Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I, uh...broke the quest...?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Helios1971, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Helios1971

Helios1971 IncGamers Member

I, uh...broke the quest...?

Ok, for starters, I haven't played this game since the early 9.x patches, so I suspect much might've changed since then. One thing that's changed is that I used to play solo somewhat easily, whereas now, I just get my butt handed to me with this approach.

As such, I decided to join a party to do the "Tools of the Trade" quest and nab the Malus that Charsi wants. So I teamed up with a Barbarian and Sorceress to go through the Barracks and after finally killing the Smith, we could get to the stand where the Malus was. I clicked on the stand, but the Sorceress snagged the Malus. I assumed that there would be a Malus for everyone...at least, I thought that's how it worked before. Anyways, I checked my inventory and nothing resembling a smithing hammer was there. Checked with Charsi and she acted no differently than before. I looked at the quest screen and it said, "The player with the Malus has left the game".

What...the...*&%$#...?

Is this supposed to happen? Why would they patch the game so that team play is encouraged, but only allow one person to get the quest item? Now, I guess I'll have to do it again. Another thing, though...

I also have a Paladin that is just getting into Act 2, but just as he got into Lut Gholein, some other people finished up the Horadric cube quest. It then showed up in my Quest menu as being complete. Obviously, though I didn't automatically have a Horadric Cube in my hands, as I didn't even go outside the city. Does this mean I won't be able to get the cube now...? I did a search for this stuff, sorry if it's already been posted...

2. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

For the cube just start a new game and go find it:) - it is quite common practise for longer playing people to give a mule character their cube - and go get another.

There is no limit to how many times you do this as long as your not carrying a cube on your charac(or in your stash)!

As for the malus I suggest the same, start a new game and go get it - Charsi always gives a useless pice of junk worthless mods anyway:D

Chill

3. Helios1971

Yeah, I suppose the Malus quest doesn't have as much significance as it used to. Still, I just think it's bizarre that it's been designed so that only one person in a party can get it, and then everyone else it out of luck.

4. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

Actually everyone in the party should get the benefit from completing the malus quest - even though there is only 1 hammer. However, I seem to remember there being a level requirement on the malus quest (around lvl 11) to prevent rushing. I have run into that 'feature' where everyone else can complete it but my poor lvl 5 character cant. That may have been your problem with that quest.

5. Helios1971

Actually, my character was level 15 or so, so that shouldn't have been an issue. If you're supposed to be able to just talk to Charsi afterwards, then I'll just assume there was a glitch somewhere and do it again. Ah, well. Thanks for your help.

6. Lacerta

Lacerta IncGamers Member

I believe in order to get the quest reward, the person who picks up the quest item has to turn it in before the rest of the group can get the reward. You are correct, it isn't very smart, and there should be one for each person in the group, or in the immediate area or something. Ther person who picked up the Malus and left the game was just rude.

7. Danembont

Danembont Banned

Yeah, Lacerta's right. That is pretty rude :D Btw, imbue lvl requirement is lvl 8, but since the xpac came out, imbues haven't been as good, I'm not sure whether anything was changed or just because rares aren't as good as uniques and sets. For the cube, I bet that if you had taken a tp by some of the guys who had just completed the quest, you would have picked up the cube. Don't worry about anything.

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

this is the way that quest has always worked--there is one Malus and everyone can get the quest unless someone makes off with it. It's not a big deal but for that reason I try to grab the Malus and go straight to Charsi whenever it drops.
    Some people will carry it around and not go to Charsi, then just leave after the next waypoint or something, where others will leave the game on purpose.

For that and the cube, all you have to do is go back and get it later. It can be a pain if you don't want to clear the whole level tho, which I end up doing quite often before I see what I'm after.