the fact they brought Kim Beazley back from the grave he belonged in). Their platform is outdated. I'm hoping Howard's extremist reforms will spark some life into the union movement or the left wing to restore some balance to politics, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well first of all, those are two separate issues. Aboriginals make up less than 1% of the population; hell the history of Italy, Greece or China would be more relevant by that logic.

On the second (unrelated) issue, you're right. I do disagree with Mabo. Please demonstrate how the Mabo decision has improved the condition of Aboriginals? It hasn't done jack for them, what good is owning the title of land?

As for the position of Aboriginals, well that's pretty bloody rich if you ask me. People point out that they have an atrociously low lifespan because they have no access to modern medicine - well no kidding, THEY LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOODY DESERT! It has nothing to do with race, if white people lived out there they'd be dropping like flies too. If they want medical care all they have to do is MOVE TO THE CITY.

And of course there's the cycle of poverty - well how do you expect to break that when they live where there are no employers? Once again, if white people lived in the same conditions they'd have the same problems. And then there's the culture of violence against women, which I might point out to you hasn't been helped at all by the establishment of tribal law (how we can countenance one justice system for a white man and another for a black man in the name of fighting racism I can never understand), which lets wife-beaters and child rapists off with a slap on the wrist. Absolutely disgusting. Hell, when it comes to domestic violence Aboriginals get treated with extreme generosity by the police (by which I mean the men do, the women and children who have to put up with being beaten, raped and murdered are another matter) - if they put every wife-beater in jail they'd have to decimate the community.

Neither side of politics has a solution to these problems. They are deep-rooted and all the politicians are interested in doing is serving the interests of their blind ideological voters. In fact, I doubt these problems can even be addressed by a government, they are social in nature.

Spare me the paltry leftie soap-boxing. I may vomit. I don't agree with Howard's immigration policies (particularly detention centres or excisions from the migration zone) but trying to bring the White Australia policy in this is a vile anachronism and a perfect example of the kind of intelligence-insulting political propaganda I despise. Next you'll be telling me Howard wants another Stolen Generation...

I don't know anything about any of our former Prime Ministers, they are all irrelevant. Who cares? They never did anything of importance beyond the merely parochial. I remember Hawke had a good sense of humour and was a charismatic statesman, nothing about Paul Keating and then we have John Howard, who I despise.

It's no wonder no Australians remember them. Americans rote-learn the names of their Presidents because schools force them to in the name of patriotism. And they have more cause to remember them than we do, American Presidents actually did things. What relevance has Malcolm Fraser or any of the other Prime Ministers in the here and now? What is their legacy? Nothing, they're just bureaucrats. Their policies may have been momentous in their time, but most of the issues they fought so hard over were either not all that important in the grand scheme of things or they're now moot in any case.

I cringe away from the fake culture we supposedly have. Talk to real Australians; Banjo Patterson, Gough Whitlam, Aboriginal reconciliation and diggers are as alien to them as they would be to a Brazilian.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I dunno, I thought the second one was almost on the brink of being decent... maybe a little nudge in that direction will help. Tina Turner is definitely a nudge.

20. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned