Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need some tips to get to hell

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BenjaminFranklin, May 30, 2008.

1. BenjaminFranklin

BenjaminFranklin IncGamers Member

I need some tips to get to hell

I'll start off by saying I probably don't know much compared to most of you and I haven't played online in a year or two, and now i'm trying to make it to the end of hell on SP with a zon.

I'm on Act 5 nightmare with a lvl 57 zon, and i'm starting to slow down/run into problems. I'm currently trying to max out valk and strafe, with a good number of points already into the passives (stopped at about 6 on critical strike, dodge, evade, ect...)

The problem is, i'm not dealing enough dmg. I'm only doing 110-330 with my bow, with 50 of that coming from a poison charm. I've been putting 4 pts into dex. with 1 into either str or vit each lvl so I think i've done that part right, I think its just that my gear blows. With all my MF stuff on i'm at about 125 MF and I keep doing meph runs but it's not yielding much and takes a while because of the amount of dmg I do.

So I ask you, what should I do to acquire better gear/get better to hold my own in hell? Also, it seems that the boss yields worse and worse items as I continue to do my runs, is it just me or does that happen?

2. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Re: I need some tips to get to hell

You need a better bow. Pick out the best shoppable base type your stats allow then spend some time shopping one with the most enhanced damage that you can (ideally with a useful second mod such as +damage, elemental damage, IAS, or leech), since you're using a physical damage skill.

Also, make liberal use of decoy and valk (even if things go slow, you'll progress if you never die due to monsters spending all their time on your castable tanks). A point in freezing arrow might also be handy as crowd control.

What, exactly, is your equipment, stats, skills, and merc? I can probably give a lot of suggestions of specific things to improve (and how to do it) once I know what you're working with.

-CG

edit: yeah I didn't realize he was trying to enter hell at 57. I recommend eldritch runs if you can kill him reasonably safely (even at p1 you'll level really quick). If not, then I'd recommend going to whatever the furthest along area of the game is where you can kill relatively quickly and safely at p8 and just kill things until ~65 then try eldritch again. Anywhere past mid A2 should provide quick exp at this level. All of this, of course, is after getting a reasonable bow and possibly some other stuff. Something in the 70s to enter hell is dead on.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I'd also suggest leveling a bit in NM before going to Hell, 57 is really low. Shoot for something in the 70s.

4. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

Kicking puppies will do it, IMO... *

Agree with CG, a rundown of your stats/equip would help a lot. Also agree, that obtaining a better bow shouldn't be too hard- shopping or gambling will be the way to go, until your killspeed is sufficient for efficient mf runs.

*- You don't want to know what I was originally going to say here...

5. BenjaminFranklin

STATS
    STR- 71
    DEX- 226
    VIT- 69
    ENER- base

AR= 2678

Helm - A 30 def. full helm(sucks, i know) w/ a 3-7 added dmg jewel and a skull
    Body - Doom suit Field Plate w/ enhanced speed jewel
    Bow - Viper Nook Razor bow
    10-47 dmg
    50 to attack rating
    20% increased speed
    2-62 lightning dmg
    Boots - Infernostride(probably the only good thing i have)
    Gloves - Eagle finger gauntlets

So, pretty much awful gear.

I got 17 pts in valk, about 10 in strafe, 6 in critical strike, dodge, and avoid. 9 in penetrate. And then a few points scattered into prereqs.

I honestly don't know what you mean by "Pick out the best shoppable base type your stats allow then spend some time shopping one with the most enhanced damage that you can".
    I really need another bow but I don't know what you mean here, i dunno what you want me to do. And gambling in town is actually an effective means of getting a good item? i've never gotten anything but crap out of there.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Go to NPC who sell bows, and try to get the better bow by shopping. Just pick the best base Bow type... In case you don't know, the items offered by NPC vendors are renewed when you go out of town. Repeatedly going out of town (usually through waypoint) and checking the vendor selling screen is called shopping...

Bow is crucial part of equipment for (strafe) bowazon, so try everything to get better one...
    Also as it was said, your level is too low, I would try to level in easier areas - for example act3 jungles with a lot of flayers...

7. BenjaminFranklin

Does shopping entail doing this dozens of times in order to get something worthwhile, because I never see anything good from them. And am I better off gambling as opposed to trading?

8. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Usually shopping requires a lot of refreshes in order to get what you're looking for, but it doesn't usually take all that long provided you're not after perfection.

Since you're a physical damage build, it's going to be important for you to be able to use high-end bows, so I'd recommend putting some more points in strength as you level up. Your endgame will likely be a shopped cruel hydra bow (unless you gamble/find something else), which requires 134 str, so I'd aim for that (but subtract any +str from equipment you know you'll be using). In the short term, you should try to get enough str for a gothic bow (95) as quickly as possible, even to the point of potentially swapping equipment around, but in the mean time, a rune bow (73 str, 14-35 dmg) or a short siege bow (65 str, 13-30 dmg) are your best choices, and as an added bonus, neither require any IAS to reach a 3 frame strafe (gothic bows will require 11% IAS, which can be provided by your bejeweled armor). As far as modifiers go, look for arcing (high lightning damage), master's (ed% and ar), cruel/ferocious (ed%), and of evisceration/butchery (+max dmg). Particularly for the pre-gothic bow I wouldn't waste too much time trying to get something wonderful, but once you've got enough str for gothic bow you might want to keep shopping until you have a cruel, preferrably with a decent suffix - it'll take you far enough into hell to be able to shop a cruel hydra bow. All of those affixes should be shoppable from larzuk or A4 vendors. Just run to the shop, check for good affixes on the type you want, and if there aren't any, go hit the WP and come right back.

Shopping will guarantee you what you want, gambling can potentially get you something wonderful. I recommend shopping something good then blowing all additional cash gambling for something potentially excellent.

As far as equipment goes, I was hoping for a list of the modifiers on all your magic/rares. Some of them can probably be ditched for other items shopped by the same method described above, or by relatively simply gambled things.

-CG

9. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

Here's a few tips you might appreciate:

"Early to bed and early to rise, Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. "

"Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today. "

"Little strokes fell great oaks."

JK, I'll answer seriously that if you have a ton of gold, yes gambling can be great. Take a good look at rare (yellow) bows (you get one 10% of the time) you have gambled for useful mods like enhanced dmg.

10. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

i am a classic player and you already got your amazon to lvl 57 and is in nm act5, but i'll post this anyways. even if its already late and probably not too useful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    in classic:

a phys damage bow/xbow amazon (strafer usually, or multishot but much weaker on classic) has low damage (3/4 damage with strafe/multishot, 25% less damage than normal). the only way to make a strafer viable is to get a high damage bow (gothic is most damaging bow in classic, though its a bit slow, but the damage is needed anyways) or xbow (balista is most damaging xbow and does more damage than gothic, but is very slow). getting damage mods on waepons-gear helps too like CB,OW, poison, cold, +min damage, +max damage, etc. also in classic u pretty much have to make a dexazon (most or all pts into dex) for more damage. critcal strike skill helps too (2x damage chance). attack speed is also anotehr way to get more damage (faster attacks=more hits=more damage). so u want as much WIAS and IAS as u can on weapon and gear. pierce of course too.

anyways, the bows availible from shops or drops are way too weak for the area u are. u really need a good gothic or balista to kill respectfully. well gothic bows dont drop until at least mid-late areas of nm (nm=nightmare) act 1. so your stuck with a weak bow until u get a good gothic or balista, and this can make it very hard for a bow or xbow amazon phys damage strafer, until u get a GOOD damage bow (in classic, rares are strongest, elite, godly).

the best thing u can do in sp (single player) and solo'ly (no other character helping with skills or rushing):

have a high level character find-get a high damage bow/xbow and otehr gear for your amazon. than using atma, xfer it to your amazon.

if this isnt an option for u (either rules u folowing or dont wanna or cant use atma) than:

u jsut have to manage to prgress through the game best u can, until u get to a place where u can eventually get/have a high damage bow or xbow drop for u. or u could try to imbue or gamble as well.

11. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Don't forget, if you manage to get a magic hydra bow or crusader bow (what's the highest one you can shop in NM?) from baal runes or something, use the 3 chipped gems plus you magic bow recipe in the cube to reroll it and get sockets in it. IIRC you can get a cruel hydra bow of quickness with this, but the odds are terribly low.

I think I'm off on what bows are reasonably achievable in NM. :grin:

12. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

From the looks of it, you haven't put anything in Pierce? You should put at least one point there, having piercing arrows might be helpful.
    It seems like you have not used players 8. If so, perhaps you do not know how. Simply type \players x, where x is a number between 1 and 8. At p8, you'll gani more xp and get better drops. However, the monsters become far harder to kill as well, so don't do this until you shopped a better bow!

Also, when you can gamble, a good option for bowazons imho is gloves (any kind, so from gloves - gauntlets). Rares can spawn with great abilities on them, with +skill tree for amazons, 10-30%IAS and good resists. You might also consider, if you still have thos equests open, to take a matriarch bow to Charsi and imbue it. As far as weapon choice goes, I'd opt for the speed of a normal bow over the damage of an Xbow.

13. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

You should also look into the crafting recipes. Hitpower gloves give you knockback, plus a lot of other random mods, which can be very helpful in keeping you safe. Cleglaw's gloves are also nice for the knockback and slows target, but they won't give you much else. Hitpower gloves can spawn with all kinds of useful mods, like +str/dex, +bow/passive skills, resists, mf, ias, etc, and will always have knockback.

mv

14. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Ah, just 2 quick corrections. It's actually /players x not \players x.

Rare can spawn with 10 IAS or 20 IAS, they can't get 30 IAS.

15. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

Good bows aren't easy to find. NM Meph can drop Witchwild string, Riphook, Magewrath and Lycanders. Without the upgrading recipe, they may not cut it for hell, but very likely they'll be better than what you have right now.

16. BenjaminFranklin

I just picked up a "puss spitter" which is a siege bow that does 53-112 I think with 150+ poison over 8 sec. and a a few other things, its ALRIGHT but its only shooting normal speed. I currently have a socket I can use but I don't know if I should use it on this?(I have a shael rune as well which I can put in).

Also, can someone explain this to me; is one boss a better MF dropper than another? Why would NM Meph be better than Diablo or Baal? And also, is it just me, or do the drops seem to get worse the more times you kill them?

ALSO, is there any way I can socket this xbow I just got other than using larzuk or whatever his name is? 3 chipped with the bow in the cube or something?

17. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Mephi is a lot faster and easier to run than Diablo or Baal. That's why people prefer running Mephi for some items.

18. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Puss Spitter probably isn't worth it. General rule I go by when it comes to physical damage characters: If I can't hit hard AND fast then I go with hitting fast.

Some bosses can drop better (higher treasure class) items then others. People are recommending you run Meph because he's the fastest/easiest boss to run. Keep rerolling your map until you get the Durance 2 waypoint right next to the stairway down to Durance 3. Run till you puke.

All bosses have a higher chance to drop good stuff the first time you kill them (known as the "quest drop"). After that you're chances are the same everytime.

You can't socket a Unique with a cube recipe, the only way is to socket it through Larzuk.

19. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Magic Find is a pretty complex issue. Every monster type in every area has some treasue class assigned to it. A random roll, modified to an extent by the MF you have on your char, will determine the drop. For a VERY in depth explanation of this, you should read the stickies, in which Hrus(he posted a bit above as well) has written a guide on MF.

I warn you, it's not an easy read.

As far as drop quality goes, what most people also consider is the ease of running the boss in question. NM diablo should potentially have better drop classes then Mephisto, but Mephy is FAR more easy to run. So in the same timespan, you can complete more mephisto runs then diablo runs, and thusly increase the chance for good items.

It is possible to add sockets to rare items using the horadric cube... but the recipe requires a stone of jordan, making it SO not worth it. EDIT: Uniques cant be socketed with the cube, only through larzuk.

I would suggest you take your bow, and do some mephisto runs. See what drops, and gain some xp at the same time.
    Keep that shael rune handy for a unique bow or something with good potential (I have read several times that an upgraded riphook (unique razor bow) can be totally devastating in the hands of an amazon).

The first time you kill a boss, you get the quest drop, which is always best. After that, the drop decreases in quality. Still quite useful to do mephy runs though.

20. Rhonlyn

Rhonlyn IncGamers Member

If you keep running the bosses, the faster the better, they are all good. Sometimes you will get good drops, other times you will get bugger all.

I wouldn't socket that xbow in a million years. If its ok with the mods I can give you a couple of unique bows to try out, but I.d also like to know if you have a merc?

Last edited: May 30, 2008