Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I think I'm getting arthritis or something

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Technetium, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

I think I'm getting arthritis or something

For my job, I do data entry. My right hand enters thousands and thousands of numbers and other characters each day using the numpad. I started in early February, and already I am having a lot of problems. I have a deep pain located somewhere around where my thumb joins my hand. My thumb gets the most work as it is used to hit the 0-key on the numpad. I have other lesser pains in my knuckes on the other fingers, and sometimes right in the palm through to the back of my hand. I do not have any wrist pain, though, because I know how to avoid damaging the nerves in the carpal tunnel. My wrist stays still pretty much the whole time and it is my fingers that do the work. They advocate this method to avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but it sure hurts the rest of my hand.

Sleep seems to have little benefit for the next day. Usually when I wake up, and move my hand, there is a sudden shock of pain followed by a dull ache that stays all day.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to cause my right hand permanent damage, especially since I am so strongly right-handed that I cannot do much with my left alone. But I need this job. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Take some Advil until you can get to a doctor.

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

You really do need to see a doctor. It still might be carpal tunnel, which my wife had and is easily treatable these days with minor surgery (you will be recovering for a while, but it's worth it). Or it could be something else.
    Good answer, eh? It might be carpal tunnel syndrome, or it might be something else. Sometimes my own brilliance astounds me.
    Do see a doctor to be sure. You might cripple yourself otherwise.

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Yeah you should definitly see a doctor if you dont wanna cause any serious damage. Like you said, your not gonna like it if you end up needing to use your left hand for everything.

5. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

AFter you go to a doctor, get your company to pay for a large wrist rest of the gel-filled variety. It should help.

Also, make sure your avoiding one problem creates another: If your keyboard is pushed far onto the table, the edge of the table itself may be putting pressure on nerves further down your arm. (Think how hitting your funnybone makes your hand tingle.)

Hope this helps.

6. bagar

bagar IncGamers Member

Some advice

Your pain can have some different origins. Since the hand has quite an intricate build it's also kind of sensitive. Others have mentioned carpal tunnel syndrome, where the median nerve gets too constricted in your wrist. It's a condition that doesn't really correlate with your symtoms. There are a few tests you can do to have a clue if that's the case though. Something to think about for others with wrist problems perhaps. :)

One is to bend your wrist forward "as much as you can" and hold it for a while (half a minute to a minute). Don't use your healthy hand to bend yor wrist. If you start feeling pain in the wrist that preferrably also radiates upwards your arm towards your elbow you have a significant chance of having carpal tunnel syndrome. The other test is simply to peck your own wrist, or have someone else doing it, approximately where your skin folds when you bend your wrist. If you feel a sensation in your arm, you have another sign.

You have two other nerves in your hand/wrist that may pose problems too. The one that may or may not be involved in your case is the radial nerve that leaps in another "tunnel" alongside some muscles to the thumb. You can somewhat test if you have "radial tunnel syndrome" by bending your thumb inwards toward your palm and your little finger - clenching your fist. Then you deviate your wrist towards the "ulnar side". In other words you bend your wrist in the same direction as your little finger: right on your right hand. If you feel significant pain that may or may not radiate you have a positive sign.

Other possibilitys that can explain your condition is different kind of muscular pain, osteoarthritis and more.

I'll say as the others though. Go see a doctor about it. I don't know how things are in the USA (as i guess you're from) but where i'm from this would be a problem you could go to your company's doc for an examination and hopefully a fix without having to spend money yourself.