Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need to break my addiction

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Jun 8, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I need to break my addiction

To caffeine and sugar. I've become aware of the fact that I'm hitting somewhere north of 5 cans of Dr. Pepper a day at work, and I don't need the lectures on how god-awful this is for me, I'm well aware. As it is I want to lose about 15 pounds, and I think cutting a substantial amount of this crap out of my system would be at the very least a huge start in that process.

So any pointers? I've not had my usual morning injection today, and I'm already struggling. Probably doesn't help that I got 5 hours of sleep, but that's about normal for me anyway.

Will black coffee help? I drink the stuff black, though avoided it today as the heat index in DC is 105 and the idea of drinking a 140 degree beverage didn't appeal to me. That said, I'm shaking from caffeine withdrawal.

I've tried switching to Gatorade to have something to drink (I have an oral fixation, and having something to drink helps--used to smoke and I think it has something to do with this.), but am wondering if that's really any better for me.

At any rate, suggestions on things I can snack on through the day and what sort of drinks I could pick up (I take a drink break every 2 hours or so) would be appreciated.

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Start smoking ;)

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Diet pop. Diet Dr. Pepper is pretty good, too. Sure it's still loaded with caffeine but for the time being, it will get rid of the empty calories.

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Water is a good start, I used to drink Pepsi on the average of 2 or 3 20 oz. a day. For now, replace two of those Dr Pepper's with the same amount of water. then over a week work it to more water and less pop ...try to get to the point of drinking mostly water instead of any pop during the day, throw in juice, snapple, or gatorade if you tire of water all the time.

As far as snacks go, fruit, yogurt, granola bars, quaker breakfast squares, veggies, are all good ideas.

Try to cut down on candy if you have a sweet tooth.

It helps.

5. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Where did Dr. Pepper go to medical school?

Step one: switch to diet sodas...you won't drink as many because they don't taste as good as the ones full of sugar (this way, you cut down both on sugar and caffeine)

Step two: eat more fruit (this will satisfy some of the sugar cravings that you are about to get following cessation of ubiquitous sugar-laden soda ingestion)

Step three: don't quit cold turkey...everything in moderation (cut down to two regular sodas a day, so as to satisfy the caffeine craving without going back to square one and drinking five a day...each 12oz can contains about 30-50mg of caffeine and the human body can only take 250-300mg/day before weird things start to happen, like arrhythmias and respiratory distress)

6. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I've read a couple studies on soda and the best for your body and teeth is a&w rootbeer. It has the least amount of preservatives of any soda, no caffiene, and less sugar. It also doesn't decay your teeth like lemon/lime sodas or coke/pepsi.

Personally, I take a performance mulitvitamin with a glass of orange juice in the morning. You'll be healthier, more awake, and there's still sugar in orange juice, but it's a simple sugar so its better for your body than fortified or complex sugars.

I used to down a 32 oz cup of coffee in the morning to keep alert, but I always crashed a hour or two later and needed more caffiene; of course I was only getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night at that point. Overall, of everything I've tried, 6-7 hours of sleep, a multivitamin and orange juice have worked the best for me.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

That explains the feeling of my heart jumping outta my chest whenever I was working on papers in college....the ritalin probably exacerbated that too, eh? Yikes.

8. Necrolestes

Take two and call me when I'm sober.

Considering that ritalin is an amphetamine derivative and can accelerate the heart, yes, I'd say that's a distinct possibility. I would advise (keep in mind, this is only friendly advice and not medical advice...until I'm a full DO, I have to offer this disclaimer) that you reduce your caffeine intake to 150mg/day (three cans of soda or about 5 cups of regular strength coffee) to limit the chances of developing a tachyarrhymia (a speading-up pattern of heart beats).

Of course, if Aeval was helping you with those papers, that might explain the heart pounding better.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

:lol:

Well I'm not in college anymore, so no more of that nonsense of staying up 3 days at a time fueled by adrenaline, amphetamines, and caffeine.

At any rate, 3 sounds reasonable. I don't feel so bad about wanting to break down and have one now. I think I'll need a nap without it anyway.

What about Gatorade? Is that okay to drink obsessively? I like the stuff, and I could probably replace Dr. Pepper with that. I have a feeling though that if I'm not terribly active it probably won't be much better for me than Dr. Pepper. Anyone can answer this?

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Whatever you do, don't start drinking Red Bull...you can kiss your teeth goodbye. That stuff is worse than any cola.

Gatorade is good

11. Necrolestes

Crocodile Juice just doesn't have the same ring

If you have functioning kidneys, yes (Gatorade contains a lot of electrolytes that the healthy body can both use and get rid of if needs dictate; a failing body doesn't want too many electrolytes because it can neither use them nor get rid of them if they begin to accumulate...in particular, the potassium levels in Gatorade are a cause for concern if you don't have a working renal system as high potassium can cause cardiac failure).

I wouldn't advise drinking more than two bottles a day at any rate (the body just doesn't need that extra juice unless it's working really hard).

12. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

You think you have a problem?

I drink 2 cans of red bull within 20 minutes, and pass out 10 minutes later. I'm really immune to caffeine due to my huge soda consumption when i was younger. Now i drink a lot less soda, i try to drink water/powerade instead.

Btw, does anyone know how many mg's of caffeine are in each red bull? It doesn't state on the can.

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

No idea on caffiene, but it's like car battery acid on your teeth.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Here's my path to (relative) success. I've got an oral fixation like you do, I like to be drinking or nibbling on something all the time when I'm at my desk. What I did was switch from Coke to Diet Coke, (Diet Coke with Splenda rules). And I started filling old 2-liters with water and putting them by my desk. So instead of drinking a 2-liter of Coke in a day, I drank a liter of Diet Coke and a liter of water. Sure, I have to pee a lot, but that's just a nice break for work. Anyway, now I'm switching from diet colas to diet clear sodas like Sierra Mist or Sprite to get away from the caffeine. And I drink more water now than ever. Because I stay so hydrated, I honestly have felt healthier, and happier, and near headache free.

15. Aradhai

Aradhai Banned

You will have some withdrawal symptoms but they should soon go away :). Keep at it (I need to lose some chub too)

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'd suggest Diet Coke - the effect on your corpse - er, body is the stuff of (urban) legend.

Failing that, try Diet Jolt, if you can get it. I don't believe Red Bull affords that aged RC-Cola taste you obviously crave.

17. Undisputed Ruler of All

Undisputed Ruler of All IncGamers Member

I hate to argue with everyone else, but I would advise against the diet pop. They haven't proven it yet, but I'm convinced that aspartame is carcinogenic! My brother had a real problem with the caffeine as well. He used to drink at least two litres of Pepsi almost every day, supplemented with lots of chocolate and several coffees... Then for reasons unknown to me, he stopped consuming caffeine. For a very long time he just... didn't. Then when he met his deadline and was going to allow himself to consume caffeine, he didn't even want to. He doesn't drink coffee all that much anymore, and isn't big on chocolate or pepsi either.

18. Necrolestes

All things being Equal (or simply Splenda)...

Aspartame is non-carcinogenic in the human population (likewise, neither is saccharin...both have caused cancer in lab rats but not in humans). If you have a condition called PKU (phenylketonuria), you can't take aspartame because it contains the amino acid phenylalanine (which normal people can metabolize but PKU patients cannot...this leads to a toxic buildup of the substance and that can lead to death).

19. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

If you drink diet coke with splenda you don't even have to worry about aspartame.

What I do that no one has mentioned is drink tea. In the summer when I get to work I brew up an entire nalgene of tea or green tea and throw it in the fridge for an hour. The rest of the day I have great unsweetened fresh iced tea to sip on. I also drink water like a maniac. Drinking tea is also really cheap since you can get like a million tea bags for 3 bucks.

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

According to my mom(registered nurse, teaches diabetes umm stuff) Gatorade isn't much better for you than pop. Same with most juices. Of course she is looking at the sugar and salt, but those are the two things helping you keep that weight on.

Propel is exactly 1/4 of the stuff in gatorade, but it has all the flavor. You also drink it faster since it is a bit lighter going down. If you can get that it would probably help a bit more. Currently I can only find it in sport bottles(I need it in the gallon jugs), but try Strawberry-Kiwi and Black Cherry, stay far far away from Lemon.