I think many of us need to check into this clinic

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
I think many of us need to check into this clinic

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9957 said:
Up to 2.5 million Chinese may be hooked on the Internet and MMOGs

A new clinic has opened in China to care for young people who are addicted to online gaming, with the Chinese government officially licensing the facility to treat patients with heavy internet and MMOG addictions.

The clinic, which is located near the Beijing Military Central Hospital, mostly treats patients aged between 14 and 24, who are looked after by a team of 23 nurses and doctors. Many say that their addiction to gaming grew out of a wish to relieve everyday stress and pressure from parents to perform well academically.

"All the children here have left school because they are playing games or in chat rooms every day," said clinic director Dr. Tao Ran.

"They are suffering from depression, nervousness, fear and unwillingness to interact with others, panic and agitation. The also have sleep disorders, the shakes and numbness in their hands."

Treatment begins at 6am every day and takes the form of therapy sessions, medication, acupuncture and exercise. Patients also spend time hooked up to a machine that stimulates nerve endings, receiving 30 volt electric shocks to pressure points, and are intravenously fed a clear liquid said to "adjust the unbalanced status of brain secretions." Officials refused to reveal any more information about the medication.

A stay at the clinic costs $48 per day - more than twice the average weekly wage for a Beijing citizen. The course of treatment generally lasts for between 10-15 days.

Dr Tao, who has worked in psychiatry for 20 years, estimates that up to 2.5 million Chinese suffer from "Internet addiction" - but some suggest the size of the problem has been exaggerated.

"As the number of Netizens grows, the number of addicted poeple will grow as well, but we should not worry about the issue too much," said Kuang Wenbo, a professor of mass media at Beijing's Renmin University.

"The young men at the age of growing up have their own problems. Even if there was no Internet they would get addicted to other things."
I've stopped myself, but can you?

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
Well obviously you haven't...you're still here.

Sounds a bit extreme.

After all, "Internet addiction" isn't a true addiction in the sense of biological dependancy...

But meh, just my $0.02

Arb

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
When EQ first got big I heard stories all across the video game industry of people losing jobs, spouses, what-have-you. Now the guys I used to write for are telling me that they're calling WoW the "Widowmaker." I think there may be some merit to the idea of people getting in over their heads with these games. In my experience, it seems like the fantasy world noobs (i.e. people who never really played D&D etc.) that really get excessive with it.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Arbedark said:
Well obviously you haven't...you're still here.
I'm at work right now. I sit in front of a computer, and most of the time i have no assignments. What do you suggest I do?

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkPotHead said:
I'm at work right now. I sit in front of a computer, and most of the time i have no assignments. What do you suggest I do?
Sorry, didnt mean it in a harsh way.

Was only a joke, but forgot to put ":p" after it.

If i worked in front of a comp i'd spend all day on these forums.

I just think its over the top. That they think it's such a big problem that they have a clinic for it.

Arb

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Arbedark said:
Sorry, didnt mean it in a harsh way.

Was only a joke, but forgot to put ":p" after it.

If i worked in front of a comp i'd spend all day on these forums.

I just think its over the top. That they think it's such a big problem that they have a clinic for it.

Arb

Don't apologize, it is obvious that DPH is still in denial about his problem. STEP INTO THE LIGHT DPH!!!!!!!!

Isolde212

Banned
I'll tell ya now, if I ever leave Anakha it will be because of his stupid computer games. I had warned him and I think I should make it a clause in our pre-nup. I can handle people having hobbies but when does a hobby become an addiction?

Raft Boy

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
I'll tell ya now, if I ever leave Anakha it will be because of his stupid computer games. I had warned him and I think I should make it a clause in our pre-nup. I can handle people having hobbies but when does a hobby become an addiction?
*makes a mental note to buy WoW as a wedding gift for Annahka213*

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
When you drag your woman onto a gaming forum.

masterazn

Banned
Living in China, I can say from first hand observations that this is a rampant, more serious than most people think, problem. The basis of this problem is most likely rooted in the fact that the Chinese populace has grown increasingly wealthy in the past few years. I was in China from 1995 to 1999, and at that time, Shanghai (largest city in China) had streets filled with bicycles and people. There were very little cars, and even if you had one, you had trouble getting around because all the streets were flooded by bicycles. There were few skyscrapers and the majority of the populace still earned an average of 2000-3000RMB per month ($241.55 - $362.32). Nowadays, the average earning goes up to 4000, some in the 5000 and 6000's. I live in Shanghai now, again, since 2004. I must say it has changed amazingly.

Either way, DSL lines have grown tremendously fast. Internet in China is cheap. I myself pay 90RMB ($10.87) per month for an 8mb/s ADSL line. Chinese internet cafes are even cheaper, the average hourly rate is a mere 1.5RMB ($0.18). The problem is that many kids skip school to go play games online. This problem was also seen in Taiwan a couple years ago, where the government issued laws to shut down internet cafes located near schools (I lived in Taiwan from 2000-2004).

In brief, this problem is probably more serious than it reads from a perspective from here (the USA). And again, there's more Chinese people than anything, so 2.5 million is actually quite little as a percentage.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Duh..

I dont think thats an addiction,instead there should be a clinic for spamming a.k.a "high volume power posting" addiction.

Rik

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkPotHead said:
Same here.... so; I'm not addicted, I'm just bored!

David.