Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I think someones is trying to hack me right now [100% cpu usage + my wireless network

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by samcisnow, May 18, 2008.

1. samcisnow

samcisnow IncGamers Member

I think someones is trying to hack me right now [100% cpu usage + my wireless network

My wireless network was unlocked,

so far, i've passworded the network and changed the password to the router, anything else i could do to find out my problem?

im using spybot right now too, scanning

please! thanks

PS: i havn't downloaded a single program

2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Re: I think someones is trying to hack me right now [100% cpu usage + my wireless net

Most firewalls have an internet lock, engage it and see if there's a difference to your CPU usage.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Re: I think someones is trying to hack me right now [100% cpu usage + my wireless net

You aren't being hacked.

You might have a process that is stuck in a loop. Crtl+shift+esc and look at your running processes, if one is taking up a lot of CPU kill it. If you don't see anything or can't kill it reboot.

4. samcisnow

samcisnow IncGamers Member

Yup, you're right, i kinda paniced, once i restarted its not 100% anymore, but still jumps a bit

5. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

If you're every worried about someone accessing your computer remember the lock. Especially with wireless internet. My daughter can access two different, ie not mine, networks in my house. As you have seen, 99.9% of the time it's an internal problem and you can usually find out what program is being the problem by seeing what you have running and seeing its CPU usage. Usually a reboot fixes most things, isn't Microsoft grand?

6. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

I agree with what others have said, but if you want to feel safer in the future, you should do some or all of the following as well to further secure your network. None of these are foolproof but if you have layered security you are very unlikely to be compromised. Some of these may make it a little less convenient if you want friends to be able to log on, so you may not want to do all.
    1) Enable WEP (or newer variant) or at least WPA - since you say you passworded your network, you may have done so already.
    2) Change the SSID from the default in the router, and disable the SSID broadcasting (wireless network name, basically) - others would have to guess it to log on.
    3) Limit the IP address range to only the number of computers you will have on the network; alternatively (and more securely), input the MAC addresses of the computers that you want to be able to log on into the router, and prevent it from allowing others on the network.

I assume you are running at least the Windows Firewall (preferably a decent 3rd party one instead). If you want any more info on how to do the above, feel free to ask.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

WEP is all you need for a home network, 'securing' your network with any of the above is like your front door lock, it is there to keep the honest people honest. If someone like myself wants on your network those things won't stop me, they may slow me down by a few hours, but if I really want in I will get in.

8. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

I don't disagree with you at all. Of course some people still have older devices that can't use WEP, so I wanted to provide some additional options. It's not like changing the default SSID/disabling broadcasting is a big deal to do or creates any difficulty, and I don't know that MAC address spoofing is easy if an outsider doesn't know what the internal MAC addresses are - I'd defer to your hacking knowledge.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It isn't that spoofing the correct ID is easy, it is just an easy thing to bypass in the grand scheme of things. At the very least I can steal your MAC address, there are tools that will do it with the click of a button and a few packets sniffed.