Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I want to do some sort of CE melee build for PVm

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Pandacious, May 17, 2008.

1. Pandacious

Pandacious IncGamers Member

I want to do some sort of CE melee build for PVm

I'd really like to play some sort of melee build, with max corpse explosion. I'd kill a few, and then chain off CE to clear the screen. I would possibly have a golem to tank, and a lot of the curses for crowd control and improved damage.

I think it seems like a pretty good idea, but I see problems in a few areas. Necromancers don't really have any good attacks that boost damage, and attack rating like Werewolves, Paladins, and Barbarians...so it wouldn't it too much. I noticed the necromancer does have "poison dagger", but then I would need the poison synergies...Also, I noticed there aren't really good unique daggers, I suppose you make a sweet rune word dagger....However, I'm not really looking to gimp this guy out. I want to have fun with it as I play through the game, as well as being able to do Hell without too* much trouble, and contribute well whenever I play Hell with my little troupe of friends.

I guess, to fix the AR problem I could get an Act II mercenary with Blessed Aim aura, but I really don't want to pass up Holy Freeze.

So, I guess I made this thread to get some answers to these questions....

Would this be a viable character?
    What kind of weapon should I use?
    What are some of the equipments and bonuses I should look for at different level ranges?
    Are there any other ways to fix the AR and Damage issue?

2. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Re: I want to do some sort of CE melee build for PVm

I don't think a 'meleemancer' would be too viable. Necro's do not have skills to enhance damage (except for amp), no AR boost (unless you use a dagger), no life boost, no speed boost, no enhanced defense, low life per vitality point, you can see where I am going with this. The handful of skills that help a melee character out, necro's have none of them.

I suppose with uber gear though you could pull it off. There are alot of runewords out there that could grant you auras to help with some of these issues. Use a CTA to boost your life. Get a good damage weapon with ITD mod on it. Might merc with infinity would boost your damage and help your chance to hit. Cast DV so you can melee them one at a time.

I guess it could be done, but it would be expensive to do well, and would be kinda slow compared to a standard fishy/poison/boner.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Slow, but very well endowed in the crowd management area. Necros need to get their damage from something else than a big high damage sword. CE does work great for this, but the question is how disciplined will you be when it comes to actually killing things yourself? Them Merc more often than not will be a faster killer than you and all you really need to do is keep up the crowd control and spam CE.

4. Pandacious

Well, they do have enhance armour things, bone armour seems quite nice. If I did use the dagger for poison damage and AR would the damage be enough?

I think this is true, Mad Mantis. I think being a necromancer, keeping the mercenary alive would not be too hard.

As for as rune words go, I have the ones you listed....but I do not want to use any of them. As soon I equip those I almost immediately get bored with the character. I really don't think it's necessary to equip all of that to be able to play through Hell, sometimes I think people go for a bit of overkill...

Here's one of the strategies I am thinking of... I would use attract, and then since you can use alternate curses on top of Attract I would use either Amp damage, or maybe something like life tap or Decreprify. Then I'd attack one of the outer mobs, along with the merc....killing one or two should not be a problem and then the Corpse Explosion chain would begin. If all went well I should see a bloody screen.

5. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Yeah, i've thought of a build around corpse explosion too. You can max corpse explosion, and bone armor and its synergies. Then some points in lower resist and amp damage and Ai curses to your taste. i don't know if it's a good strategy, but what about wielding hand of justice runeword, and dual dream? I know the pallys and sorceresses are better at using them, but if you combine them with lower resist, you could get a kill or two and then start the chain. The -fire resist from hand of justice will also greatly help the corpse explosion. Just an idea though. the aura damage will probably be pitiful unless synergized.

6. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Necro's are so weak in melee, I think that you will find that your merc will drop 3 bods before you drop one. With a strong merc you will be so busy CE'ing bodies, cursing, crowd controlling, healing merc... you won't really have time, or the need, to swing at all.

7. Pandacious

If the merc is dead, I'll need to be able to kill at least one or two enemies. I think it really shouldn't be a problem. With bone armour, I shouldn't instantly die either. I'm tempted to use a dagger for the skill poison dagger because it gives bonuses in damage and AR, but I'm just not just if those bonuses are good enough to make daggers strong enough.

8. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You'll be able to kill, but don't think it will be fast. I really like playing Meleemancers, but I must acknowledge that they can't kill fast. Most killing speed comes from things like CB, DS and OW. PDagger can do large amounts of damage to a single target if you make sure that the gear is good.

9. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Let's just face it, a 20/20/20 naked necro poison nova is going to do more damage/second/mob than any kind of melee setup, with or without poison dagger, in any or almost any situation. So do yourself a favor and gear for poison nova as well ;)
    Later you can try melee, see it's not working and go back to poison nova, as the skill point distribution is almost the same (only difference is a poison nova build prioritizes getting 20/20/20 and some LR before putting points in CE).

10. Pandacious

I don't want to play that, though. I think CE is really good anyways, it deals % damage. I don't think I would play a nova build.

11. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

maxing bone armor seems like a bad idea. max both synergies for +700 points ba, the difference between maxed and one point ba always are additional 190 points, which isnt really relevant.

full poison skills, maxed bone prison and maybe a clay golem as support could work. i wouldnt put more than one point into ce then, though. without synergized poison, killing bosses could be a real problem.

using ce might be a problem in full games, as you will need several corpses until it kills anything. you could try a bow instead of a melee weapon and max bone prison or wall -> much safer.

12. Silverblade

Silverblade IncGamers Member

How about Poison Nova/melee type? gears set up will be like Meteor/melee sorc. Sorc can do it, not sure why Necro can't.

13. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Like I said, the melee skill setup and poison nova skill setups are very similar, so you could switch between them just by switching gear around (at least if you go for maxing poisons first which is possibly optimal for melee anyway).

Remember CE is mostly about getting a corpse, which means killing a monster. Any necro's killing speed is pretty much defined by how much time it takes him to get that corpse so don't think just becuase you have CE you can get away with weak builds without having a lot of trouble. But go ahead and try it and see how long you can stand the slow killing ;)

14. carnivore

another suggestion:

- passion phase blade for zeal
    - homunculus for max block, resists and the obvious necro skills
    - chains of honor for damage, +all skills for zeal and resists
    or fortitude for fcr and even more damage and less resists
    - andariels face for more +all skills and ias
    - gore riders for crushing blow

and a might merc with insight for more damage and mana

this approach would take a lot more effort to chose the right gear as you will need caster and melee attributes, but it should be doable.

the great advantage would be, that you still have lots of skill points left. you will only need:
    max ce, bone prison and bone wall so far
    plus the usual curses and prerequesites.

you could put serious points into iron golem and golem mastery in addition and use an insight golem and choose a might merc with pride or an act 1 merc with faith.

only problem i see so far could be ar, but this could be compensated with charms or by a blessed aim merc.

well, maybe someone else has more input.

edit: just looked some more at armors: a stone could also be quite nice if you want to go rather cheap. it gives you much needed fhr and allows you a cheap clay golem.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  15. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Lol, use botd and synergize and get a 2+k posion nova for 40 points! :)

Idr if the poison dagger bug is still in effect. But you'll have that for the AR (if it works) and you'll cast a 2k posion nova when you drop one enemy. After you do that, you can CE them and they could drop from one corpse. This build sounds pretty fun. And it just might work :evil:

16. carnivore

also it probably wouldnt work as well, its much cheaper:
    take an oath for its 30% ctc bone spirit, bone prison and wall are already maxed for the bone armor and it has iron golem charges (if the oath isnt ethereal that is, else they might not last long), heart of the wolverine would be a nice bonus too.

17. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Not spirit** bone spear***

Oath seems pretty nice too, but im not sure how effective the bone spear would be. Sure it would be 1267-1346 extra damage synergized but it will only hit a few monsters as they will be surrounding him not to mention 30% chance is pretty frequent. But not sure if its really worth it.

If working around bone spear I would suggest ditching melee and use brand for the 100% ctc 18 bone spear. ITD and tons of other goodies too :thumbsup:

Although botd is expensive, I think a necro/melee build would work out nice with it. Figure the monsters are swarming you, while you try to get your first kill for your nova then follow up on CE. Maybe cast lower resist, infinity merc, and wear trangs gloves, that nova will pack a punch. Nova generally provides more net damage than bone spear does.

If he is on a budget though, oath is probably the better route to take.

18. Pandacious

I've got an Ebotd, Ap Coh, Ap Enigma, Fort, ..etc But, I'd like to hold out on equiping those until I've gotten bored of actually playing through it normally and such with mainly uniques and such...basically levels 1-70.