Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I saw something today that disturbed me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, May 26, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

I saw something today that disturbed me

I stopped in my local quickie mart this evening to pick up some eggs. I was the first in a line of about 5 people. As I was leaving, a man came in and held the door open for me.

As I went to my car, I saw the car next to me running, doors not locked and a toddler in the back seat. I couldn't believe that someone would leave their child in the back seat of a running car with the door unlocked.

To be honest with you, I wanted to call the police and give them the plate # of the car. What I did do, was back out slowly and keep an eye in my rear view mirror until that "parent" returned to the car.

I am still thinking that I made the wrong decision. I should have called someone. I would NEVER leave my child alone in the car especially with the car running and the doors unlocked.

Just to let you all know, when I got in my car, I noticed the toddler in the car with no adult or sibling, saw the car was running then looked at the locks. The car was parked right next to mine.

2. Njx

Njx Diabloii.Net Member

I'm preeetty sure your overreacting. Its a convenience store, it takes 2 minutes. Also, what is your qualm with the car running ? Someones gonna jump in and steal it ? pfff, I sincerely doubt that. I've seen much worse things. Calling the police because someone left they're child in a running car while they went to get some milk from the convenience store is pretty irrational.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

umm, yea, that's the idea...

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

You obviously don't have kids. There is no such thing as a mother overreacting.

And it takes 60 seconds to steal a car.

You'd better believe it. Lots of cars get stolen because some asshat left it running. You're an even bigger asshat if you leave your kid in your car.

Unless you've seen a dead child, you're a liar.

Please remove yourself from the gene pool. Do it productively if you must, go become a monk. But whatever you do, don't breed.

5. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

what's a kid sell for on ebay these days?

i would have stayed behind to ream the parent out.

6. Ev_

Ev_ Diabloii.Net Member

Do me a favor...don't ever have kids.

7. Ranger14

Ranger14 Diabloii.Net Member

It takes but a few seconds for someone to hop into the care and drive off. You were not over-reacting Zodiac.

For someone who thinks it is ridiculous...is very sad. :rolleyes: Tell that to the all the parents who have had a child abducted in the same exact situation. I will assure you there are thousands of them.

8. zodiac66

I can't even begin to tell you what when through my mind. It was a newer Chrysler..ripe for stealing. The car was running with the door unlocked. The owner was in line at the quickie mart. Since there was a child in the back seat..I kept an eye out. How many carjackings happen with the parent IN the car..this was just ripe for stealing.

The toddler looked to be my daughters age. I would never leave her in the car alone..running or not. Maybe the guy thought since he was in a semi-affluent community it was ok. It is never ok to leave a child of that age in the car alone.

And actually..it would take less that 10 seconds to steal a car that is running with the doors unlocked.

I just don't understand some parents.

Njx...I hope you never have kids. If you think leaving your very young child alone is ok in a running car with the doors unlocked is ok..you should never be a parent.

9. Njx

Njx Diabloii.Net Member

Whatever you guys say, that kind of crap doesn't happen around here much, and in broad daylight I wouldn't be worried about it. You guys all assume if I were to have a child I would do the same thing, which is incorrect. I was merely stating that calling hte police on someone that does so is overreacting and I stand fast to the opinion.

And Smeg, shut the hell up, you are the one that needs to remove YOURself from the genepool, by whichever means necessary, and by that, I mean offing yourself. Thanks, and get a clue.

10. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe i'm beating the dead horse (as what's his face's avatar illustrates) but yeah... I dont think i've heard of a parent do a thing stupider (unintentially). One time my parents left me at a convinience store (with red necks) in another country (canada...couldn't have picked a cooler place :cool: ) but yeah, atleast i didn't have a car theif taking me around :cry:

now now now lets not start flamming people,

11. zodiac66

It doesn't happen much around here either..but you never know.

Would you leave your most precious item, unattended for any amount of time at a quickie mart?

12. P2blr

P2blr Diabloii.Net Member

what happens when you bring a child in to a store that sells candy and toys and try to get out in a short amount of time and with only what you came in for?

EDIT: honestly, the only problem I see is leaving the car doors unlocked and the car running, as I was frequently left in the car by myself cause I just didn't feel like going in the store; most of the time I could get a very quality nap in.

13. zodiac66

In that case..who is the one in charge?

A parent has to be a parent. There is no excuse to leave a young child in a car.

Your example is one of convenience..not good parenting.

14. kobold

kobold Banned

So once or twice a year makes it ok?

Think about it, regardless of where you live, do you know everyone, and would you trust them with a toddler? No way in hell I would with my girls...

*tries to put down the matches for the bonfire...*

15. hacchantal

hacchantal Diabloii.Net Member

It was nice of you to keep an eye on the child until the parent came back. I know what you mean about just leaving a child in the car alone; you can never trust this world anymore. There wasn't really anything you can do... imo. Maybe talk to the parent and tell them the things that could happen? I dunno =)

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Then not only are you irresponsible but a hipocrite

Do I sense a bit of hostility? Perhaps a desire to do harm? By all means, please do make every attempt possible.

17. S Z

S Z Diabloii.Net Member

For what it is worth, I agree with you Zodi. Though I must admit, I don't subscribe to Smegs advice for Njx.

To be honest, after seeing reports of kids dying of heat stroke in the back of a car because the parent lost track of time, I'd be hesitant to leave a kid in the car full stop.

Leaving the car running under pretty much any circumstances seems pretty nuts to me though, so I am perhaps a bit over zealous on this topic.:lipsrsealed:

18. zodiac66

Maybe I am overprotective..well, yes I am, its not a maybe.

I do not even leave Samara in the apartment alone while doing laundry on the first floor. She has to come with me. I do not leave her alone while I get the mail..she comes with me. If Liam is around, that is different. He can keep an eye out, but the door is still locked.

A parent never, ever leaves a toddler alone under NO circumstance. Toddlers have a wonderlust and will get into anything quickly. A toddler is not old enough to escape out of a car that was carjacked (this one at least was in a booster seat).

19. evild2player

evild2player Diabloii.Net Member

I think there would be more people aiming to kidnap a child than people hijacking a car. It would take 5 seconds opening a door and pulling the girl out. Leaving a child in a car unintended is always a serious thing.. No matter what the conditions were (okay maybe if it was really serious.. then yeah). I've been left in the car alone a handful of times, but the doors were LOCKED and my parents always left me the keys.

20. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Go over to the pics of your kids thread and show Njx why parents are passionate about keeping kids safe. I'll kill anybody that messes with my son. Preferably in the most violent and messy manner possible.