Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I think I screwed up... (whirlwind)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Siyko, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Siyko

Siyko IncGamers Member

I think I screwed up... (whirlwind)

Hi. I'm making my first whirlwind barb on USWest. I was allured by the long sexual shaft of the warpike, and was going to build a 'robopike' as i saw in a guide (60s eth wpike w/ zod,shael, 4x40/15ias). In my infinite wisdom, I came up with the brilliant idea to instead use an ebotd warpike, and put a couple 15IAS jewels in my helm/armor. This of course ended in tears as I read about breakpoints and how WW only cares about WIAS.

Am I right in deciding to trade the warpike for a CB and reroll with a new mastery?

Or is there another weapon (i saw an Oath Champion Sword that looked promosing, but I was apprehensive) that would serve my purpouse for a max-damage -60 whirlwind?

I'm just lost in which direction to go in now. Thanks.

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

In spears, BotD ghost spear hits max whirl break. However, the Great Pole Axe is better if you're interested in using 2h weapons. That takes pole mastery.

Of course, dual wielding two 1h weapons actually generates more damage than 2-handers. If you go for that, you're looking for axes. Grief/beast is the most overall damage, while BotD/Beast or BotD/BotD in berserker axes is better for PvM.

-Hal

3. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Don't let yourself get obsessed by the "max whirl speed is a must" lore. You can do perfectly well with 1 breakpoint less than the max. With ebotd warpike, you whirl a little slower, but you get a bit of a compensation by the higher average damage of the pike.

For the record, I'm planning on making a ebotd warpike whirler myself. Going to max damage, e.g. sticking damage jewels in 4 socks armor, lots of deadly strike, etc ;)

4. SirBeetle

SirBeetle IncGamers Member

dude, screw the bp bullcrap for now. I have a wp whirler that does 14k ww dmg. I might not hit the last bp for ww, but it doesn't matter. With the range and the looks you get from a warpike, you can't go wrong. I use botd btw that has a max dmg of 1294. And much cooler than other cookie cutter ww barb builds.

And use fort, it'll add about 4k damage for ya with a warpike botd.

5. Siyko

Siyko IncGamers Member

What are the mechanics for dual wielding with whirlwind? I looked around but could never find any information about it. Just double the whirlwind hits or what?

6. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

When dual-wielding, only the primary weapon has a hitcheck on the 4th frame. Both the secondary and primary have hitchecks on follow-up frames (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40 ...).

7. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Just a small addition. When the weapons have different whirlwind speeds, the game will calculate speed alternating between weaps if you're not hitting monsters, or use always the speed of one of the weaps if you are hitting stuff (could be the slowest weap, though!).

There's some extra info about it at the arreat summit.