Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

i need tips on how to get rich in the game?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by corropted-soul, Apr 7, 2005.

1. corropted-soul

corropted-soul Diabloii.Net Member

i need tips on how to get rich in the game?

hi all , i need to know some hint on how to get rich in the game(getting items)

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

Advice for the neophyte

If you're just starting out, you have to get lucky (you start with 0 magic find, henceforth abbreviated MF). The various caves strewn throughout act I (Den of Evil, the Cave level 2, the Pit level 2, the Hole level 2) are a good place to get some easy rare items (they aren't good rares, being act I normals, but they are a start and some of them come with magic find attributes).

You have to hunt down EVERY MONSTER. I cannot stress this enough (not every monster will drop something, let alone something useful, so you have to kill a lot of them to boost your chances of getting something good). The other night, I was just starting a new necromancer and he happened across the Gull dagger (the damage is pitiful, even for act I, but it has a 100% MF attribute so if there was only a 3% chance of a monster dropping a rare, there was now a 6% chance...doesn't seem like much but it does make a difference).

You have to search EVERY BARREL and EVERY CHEST. Some of these will be locked or trapped (the barrels in the Forgotten Tower and the Jails are often booby trapped with the equivalent of corpse explosion...have potions and fire resistances at the ready to deal with them). You won't get much more than gold from the barrels but the chests can yield godly items or in some instances, absolutely nothing (this will be more common in act I and act II...by act IV, most chests will drop something).

You have to GAMBLE at least once in the game. The odds are against you, admittedly, and the price to buy increases with your level (the price to sell remains dependent on which act you're in while on normal difficulty-5000 max in I, 10000 max in II, 15000 max in III, 20000 max in IV, and if you have the expansion pack, 25000 in V; once you reach Nightmare difficulty, every act has a max sell price of 30000 and once you reach Hell, that max sell price increases to 35000). MF has NO effect on what you can get; only your current level dictates how nice or how crummy the item you gamble for will be (I've wasted 50000 on a +1 to light ring and 50000 on a Dwarf Star unique ring; you never know what you will get).

You have to COLLECT RUNES and GEMS. If you're playing in single player mode, your cube recipes (from the Horadric cube you collect in act II; you can have only one but boy is it useful) are unparalleled in their usefulness (you have both standard recipes and if you have the expansion, you also have ladder recipes). If you're playing on Bnet and you aren't a ladder player, your recipes are a bit more limited. You can also make expensive and valuable rune words (you'll need more information than I can provide for this one; check out www.battle.net/diablo2exp and click on Rune Words to find out more). Gems are necessary for some cube recipes and if you're in SP mode, they are more useful as trade bait (a perfect gem of any variety can sell for 15000; again, you'll only get this max price from act III normal and above). In Bnet or MP modes, you can either trade the gems to another player (the price will vary by player and items asked for) or use them in ladder only cube recipes (again, SP with the expansion will allow you to use ladder recipes).

Look for SPECIFIC MODIFIERS on weapons, armor, charms (expansion only), jewelry, and jewels (again, expansion only). Look for attributes that boost magic find or, failing that, boosts to monster gold dropped (this is beneficial if you want to gamble or repair an expensive item).
    If you follow all of the above advice, you'll be rich in no time (well, several hours, but for some, that is no time at all).

3. djIgneo

djIgneo Diabloii.Net Member

What realm are you playing on and Ladder or Non? How far are you along?

If have high level characters already (>80) then start doing pit runs if you have a character that can handle them. If not, go to an area you can handle. Collect all runes and gems you find. A lot of low runes, such as Ral, Ort, or just about any rune in bulk will get you a mid rune. A lot of 40 pgems will get you a mid rune also.

Keep your eyes peeled for socketables. Elite ethereal weapons that have no sockets or a 4-6 sockets are good places to start. Elite armors, especially light armors that have good defense are good to grab. Good examples of these will get you mid runes. Superior defense breast plates can be traded for mid runes also. Check the defense on Elite armors on the arreat summit or diabloii.net. Keep superior defense armors and ones that are near the max defense.

If you can put together decent MF gear (at least 200 and still have killing power), do Mephisto runs. If you can handle Hell do it, if not do NM. Make sure to open the chests in Durance level 3. I've heard of people getting high runes from those chests.

If you don't have high level characters, do what you can to get decent gear and get those high levels. A good amount of mid-level gear can be purchased with just perfect gems.

A good portion of getting rich in this game is knowing trade values and making smart trades. Find out what people look for and keep your eye out when you're playing. You'll get there! :D

If you're on USEast Ladder and need some help or wanna chat give me a /w

*synaesthetic

4. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

1. play the game
    2. do LOTS of mf runs
    3. trade wisely

there really is no secret to getting rich. the more time you spend on the game, the faster you will get more items and stuff.

5. gorash

gorash Diabloii.Net Member

If i may ask, since i have never gambled yet once while i started multiplayer, what r the best items to gamble on that might have a chance to be worth something?

6. djIgneo

circlets and amulets primarily. rings could be good

you'll be looking for +2 skills on the circlets and amulets along with other good mods, such as resist all and faster cast rate

don't forget you have to be high clvl (at least 87) to get the +2 mod.

7. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

1) Make a magic find character. Sorcs work very well, although there are other options.

2) Kill NM Mephisto 1100 times, picking up anything that is remotely helpful or useful.

3) Kill NM Minions of Baal 1700 times, doing same.

4) Kill Hell Mephisto 41,236 times, being a bit more selective. You should now have a lot of tradeables and some good MF gear.

5) Run the pit MFing until you get tired of this game and decide to play WoW.

It also helps to pick up all perfect gems and flawless gems so you can cube them to perfect. Alot of nice mid-range equipment can be had for pgems. Hellforge quest is your best bet for getting some runes.

Hope this helps.

8. gorash

gorash Diabloii.Net Member

ok thx for the tip, i need to lvl my chars more as i have about 3 chars in the lvl 70+ range so i still have a while to go to try to gamble for the +2 mod's circlets.

9. Killax

Killax Diabloii.Net Member

above are good tips to follow but also remember to have patience...rome wasnt built in a day :rolleyes:

10. Oddity

Oddity Diabloii.Net Member

Since you're just starting out, don't bother with gambling. You need a level 92 character to have a good chance of getting +2 skills. It would take to long to reach 92 legitly (w/o a bot), just get to 8x and start running Hell meph. This way you get your better gear faster.

Gambling really is for when you already have good gear, and you want a damn good circlet/ammy, or just stuff to sell imo.

Start gambling when you have the time to level a char to 92, and then make a char that's specifically for gold-finding...he/she can use 2 dwarf stars (100% gf each), goldwrap, wealth/goldskin armor (i think thats the name), ali baba blade on the switch (along with rhyme or something), chance guards gloves, infernostride or rare boots with gf, res/skills + gf ammy, don't forget a gheeds...then go nuts killing everything. Especially council members and uniques and stuff, they drop gold very well. If your char can kill whole groups of monsters fast, you can run pits, and then hunt for gold + socketables at the same time.

BTW, something I've realized is that on quite a few of the good MF items, GF is coupled with it. Ali baba, chancies, goldwrap...well, at least enough GF to mean you are getting 15-20k piles of gold when uniques die. So let's say you have this stuff equipped for MF'ing Mephisto, well when he drops gold pick it up, and also when he drops elite junk, pick it up and sell it to Ormus on the next run. At 35k a pop, it adds up. Eventually you're stash will be full before you realize it, and you can put that gold on a mule or gamble right then, even though if you aren't 92 yet the odds you'll get +2 skills is not as good.

11. dang79

dang79 Diabloii.Net Member

Keep every single flawless gem and cube it to a pgem.

Roll grand charms into skillers.

Current prices for extremely sought after skillers such as p combat and necro PNB are at a high.

12. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard Diabloii.Net Member

Nobody mentioned gems and charms so I'll chime in. Grand charms that get a skill bonus, especially the Paladin combat charm can be pretty valuable. Collect all gems you come across and cube them into perfect gems.

You can cube a grand charm any number of times and the level of the character rerolling does not matter. From about NM Travincial on (I think a little earlier, maybe the jungles?) grand charms have a chance of being a skiller. If you can run the NM Travincial Council run them multiple times and collect the grand charms. If the charm is not a skiller or something else good (like a resist all charm) then put it in your cube with 3 perfect gems and cube it until it is something good.

Alternatively, you can collect perfect gems and trade them for runes/items.

Here is a good guide for cubing, crafting, and rune finding.

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=258325

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=257640&page=1&pp=10

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=178289

GOW

13. Leonavice

Leonavice Diabloii.Net Member

Collect every single gem from the start, even chipped and cube them into pgems. Then take the pgems and start trading for the common but useful uniques. Make your first character a meteorb sorc and do normal meph, nm andy and nm meph. Pretty soon you will accumulate lots of low to mid end stuff for trade. Thats when you start to get rich.

14. TheNewHammerInTown

TheNewHammerInTown Diabloii.Net Member

If you are going to do that you might as well do Pindle runs in NM. Much faster and lots of good uniques drop. Anyway forget about the MeteorOrb sorc. They are crap in Hell almost everywhere unless you have the premium stuff to start with which you dont. Make yourself a hammerdin. At level 78 I can kill Mephisto with ease. I have picked up loads of great stuff. Occulus, Wizardspikes (2), Shakos (2), Guardian Angel, Blade of Ali Baba, Heaps of set pieces, a few ravenfrosts, some very great def armor (a 991 def 3 socket one and a 1250 corpsemourn), sh!tloads of nagel rings and the list goes on. Done this in the first week. Just started running the pit as Mephisto cant drop some items I am missing for complete sets (got 5 of the IK set and 3 of aldurs from Mephy) but the Pit can drop them. Had nothing decent drop there yet but the experience is good and I jumped to lvl 80 quickly. Set up at 250 mf with a p topaz socketed shako (74 mf), tancreds amulet and boots (they are crappy items alone but with 2 items the amulet becomes 78 mf), a 3 p diamond socketed shield with about 160 def on it (yet to find a decent shield), a 800 def guardian angel templar coat (socketed with a p topaz for 24 mf) that has 15% to max resist on everything, chanceguards with 38mf, nagel ring and ravenfrost that boost my mf to 250, a string of ears and a wizardspike (socketed but need to find ist to put in it to boost to 280mf). Every one of these items I picked up within my first 3 days mf running Mephisto. Its not the greatest build out but very effective on MF runs, with 90 resist all in hell, 20% red damage, 5000 def (with holy shield active), 4,000 hammer damage (weak but sacrificed skill amulets/gloves/boots for MF) and 250mf. Get yourself to around lvl 80 on a hammerdin and start doing Mephy runs. Way I do it is I sprint down with vigor and kill Mephisto, not worrying about anything else. Can kill him 25-30 times an hour. One solid session (4-5 hours) of doing this and you could kill him 100 times and in 100 drops you will be very unlucky not to get some good tradible items. Try to trade for some reasonable armor and a wizardspike (75% res all). With a wizardspike, 70% resist all shield and the 30% resist all you get from 3 anya quests you will have your resistances at 75% and plenty of slots (armor, helm, 2 x rings, amulet, gloves, boots, belt) to load up with mf items. For a guide how to make and use a hammerdin go to http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=502

15. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I must comment on this. As a player who always play untwinked, gambling is much more important to me, and almost a necessity for me to get enough good gear to make progress in the game (I play HC only).

Gambling has so many uses at all different stages of the game, I could write a whole essay about it...

BTW, already at around level 25, you can gamble rare boots that (with really good luck) can beat all the set/unique boots in the game (except for a few specialized character builds).

16. Khalim's_Nosehair

Khalim's_Nosehair Diabloii.Net Member

I'll throw in my two cents:

There are two levels of wealth in the game anymore - having all of the top-level uniques, and having all of the top-level runewords. Getting to the former is pretty easy since the new runewords have caused most top-level uniques to drop in value. Pgems, mid-level runes, and MF-ing will get you to the first level pretty quickly. Getting to the next level (hotos, enigmas, etc) is much harder. You need to collect ists in order to get there.

Most elite uniques are not worth ist anymore with the exception of hoz, griffons, maras, etc. If you are MF-ing and hoping to unload your stormshields, draculs, etc for puls and ums, forget about it. Even if you are successful, the amount of time wasted in trading games is probably not worth it. The trading games are filled with guys doing the same thing, and the ones that have the high-level runes aren't going to want stuff like that - they are more interested in upgrading their current elite runewords. Rule of thumb, some elite uniques are worth something if they have perfect stats ie perfect travs, but if you find something mid-levelish and you don't need it, sell it and move on.

As far as a MF character goes, I would avoid making one-trick ponies. I have found as much good stuff on the way to bosses as I have from them. I personally use a level 93 trapsin with that deals both lightning and fire damage. My merc handles fire/light immunes.

Her setup is:

Ptopaz shako
    Enigma
    Spirit shield
    Shaeled Ali baba
    2 cunning claws with IAS on switch (dont need bos then)
    mid-level maras
    39 chancies
    50 travs
    Arachnid
    Raven
    Nagel
    Gheeds
    Trap charms, anni, vita charms, and resist charms

She deals 7000 lit damage, 3500 fire damage, and has max resists with fade. Her MF level is over 400, which is plenty. She has 1650 life so she is pretty sturdy. She also gets tons of gold, which is used to gamble.

Get an Act 2 merc and put a lot of crushing blow on him.

Obviously, reroll skillers. Sorc, necro P&B, Pally combat ones are instant ists.

Some crafted items can be worth a lot. Blood gloves with amazon skill bonuses, 20% IAS, and 9 - 10% crushing blow go for a lot. A +2 mage caster ammy with decent resists is worth a lot, too.

Determining whether a rare circlet or ammy is worth anything is harder. You might find you waste a lot of time trying to move a good gamble.

Also if you check Anya and have the Pindle portal open, keep checking for +3 trap, +3 LS claws. One of those will get you the ists you need for the top runewords immediately. Sure its boring, but you can do it while you are talking on the phone or watching TV.

Make a list of stuff that is worth ist (check the trading forum for a complete price guide. N.B. - the values are more towards the offer side - ie what it will cost you to get the item, not necessarily what you can sell it for)
    Do your MF-ing and only try to move the high end stuff and don't waste your time on the stuff worth lem - pul. Once you know what you are looking for, your MF-ing and trading becomes much more efficient. You will be able to build an inventory of ists pretty quickly. Don't cube up puls, ums, or mals. These are good sweeteners to get a deal done. Do these things and you have the top-level runewords pretty quickly.

17. Illmattic

Illmattic Diabloii.Net Member

just sell everything youdont need. lol works for me. :D

18. djIgneo

A lot of good advice. I personally would recommend the hammerdin, as it is a good build for your purposes.

For the sake of keeping it simple:
    1 - Make a good MF build, ie. hammerdin or sorc
    2 - Trade pgems for mid level gear to hold you
    3 - MF Mephy on the difficulty you can handle, until you get decent equipment
    4 - Make a list of items worth at least Ist.
    5 - Search for those items in the respective places: Pit, Mephy, Gambling, Rerolling, Crafting.