Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need some help with my computer...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by samcisnow, May 3, 2008.

1. samcisnow

samcisnow IncGamers Member

I need some help with my computer...

i got a 3.0 GHZ Pentium D
    Geforce 7800 GT
    2 GB Ram
    400 GB HD
    Windows Vista Ultimate

I don't know, but I remember my computer preforming alot faster, i get low fps in everything now...

Any ideas?

PS: I've had windows vista, so its not its fault! lol :) I know everyone hates it, but i love the interface =P

Thanks

2. Triumph81

Triumph81 IncGamers Member

Re: I need some help with my computer...

would still blame vista, maybe buy 2gb ram more since they say 2gb is minium for usin vista really means u need moire than 2gb to run it, maybe try install xp on instead ;D

3. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Without more detail of the problem, I can't give a very specific response, but I'll try to give some general ideas of how to proceed.

No matter how new or old a system, when you want to correct a decline in performance you need to eliminate some programs that are sapping resources.

I've forgotten where they hide the Run line in Vista installations, but you need to run msconfig. The System Configuration Utility allows you to prevent unneeded programs from loading at startup. On the Startup tab, uncheck any programs that you know aren't needed. Be as aggressive as possible, and if you don't know what a particular listing is for, look up the name online.

You may also benefit from setting some Services to Stop or Manual (Accessories->System Tools->Services), but this is more challenging if you don't know what you're doing and I'll leave it to someone else to address unless you want to ask further about it.

Also run Checkdisk (Error-checking) and Defrag (Disk Defragmenter), from the Properties, Tools tab of the C: drive in Explorer.

I don't know how well Vista manages the Pagefile, but in all previous versions I always set it to a permanent size rather than letting Windows dynamically resize it. I can explain how to do this, but others may weigh in and say it's not necessary in Vista.

Start with MSCONFIG and go from there.

For more specific suggestions, would you answer the following:
    1) Does the system appear slowing in all Windows tasks, or only specific programs (ie. list particular games in which you've observed lower FPS)?
    2) Did you at any point notice an abrupt change in performance, or has it been steady and gradual?
    3) Do you get error messages that you haven't mentioned (if you're familiar with Event Viewer, sort by Type and Date, looking for Errors)?
    4) Do you use any overclocking utilities for the video card that could have somehow gotten underclocked?

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I'm saying the usual -

Download, install, and run:

Adaware
    Spybot
    AVG Antivirus
    ASquared

Optional:

Ubuntu

5. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

turn off all the fancy vista stuff. Looking at my interface you wouldn't be able to tell if I was running 98 or vista... or well the 256x256 icons might give it away.

but my specs are worse all around and I'm running vista with no problem (besides compatability) Just make sure you keep it clean and eliminate uneeded resource hogs.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

low fps can be related to internet speed rather than a change in the computer.

8. samcisnow

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 11:07:33 PM, on 5/3/2008
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    D:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    D:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    D:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    D:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaDispatch.exe
    D:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    D:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    D:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    D:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    D:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
    D:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe
    D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    D:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    D:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    D:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
    D:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
    D:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    D:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Unbox Video\ADVWindowsClientSystemTray.exe
    D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
    D:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\soffice.exe
    D:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\soffice.BIN
    D:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
    D:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    D:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jucheck.exe
    C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
    D:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe
    D:\PROGRA~1\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    D:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe
    D:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    D:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: IE to GetRight Helper - {31FF080D-12A3-439A-A2EF-4BA95A3148E8} - D:\Program Files\GetRight\xx2gr.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] D:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "D:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] D:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] D:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] D:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "D:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "D:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClamWin] "D:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe" --logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] D:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "D:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "d:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "D:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AnyDVD] D:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AdobeUpdater] D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater5\AdobeUpdater.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.3.lnk = D:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\quickstart.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Amazon Unbox.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - D:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - D:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - D:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {0742B9EF-8C83-41CA-BFBA-830A59E23533} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/MSDcode.cab
    O16 - DPF: {20A60F0D-9AFA-4515-A0FD-83BD84642501} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab56986.cab
    O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab56907.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F5A7706B-B9C0-4C89-A715-7A0C6B05DD48} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab56986.cab
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Windows DreamScene - {E31004D1-A431-41B8-826F-E902F9D95C81} - D:\Windows\System32\DreamScene.dll
    O23 - Service: Amazon Unbox Video Service (ADVService) - Amazon.com - D:\Program Files\Amazon\Amazon Unbox Video\ADVWindowsClientService.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - D:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - D:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Net2Go Service (nmraapache) - Pure Networks, Inc. - D:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\WebServer\bin\nmraapache.exe
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Network Magic Service (nmservice) - Pure Networks, Inc. - D:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

--
    End of file - 8407 bytes

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Used to be faster? Before what? I think therein lies your answer.

10. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

doesnt look too bad to me

other than alot of stuff is in the autorun keys
    use msconfig to disable some of it
    start -> run -> msconfig -> startup tab

SunJavaUpdateSched - java update checker
    WinampAgent - re-associates mp3 ect.. to winamp
    iTunesHelper - re-associates mp3 ect.. to itunes
    Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    QuickTime Task
    AdobeUpdater
    Steam - still a resource hog, only run it when you want to play hl2 ect..

and a few messengers
    aim/msn - no need to start them if you dont use them

and a few works autoruns, speed up running office, but slow down everything else

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you haven't done it already, install the latest driver for your gfx card. Ignore the "failed windows logo test" message if it appears.

There are sites which autoscan HijackThis output BTW. Try Google to find one or check the HijackThis docs or its web site.

12. samcisnow

I pinged yahoo, google and i got around 86 ms is that normal? (west coast)

I have the latest drivers i'm pretty sure, i'll double check

13. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Err, did you do any of what I said?

14. samcisnow

Oh yeah, i usually scan daily, so yeah :)

Also, I noticed this FPS change in Counter Strike, a fairly low graphic'd game i used to be able to run at 60 constant wtih no choke

And in Diablo too, many more spots are slow

15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Try this site http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
    test 3-5 times and get a average speed.
    and compare the results to what you are suppose to have connection wise.
    mines about
    4.22megabits per second
    514.99kilobytes per second
    Cable