Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I want a dog

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, May 29, 2011.

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: I want a dog

All Prue-breeds are subject to a chance of inbreeding problems.
    It happens whenever a breed gets popular.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That might be a good reason to get a crossbreed. You can probably get one for free. Or do a good deed and save one from euthanasy, by buying it from a dog pund for a nominal fee.

3. BobCox2

Dog=God backwards so is a dog saved from euthansy a dog pun'd?

And is the nominal fee a % of your life devoted to the dog?

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Diabloii.Net Member

Probably a Belgian Malinois, which is a slightly smaller dog than the GSD but with a better nose. I thought about those too. But I don't think I'm experienced enough to handle them as they are naturally more "apha" aggressive than even the working GSD.

5. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Diabloii.Net Member

Thougth about a cross breed as they're generally healthier. But it's dice throw at their temperament as I've no idea which parental trait they'll follow. But the Lab-German Shepherd is interesting.

Looks intimidating like a German Shepherd. But sweet as a lab. Of course the worst case scenario is the other way around. Looks sweet as a lab ... inviting children to pet them, then respond like a German Shepherd and take their arms off.

6. BobCox2

I like Great Dane & Ridgeback cross a lot
    Crosses have to be checked for traits though - a lot of big dogs have hip or digestive problems that a cross may reinforce instead of eliminate - you get high mortality rates and a few dogs with no problems.

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

I have to agree that cross breeding is a crap shoot on disposition.

I need to find someone who actually owns a Newfie. Breeders are going to give you all roses because they want that $2000.00 for a pup.

8. BobCox2

How so?
    Great Dane cross tends a lot to a large quiet Family dog, Terrier cross to smaller active dog, Hunting breads to pack behavior etc.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Crossbreeds have a lower chance for "bad genes" because they benefit from a larger gene pool (which is typically small for purebreds). However, having a mother with crap genes and a father with other crap genes doesn't mean that the result will be free of crap, of course.

10. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

The newfs on Petfinder seem to have some questionable breeding. Poodle/newf, Rot/newf..I would just like to talk to a non-biased person who has one. I need to know what kind of fence to have. That is the biggest issue. I know what screening to look for so the health issues are important.

I know what I am in for with a Newfie. I know I will have tons of drool. I know I will have enough fur twice a year to knit a sweater.

I was just hoping that there would be some dog shows around my area that would allow me to talk to the owners/trainers.

11. BobCox2

[​IMG]

Genghis Khan had one, legend says.
    So did the Buddha.

And now, the prized red Tibetan mastiff, thought to be one of the world’s oldest and most venerable breeds, has another distinction: One of the massive, fluffy dogs has become the most expensive dog ever sold.

An 11-month old pup named Big Splash (“Hong Dong” in Chinese) recently sold in the Chinese city of Qingdao for 10 million yuan — about $1.5 million in U.S. dollars.
    The 3-foot-tall, 180-pound dog is one of a breed that has been around since time immemorial. Tibetan mastiffs are said to have guarded nomad camps and monasteries, and are rarely seen outside of Tibet.