Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I tried to play nice!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hippie Holocost, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

I tried to play nice!!!!

Ok, this was inspired by another thread, heres the thing.

Do most of you think that when we (meaning you and I) debate I stay at least moderately respectable? Now I know that I have my moments, but I think it is fair to say that everyone does once in a while.

Also again about the lableing of "hippie," I honestly call people that for the sheer simplicity of it. It is much easier to write and understand hippie than Neo-Liberal with small tendencies of tree-hugging . But like I said, if it really bothers people I'll stop.

Thoughts......

2. Akira

Akira Member

Well, i could call everyone who disagrees with me in a debate an *******, it'd be very easy for me to do, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Just some food for thought.

3. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

You are no less respectable than the more vocal conservative types round these parts.

And think of that what you will.

I will say this however. What you do for simplicity is often counter to the arguements you attempt to make. Rather than labelling, use of more descriptive ways to debate may make your point seem both more valid and mature.

/stuffiness

4. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Your arguments need to be boiled down to their essential elements, not your labels.

5. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

You're no worse than other conservatives I know here and at other message boards. *shrug*

6. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I personally don't see what the big deal is. I don't care if people call me names on an internet forum.... come on... its the internet, the closest thing to a libertarian media in history.

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Hippy, I don't know you. If you were around before October, you were not rememberd by me. I do find that you tend to label anyone that disagrees with you as a hippy. Regardless of the adjective you use, do you honestly think anyone gives a ratt's butt what kind of label you give? All it does is fuel fury. Is that your intention? You have alienated many people, those who post to your ideas and those who don't. Is it that hard for you conservative hard *** to actually give a crap about other's points of view? To be honest, I don't read many of your posts, because they are so inflamatory with no regard to another's point of view.

Funny how you care when Freet calls you on your Hippy adjective.

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

glad to hear you are secure in your self dave. I had a feeling you wouldn't care if I labeled you something--and I might have. i don't remember anything off hand..but if i did, I'm sure it was good :)

I think what people are touchy about is when you label them something they wouldn't necessarily agree to. I laugh when i get called out for not following a perfect libertarian line on issues...but when PLF used the P-word i felt I need to respond. now, imagine he had gone off the handle and instead of fairly calling me out on that, he had flamed me and called me the same thing. PLF wouldn't do that unless you really annoyed him...but let's pretend.

I might've gotten upset about it...it's all in how things are worded.

So if you're going ot label and berate someone...make it durf, everyone else try to treat with some respect. (one day i'm going to feel bad for durf....maybe) the political discussions become more interesting when we talk the whole issue out. People are going to get mad when we talk about politics religion and our least favorite vegatables, but we can keep things better under control of we think before we click submit.

9. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Yeah, negative lables aren't good, but we all use them. Heck, I call them "conservatives" dont' I? That makes me just as guilty.

10. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

But you don't go on to say that you can list every single "hippy" on the boards. That was uncalled for. I have different views to Anyee, but, I do read what she has to say and it gives me food for thought. Most of what Hippy says, I just skim over. One can get their point across without using name calling. Some people have not learned that yet.

11. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Not all true hippies are/were cultist, communal anti-everything, doped-up whack-os. A few died in Nam. The mainstream was much different from what you see on TV. Not everyone was a member of the Symbionese Liberation Army, or a Black Panther.

The people you label as hippies, well, most of them aren't even close.

I graduated HS in '69, and was elidgible for the draft in '70.

For what my humble opinion is worth.

12. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

You're a bad man. No. NO. NO! Devil man! Devil 6-6-6, the mark of the beast! No! Naughty! Naughty jungle of love!

13. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I don't care, label away. We wouldn't be able to communicate at all without having verbal labels for objects and ideas. The problem comes in when a label is used to dismiss an idea based on the merits of the label alone. That to me is a strawman variation and doesn't fly, but you do tend to have some substance to your posts and if you have used labels to dismiss (I honestly can't remember an example of you doing that off the top of my head) I'd be willing to bet you're not the worst offender.

Another problem arises when you assign someone a label that doesn't agree with their own self-image, this tends to work people up but they just need to get over that. I think most of us here can handle it.

14. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Yesterday I read all sorts of ugly things being said about me. So I went home, ate dinner and had a really outstanding beer.

How about a little thicker skin everybody! And remember, we're not trying to kill each other. Which makes us better men and women than much of the world.

15. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Actually Smeg, I have been trying to kill you for quite some time, but you're quite wiley, like that cartoon coyote.

16. swami

swami Banned

pah, says you, i'd take you out any day :drool:

swami

17. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

We would be nicer if you weren't involved in all those conspiracies.

heck, you people killed john lenon

18. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Oh sure, blame the new guy! I haven't even proven up for my Fellowcraft yet.

19. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Using labels to debate something is one of the most pointless things you can do as far as I'm concerned. What exactly is a conservative? What exactly is a liberal? What exactly is a hippy? Are these labels perfectly defined? Is there anyone in the world who can fall 100% into one of these categories? I think not.

Many times, people use labels to cover-up what would have been an empty argument. Since I don't have anything meaningful to say, I'll just call the opposition liberals. I understand that labels can become convenient to categorize certain attitudes and values but I don't believe the terms are well defined enough (and "Liberal" and "Conservative" are just the most broad and over-used) that everyone must fall under one label or another.

This isn't directly toward anyone really but if you have a point to make, explain yourself and do so logically. Frankly, when someone calls someone else a say, a hippie, I have no idea what he means.

20. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Ok, I guess it's time to make a few clarifications.

I'm not upset. I'm concerned that the term "hippie" is being used when it's not warranted. The word is being thrown around as an insult and that's what's bugging me.

The term was coined during the Viet Nam war when America had entered the televised violence age. We were able to see first hand exactly what war was all about and we didn't like what we saw. Killing people for the purpose of protecting an ideology was repugnant to many people and, in response, many came together and made their concerns known.

A true hippie was one who opposed violence, racial discrimination, class structuring, abuse of our natural rescorces and generally anything that was screwing up living together peacefully.

Now, what is so wrong with those philosiphies? Why is the term used as an insult now? Yes, I do feel strongly about all the aformentioned and I shouldn't be labeled as a lesser man because of it.

A true hippie is a good person and the term should not be bastardized as it has been on these boards.

I hope this helped clarify things.