Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I want a handgun.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kremtok, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I want a handgun.

I recently moved from Florida to Alaska, and I was startled to discover that everyone has a gun! Kids have handguns, ladies have handguns, people carry handguns in their cars, people bring handguns with them to the grocery store. This is all legal! I don't necessarily view this as a bad thing, and I don't want this thread to turn into a morality debate over handgun possession, so please don't say anything along those lines.

The thing is, now I want one too.

Alaskans say that they carry their handguns with them because of bears. I've been here for four months, and I have yet to see a bear, but all assure me that they are commonly present in the summer months. I don't want a handgun to shoot a bear. I don't think I'll ever be in a situation that I would need to shoot a bear. But, all of this bear-protection, gun-toting nonsense leads to a logical, yet surprising, side-effect: all of these guns that people carry are very big guns. I want a gun just as big as all of these Alaskans. I want to show them that the Florida boy can hang.

However, I have no experience with handguns, only rifles. I have done some looking around, and asking around, and I have found that there is a lot of really big guns out there. Are there any reccommendations on what gives the best proverbial "bang for the buck"?

I do not want a revolver, because they don't make me look cool enough. I want to look like Tommy in Snatch, not Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. Therefore, I have considered the obvious: Desert Eagle .50. My other possibles include a 10mm and .45-70. Any suggestions from pistol owners among us are welcome.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It really depends. It sounds like you want a big shiny gun. In that case you don't really have to get one that will have enough power to take a bull elephants head clean off from down the street. Go online and look at all the gun manufacuturer websites I am sure you can find some big-*** gun that doesn't cost a lot (read: Desert Eagle) Then again what do I know I am just the kid Eddy Izzard talks about in his HBO special (hehe Grandpa's arsenal)

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Do you feel lucky, punk?

I'd advise against a .50 caliber handgun (too big and too much kick). I suggest you find out how prevalent bears are in your area before buying a gun...just because Timmy down the street has one is no reason for you to get one. If they are very common, then I'd use a .45 Colt or a .357 Magnum instead (not only are the recoils low, but the magazine count is slightly higher in case you need more than one shot).

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

If you want want a gun to look cool, then you probably shouldn't have one to begin with. It's a weapon, not a piece of jewelry.

[Go with a .357 and practice with wad cutters until you get the technique down.]

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I have a lucky stone that I carry in my pocket, not once since I've carried it have I been attacked by a bear. I will sell you this stone.

6. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

i've got one for nuclear holocausts. its effective radius is so large that there haven't been ANY in the world for the past 12 minutes.

7. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

Id go with a .357 or a Colt 45. I myself have a Colt Anaconda .45 which i really like. Take a class, learn how to use the thing first. Dont be another ignorant part of society with a pistol.

8. th5418

th5418 Banned

Hey everyone! Its a whole new Hellfire! Only, instead of joining the army to kil people, he just wants to kill people!

9. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Course, you could always go w/ a uzi...
    I'd say .45

10. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I'll give you $20 for your nuke rock

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'd say that since you want a handgun just to look "cool" that you of all people should not be getting one. And a desert eagle would break your wrist without a wrist support. Guns are not like in the movies. Any mature gun owners would look upon you with disgust and contempt if you made it known that you got a gun just to "show that you can hang". "I want a bigger gun! One that makes big noise!" :rolleyes: You sound pretty immature. I'm guessing you're about 16.

And I've yet to meet a full grown bear that can be stopped by a handgun when pissed off.

12. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Hell, beats my +1 Mace.

13. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Probably true.

? People are able to shoot those guns.

A S&W .500 is capable of killing an elephant. Admittedly that's currently the most powerful handgun there is, but bear<elephant.

14. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

They make some nice derringers that run in shotgun gauges....

A recent bear in alasaka stood about 13 feet tall and weighed 1600 pounds. At 50 yards ( further than you would be able to hit) it would still kill and eat you before any damage you could do would effect it.

The bear had like a dozen hunks of lead in it from prior occasions of being shot after they killed it. Tell me that a elephant can take that........

A 10 gauge shotgun is perfered by most in Alaska as it has stopping power and killing power. A rifle round or pistol round has killing power, but not stopping power like a shotgun. A 10 gauge with 00 or a slug will stop a bear in 2-3 shots if you hit it in the right areas. A rifle, it will kill it, but unless the bear isnt pissed at you, which in that case, why would u shoot it? it will get to you before it dies.

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

A .50 cal handgun would have such recoil that it would likely break your wrist when you fired it. The .50 cal version of the Desert Eagle requires a wrist brace to fire it properly. Yes, most .50 cal weapons could kill a bear. But most handguns aren't .50 cal. And most handguns don't have the stopping power to halt an pissed off 800lb bear in mid-charge. I doubt all Alaskans are packing Desert Eagles.

16. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

17. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

oh man I had a gun just like that way back when I played war with myself!
    I've killed over 10000 people with that gun :lol:

18. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

tommy had a revolver..you are thinking of bullet tooth tony.

19. th5418

th5418 Banned

All metal play bullets?

20. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

What a lot of you fail to notice is the difference between .50 caliber and .50 Action Express. These two rounds (the second being used in the desert eagle) are VERY different. It's more of an accuracy thing, but a fifty caliber round is about the size of your index figer down to the bottom of your thumb. 50 caliber rounds are WAY too big to fit in a pistol magazine. Yes the .50 action express has reasonable stopping power, but a .357 magnum is a far better choice. It's more accurate and has less recoil from my experience. I've fired 9mm, .45, .44, .50, .357, .22, 10, 12, and 20 gauge shotguns, and a host of others. I wouldn't get a 10 gauge slug either. It'll stop a bear sure, but it hurts like a *****. You'll probably get badly bruised without some kind of padding.