I Quit Diablo and I'm Happier Than Ever

TriggerHappy

Diabloii.Net Member
I Quit Diablo and I'm Happier Than Ever

I used this forum for quite a while and many of you may recognize my name, maybe even noticed I have not been posting for a some time. I haven't been playing Diablo since July and it has been the best decision of my life. I was one of the people who was playing when they got home from school, playing at night, always in the trade channels, always looking for good Baal runs, building sick characters. For what it's worth, Diablo II is, in my opinion, the greatest computer game ever invented. The dynamic combination of item finding, leveling, and questing always made me want to play more. There was a time I could tell you the exact value of any item in the game. Whenever I played Diablo time would fly by. I can even say I learned a lot about economics and patients playing this game. As great and fun as this game is, there is a lot more to life than video games. Sure its fun to fire-up the Nintendo when you have some down time, but when you begin to spend most of your free time on video games, you have a problem and you should quit. Face it; all this is is pixels on a screen and data on a server. It’s not real. It’s not tangible. Even if you built an account full of level 99 characters with perfect equipment, it doesn't matter one bit in the real world. No video game is better than a crazy night out with you friends, coming home the next morning and feeling like 'wow, what happened last night'. No video game is better than spending time with a girlfriend. No video game is better than playing sports. No one is interested in your story how you found a perfect HoZ from Meph, because it isn't real. Life is real. Video games are not. Go out of your rooms away from computers and discover that there is more fulfilling things in this world than pixels on a computer screen.

GreyGhost

Banned
Woah. Rant much?

What if I build 99 accounts full of level 99 characters with perfect gear and sell it all for a bajillion dollars? Then who's been wasting his life? Pixels on a screen, my butt.

Look, I hate to break it to you, but your friends aren't that interesting, your girlfriend is a bit chubby, and you're not very athletic. Diablo is the only thing you were good at.

You'll be back.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member
alert("Hello World");

function game() {
While ($Game < $Life) {
Game.close();
$quit_game = "true";
$Game = $newGame
$Game.play()
}
Game.play();
$quit_game = "false";
}

Woah. Rant much?

What if I build 99 accounts full of level 99 characters with perfect gear and sell it all for a bajillion dollars? Then who's been wasting his life? Pixels on a screen, my butt.

Look, I hate to break it to, but your friends aren't that interesting, your girlfriend is a bit chubby, and you're not very athletic. Diablo is the only thing you were good at.

You'll be back.
LAWL!!!
Chubby, eh?

You can always sell your items... I have a friend whose friend knows the guy who owns the vritems website... you know... those spambots?

He makes LOADS of money, I bet.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Video Games are for fun. Playing them for any other reason is weird. Saying that Video Games suck because they're not real is kind of like saying that books are bad because they're just words. Or saying that eating is bad because in three days it'll be gone. (awesome analogies, I know :grin:)

If you don't like the Video Game, don't play it. By all means, leave. If you like it though...why not play? Addiction is one thing, amusement is another. :smiley:

GreyGhost

Banned
Video Games are for fun. Playing them for any other reason is weird. Saying that Video Games suck because they're not real is kind of like saying that books are bad because they're just words. Or saying that eating is bad because in three days it'll be gone. (awesome analogies, I know :grin:)

If you don't like the Video Game, don't play it. By all means, leave. If you like it though...why not play? Addiction is one thing, amusement is another. :smiley:
I like how you capitalize Video Game. That's a serious gamer there.

FirsTimer

Diabloii.Net Member
Trigger's back! and he's gone =(

I would rather spend an evening playing Diablo than hang out with my douchebag friends, but that's another story. Glad to hear you've figured out that there is more to life than Diablo. Hopefully next on your to do list is the meaning of "moderation" or the OTF, either one works =)

Zalcitabine

Diabloii.Net Member
Woah. Rant much?

Look, I hate to break it to, but your friends aren't that interesting, your girlfriend is a bit chubby, and you're not very athletic. Diablo is the only thing you were good at.

You'll be back.

Wow, whats wrong with some people here?

@TriggerHappy: Happy to hear that you enjoy your break. I almost never played D2 in the last 2 months and been doing much more constructive things. The few time i played i must say that i enjoted it much more than when i was playing it non-stop.

Diablo 2 is indeed a very addictive game, and playing it too much is problem many people face. They just don't know or won't recognize it.

GreyGhost

Banned
I'm not that sure, you know. Even if he was, his post was rude and inapropriate.

Anyhow, the OT wasn't joking and i'm sure he didn't want this kind of response.

It's spelled Zalcitabine, BTW.
Wow, you're so sensitive. You must be his girlfriend. Sorry I called you chubby.

IntelligentX

Diabloii.Net Member
Trigger, somehow you have inspired me again it is only a game, but more or less this game gives me too much negative impact to my real life already :azn:
I am not blaming the game, I am pretty much blaming myself for can't hold myself for playing a long time :azn:

Metalshredderr

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea, trigger, you've inspired me too.

I was thinking of re-buying this game next week after a 5-year hiatus...but now I'm having second thoughts...

GreyGhost

Banned
Thanks for the flames but i wont bite, just report.

:wave:
Whatever. You were the one who called my posts inappropriate and rude, even though my comments were not directed at you.

The OP was calling me, you, all of us, dorks with no lives. Your hostilities should be directed at him, not me.

And YES my reply was meant to be a joke, which you obviously don't have the facilities to interpret on a rational level.

arcticknight

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people that play this game all the time, and maybe they don't want/need that other attention from other things. Maybe not everyone has good friends they want to hang out with. Maybe they don't want to think 'man, wtf happened last night' when they wake up. There are worse bad habits than video games I must say. Nothing you do on a video game can affect you like doing something stupid in real life and having long term effects. Yeah, I see your point, but if you find a nice balance between the two, then you have a well rounded life.

Zalcitabine

Diabloii.Net Member
Whatever. You were the one who called my posts inappropriate and rude, even though my comments were not directed at you.

The OP was calling me, you, all of us, dorks with no lives. Your hostilities should be directed at him, not me.

And YES my reply was meant to be a joke, which you obviously don't have the facilities to interpret on a rational level.
That's interesting, i didn't see the dork-with-no-life-thing you mentionned; maybe i, unlike you, didn't feel concerned?

There's a world between directing hostilities toward someone and saying that his post was rude and inapropriate.

Of course your first post was a (bad) joke, but it doesn't make your post more appropriate.

I think it's time the thread returns on topic.

IntelligentX

Diabloii.Net Member
Some people that play this game all the time, and maybe they don't want/need that other attention from other things. Maybe not everyone has good friends they want to hang out with. Maybe they don't want to think 'man, wtf happened last night' when they wake up. There are worse bad habits than video games I must say. Nothing you do on a video game can affect you like doing something stupid in real life and having long term effects. Yeah, I see your point, but if you find a nice balance between the two, then you have a well rounded life.
I have played with a friend in like 2 years already, and I can't believe he is 40 and has a family already when he told me :shocked:
Although he has quited, but we were still in contact in real life via emails. That's probably a "real" friend I have made from Diablo 2 :azn:
Still, like you have said, life will be great if those two are balanced, but it seems it is too late for me now :azn:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
What you get out of any experience, in games or in "real life", is intangible. And if you want friends who share your enthusiasm, it isn't hard to find them.