I need to break my addiction

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
I'd suggest Diet Coke - the effect on your corpse - er, body is the stuff of (urban) legend.
Wow, you'd think I was making a joke about aspartame & urban legends or something...

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
DC, go with lots of fresh fruit. I like honeydew, canteloupe, raspberries, and blueberries. I also go with the whole grain wheat bread. I still drink soda now and again but I also drink tons of water.

Amra said:
DC, go with lots of fresh fruit. I like honeydew, canteloupe, raspberries, and blueberries. I also go with the whole grain wheat bread. I still drink soda now and again but I also drink tons of water.
Here're my issues with this--I'm trying to be realistic:

Fruit is expensive--so is soda, but bear with me.

I'm lazy. Having a steady supply of fruit with me at work requires preparation and having my head on straight in the morning, neither of which are my fortes. I'll inevitably prepare something and leave it on my coffee table, or worse, in my car.

I'm easily bored with something. The cheapest way I've found to buy fruit is to get whatever's on sale. This means buying half a dozen apples, a whole watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, etc. Unfortunately, I know myself too well to do this. I'll eat it for a day or two, and tire of having eaten watermelon for every snack for two days, and not touch it again for a few. By the time I get back to it, it's rotting and very nasty. If I buy more than one type of fruit, there's too much for me to finish before it rots. In any case I'm wasting money.

So yeah, I agree this is a great idea, but I don't think I could realistically pull it off. Living alone means I either have to buy in small quantities (like those pre-cut chunks of melon that cost more than the melons themselves), or throw half of everything out periodically.

Or you could become the "Fruit Guy" at work and leave whatever you don't think you'll eat for everyone else. Or maybe you could give it to someone special?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're just looking to satisfy your oral fixation, here's three really odd tips that have helped me.

1) Brush your teeth more often. No one wanted to eat/drink anything after they've brushed their teeth. And it's healthy too!

2) Eat pickles. Does anything else taste good after you eat a pickle? Nope not really. Although high in sodium, they have practically zero calories. I've found it's something to much on, some flavor in the mouth, but a good crave killer.

3) If you're going to chew on something, and you're sick of gum, try dry pasta. Just get a piece of spaghetti and nibble on it. Seriously, it works for me.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
I went through this about 6-8 years ago so I know it can be done. I was a 6 large coffees with 6-8 sugars each and regular coke guy up to that point.

My first switch was taking the sugar out of my coffee. I found it was much easier to get used to the change in taste in the coffee so I started there. Took less than 2 weeks to stop missing the sweetness in the coffee.

From there I swapped out coke for diet coke. I initially hated the taste of Diet coke and didn't drink much of it, drinking water instead but over the course of about 6-12 months I found myself drinking more and more diet coke and instances where I noticed the taste change became less and less frequent.

My final change given that I still drink a lot of coffee (though not quite as much) was to swap diet coke for caffiene free diet coke. Now my only source of caffiene is the coffee and I'm comfortable with that.

In terms of weight at the time I was a lazy slug, and despite this and an otherwise horrendous diet I levelled off in weight at about 190 lbs, I had been gaining steadily about 10 lbs a year so levelling off was good.

Since I moved into my house and have actual physical activity to do I've been dropping weight, down to 168 which I haven't been since college. This is eating like a horse, tremendously unhealthy food, only having cut out suger in my drinks (other than booze of course :D ) with no exercise beyond normal household activities like lawn mowing.

Now I can't stand anything sweet, a sip of regular pop leaves me gagging.

Not as hard as it sounds.

Dutch

Arbedark said:
What about DRIED fruit?

Doesnt go off. Still full of sugar. And Usually Cheaper!
Indeed. And I love the stuff. Problem is...well. Let's just say you don't want to be in the same room with me after I eat it. And I work in an open office where 40 or so employees all work in close proximity, so I'd be offending at least 4, and in truly bad cases up to 12.

Dutch, similar situation. Sounds like you've done what I've wanted to do. Since I stopped growing in college, I've gained a little over 30 lbs, about the same as you--10 lbs a year. At first it wasn't a big deal, but now that I've broken the 210 mark I'm a wee bit concerned. I can carry it for now, but if it continues I'm gonna start looking fat.

Twoflower

Banned
i found the only way for me to quit things is to overdo it till i realy realy feel in every inch of my body that it isnt what i want

once i reach this conclusion i never had problems whit stopping anything cold turkey. well taht s only me, but maybee it helps you too

needs a strong will though :)

garublador

Diabloii.Net Member
YMMV on all this, but some of it may help.

Personally, I've had good luck with unsweetned tea. I wasn't ever all that addicted to caffine so cutting what little I ingest hasn't been a priority for me and I happen to like the taste of tea. You'll get a little lower, but longer caffine buzz, no sugar and probably some sort of antioxidants that are apparently good for you. I've also had good luck with juices that don't contain added sugars (anything that has high fructose corn syrup is bad). Tropicana is my favorite. It is expensive, but so is pop and it does keep better than most fruit. I'm not sure if the whole no-high-fructose-corn-syrup thing has any sort of scientific merit, but I do think I heard it somewhere.

I've also started bringing in my lunch to work. It almost always consists of an orange, a banana, a couple of small pieces of chocolate and then a Gladware container filled with leftovers from the night before. I've found that oranges keep pretty good for a week (I shop on Sundays so I'll buy enough for a week of lunches) and bananas are fine if you get some that are ripe for the beginning of the week and some green ones for the end of the week. The end of the week ones will look brown but be perfect on the inside.

I thought I'd miss the extra sugar a lot more than I do. It was difficult for a week or so but now regular pop tastes really sweet. I'll still order a glass in a restaurant every once in a while when tea doesn't sound good.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Here're my issues with this--I'm trying to be realistic:

Fruit is expensive--so is soda, but bear with me.

I'm lazy. Having a steady supply of fruit with me at work requires preparation and having my head on straight in the morning, neither of which are my fortes. I'll inevitably prepare something and leave it on my coffee table, or worse, in my car.

I'm easily bored with something. The cheapest way I've found to buy fruit is to get whatever's on sale. This means buying half a dozen apples, a whole watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, etc. Unfortunately, I know myself too well to do this. I'll eat it for a day or two, and tire of having eaten watermelon for every snack for two days, and not touch it again for a few. By the time I get back to it, it's rotting and very nasty. If I buy more than one type of fruit, there's too much for me to finish before it rots. In any case I'm wasting money.

So yeah, I agree this is a great idea, but I don't think I could realistically pull it off. Living alone means I either have to buy in small quantities (like those pre-cut chunks of melon that cost more than the melons themselves), or throw half of everything out periodically.

I understand. It can be a pain in the butt to prepare the fruit for the week and then forget to bring it in one day. I have several tupperware containers that I use for this reason alone.

For me it's better to waste a little bit of fruit then to not eat any at all. Raspberries are the hardest as they seems to spoil much faster than other fruit.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
When I was a soph in high school I dropped ten pounds by cutting out Dr Pepper all at once. Now I cant even drink caffienated stuff from a can, it burns worse than Wild Turkey. Fountain drinks I can take.

Anyway, go to the store and buy you a 24 pack of 500 ml Dasani's or Aquafinas, they're the best tastin water out there. And yes there is a difference in drinking water and spring water, Im a drinkin water guy myself.

Buy you some Extra gum, its sugarless and it gives you somethin to chew on.

One thing I've been doing as of late is eating less, but more often. I have breakfast, lunch at 12, another lunch at 3, then dinner. I've dropped about 3 inches in the waist in 6 weeks.

Amra said:
For me it's better to waste a little bit of fruit then to not eat any at all. Raspberries are the hardest as they seems to spoil much faster than other fruit.
Ugh, raspberries basically have to be eaten before going to bed the day they're bought or they can be written off as bad. As it is I get home from the grocery half the time to find that underneath the top layer half of them are green and fuzzy.

At any rate, an update--I made it through the day yesterday on only two Dr. Peppers. On track to do the same today, though it might wind up being three. Either is better than 7.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Ugh, raspberries basically have to be eaten before going to bed the day they're bought or they can be written off as bad. As it is I get home from the grocery half the time to find that underneath the top layer half of them are green and fuzzy.
I would suggest going to a different store. It sounds like the raspberries are getting warm during shipping or at the store. I find they usually are good for two days or so if kept cold.

DrunkCajun said:
At any rate, an update--I made it through the day yesterday on only two Dr. Peppers. On track to do the same today, though it might wind up being three. Either is better than 7.
Good for you.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
Just wanted to add that from what I understand both Diet Coke and Coffee are appetite suppresants, so should cut down on the munching as well.

Dutch