I need some opinions for dual tree builds

evild2player

Diabloii.Net Member
I need some opinions for dual tree builds

Hello, for the past day or two I've been considering a few sorc builds that would serve me well for season 5. Every ladder season I've played I've started out with a single element sorc build, never making a hybrid. Alas, the time is now for me to make one. I have a few requirements and a lot of criteria when considering each build. The most important factors however, are viability(of course) and versatility. I want to be able to solo kill and run a wide variety of areas, bosses, etc. Here are my main points:

- able to do pit runs
- able to do meph runs
- able to do pindle (not really big, if I can do pits pindle's drops aren't a big deal)

Here are some less major criteria, although should still be considered:
- able to kill uber diablo (I know cold is really the only way to do this, aside from uber gear and an infinity)
- have enough damage to be decent in 8 player games
- not need some tricked out uber gear
- fun to play

Decent and average gear won't be a problem. As of now, I have a shako, skullders, lidless, and a lot of time. Won't be a problem getting other stuff like hoto, spirit, etc. Runewords like infinity are out of the question atm.
I have a few builds in particular in my mind.

- meteorb
- CL/FO
- CB/FO
- pure blizz (thought I wanted dual element? o_O)

Pure lightning and fire are out of the question, I want versatility and I can't afford an infinity. Fire is quite strong and I have a lot of experience playing pure blizz/pure fire, but I just don't feel like fire. Atm, I have pure blizz and it's great but my build is very.. rough and not exact.
For meteorb, I'm sure I won't have much problem doing runs, but will FO be strong enough to deal damage to DClone or in an 8 player game?
For CL/FO, is FO strong enough to do meph(and maybe 5+ player meph) and be decent in 8 player games?
For CB/FO, is the damage from CB enough to deal with cold immunes?

Oh and once duel games are up on ladder, I'll be trying to pit run those :thumbup: Thanks for reading, opinions and suggestions are welcome.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: I need some opinions for dual tree builds

CB/FO gets my vote. CB is reasonably strong, and very good against act bosses. Good gear will help, but it's not entirely necessary. You can run the Countess easily too, to get some runes for trade-material.

However, if you want possibly the most powerful dual-tree build, I'd suggest something off-the-wall: BlizzWaller. Firewall is quite strong without a lot of investment (definitely worth ~10 in FM though, in my experience), meaning you'll have several spare points to get a pretty strong blizzard going.

The problem with a blizzwaller build would be constantly using two timered skills. If that doesn't sound appealing, also look at blizzballer - they're very strong.

... and don't let people tell you firewall is hard to aim - it's not, if you use teleport and a tanking merc... placing a good firewall is just as easy as hitting the 'sweet spot' with FrozenOrb, maybe easier.

Smackin

Diabloii.Net Member

FO/FB or CL/FO with tals, keep ur and merc alive and u will never die and kill like mad. Blizzwaller sounds interesting, however, 2 timered spells might lower ur ability to own huge areas, as blizzwaller cant exactly spread their spells across the screen in all directions at once.

evild2player

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm CB/FO seems interesting. I think at this point, it's between meteorb(which is almost like FO/FB) and CB/FO. However I'm against wearing full tals (I have yet to see any sorc wear a tals arm yet). I think I'd be fine with hoto, skullders, and friends. I like how CB only has one synergy + LM, leaving ~40 for my orb. Meteorb almost feels like a boring typical build..

One more question, have any of you had experience attacking DClone with frozen orb? How did it go?

Thanks for the replies so far.

evild2player

Diabloii.Net Member

Can't edit anymore @[email protected] Anyway to clarify the tals thing, can't afford it :[. Also, no doubt charged bolt will do well against bosses, but how do you think it will fair against cold immune monsters in the pit, in an 8 player game?

mephiztophelez

Diabloii.Net Member

Can't edit anymore @[email protected] Anyway to clarify the tals thing, can't afford it :[.
you may not be able to afford it right now, but it won't take very long before you can get the whole set (you'll find plenty of pieces yourself if you're mf'ing).

as such, i'd still build my sorc with tals in mind if i was you (unless you don't mind rebuilds later on)

most orb hybrids will do really well in small'ish hell games (players 2-4), even with self-found kit. having nice gear merely speeds up the carnage in bigger games.

i'm partial to fireball/orb myself (105%fcr is pretty easy to get with tals, 117 can be a little rougher), but cb or cl work just fine. a point in static charge is a must and don't be afraid to spam a little glacial spike for freezage.

Smackin

Diabloii.Net Member

If ur orb does 1000+, go ahead and freeze Dclone's butt. CB/FO gives u a stronger orb, at the cost of a not so flexible secondary skill. CB is slow, short ranged, FB is fast, long ranged. Also I dont think CB outdamages FB in terms of boss ownage. 24 bolts at 450 dmg is about the same as a single 8.5k FB, which isnt hard to get. Not to mention in areas where the monsters are scattered, ur 450 dmg bolt aint gonna cmopare to 8.5k FB.

Edit, after some testing, at lvl 90 with full tals, +14 to skills, 5 gcs(lite for CB build, fire for FB build), it came out that FB would be at 11-12k, and CB at 644-676 x24, making CB ~2k stronger. Looks like CB is stronger in terms of boss-killing, but it's still weak if u only hit a few bolts on scattered areas, not to mention the lack of versatility compared to FB. However, going CB/FO allows u to have just as strong an orb as FO/FB, and u can stick 20 points into ES for an optional ES variant, instead of 40% dmg from synergies via icebolt.

Last edited:

evild2player

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for replies so far. I should reconsider CB/FO. I don't want to tele ontop of a monster every time I want it dead. As for tals, I will consider it, seeing as I'm pretty busy next week and won't get to start my new sorc anytime soon, perhaps pindle will be so kind to give me a set lacquered plate? Oh yeah and it won't matter much if my max strength will be for a spirit monarch. Maybe 5-10 stats difference give or take.

I thought I was set on CB/FO, but now it's more of a match between meteorb and FO/CL. At this point I would say meteorb is winning and I should just give in.. I'm not interested in running the countess with CL. Builds like blizzwaller or blizzballer seem so @[email protected] I'm not questioning the viability but as this is my first dual element sorc I think I'll stick to something easier.

Smackin

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I'd go FO/FB, CB/FO might be better for boss and some es tank, but nothing comes to the versatility of FB, imo. However, I had a CL/FO tals sorc(still have, just stripped), and man she was a beast. 18k lightning/117fcr/500 orb dmg was some killer stuff.