Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need some advice..

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Shaneperkins, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Shaneperkins

Shaneperkins IncGamers Member

I need some advice..

Okay, well.. I just started playing D2:LOD a couple of days ago, and basically got rushed all the way to nightmare baal.. but it's extremely hard for me to level because I die when trying to participate in the the nightmare baal runs..

My problem is pretty much the gear that I have, does anybody have any advice on places to farm for armor/jewellery/weapons, stuff like that?

I'm a level 64 hammerdin, I can just about do Nightmare Andariel (If that's relevant to my characters capabilities)

I play Europe, standard, ladder.

Thank you. :)

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Just don't do anything and stand back in baal runs. Also don't rush into tp when as soon as it's up, wait until it's clean. It's not hard to rush naked in hell baal runs, so I don't see why you can't do that in NM.

3. Shaneperkins

I'm usually expected to participate in the run because of my level and class.

I suppose I could hold back, but it's about time i get a gear change anyway, 4xx defense and - resists aren't good enough for my liking. :)

4. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

Then its time to get rushed through hell and chilling after in hell baalruns.

To be serious, insight merc and dual spirit are very cheap and nearly all you need. rest of the gear resi, mana, life, fhr, fcr, +skills if aviable. Maxblock and at least one point in HS are important too. With this setup you may have troubles with ranged attacks in hell and some areaes are the hell for hammerdins anyway independant of gear but you can finish the game solo this way.

Collecting optimal gear is a long proces and you will have the gear for other chars long before the gear for the char you planning, Murphy's law. So lvling is far more important than collecting gear.

5. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

You could also you know...actually PLAY the game and not rush. You might find yourself strong enough by going thru that, in terms of levels and equipment both. Or, you could switch to a less equipment dependant class like sorc as your first char.

6. Shaneperkins

Where can I get an insight merc, and what's dual spirit? :shocked:

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

If you gather all the WP's and do all the quests in normal and nm, I think you will have more equipment for your character and experience with your character (your ability to control your character, not your character's XP) then you can shake a boomstick at.
    You should do the quests in the order they are in your questlog, starting with the normal Den, then normal Bloodraven, and so on.

8. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Insight is a pole-arm runeword. So an act 2 merc will enable you to use it.
    4os polearm with ral- tir-tal-sol if I'm not mistaken. Solves all your mana probs.
    And I would seriously consider playing a bit more if I were you.

I've been doing solo NM Runs (players 8) with a somewhat decently equipped support necro since about lvl 65. Only real problem is that Lister sometimes cracks my merc before I manage to kill one of his minions.

I know a necro has pretty sweet crowd control skills and I have no clue how a hammerdin fares in that regard, so I can't really tell wether or not you should be able to do NM Runs already, but trying out and developing a playstyle suited to your character probably makes you a lot less item dependant...

9. Shaneperkins

I'm a hammerdin (lvl 71, now) which means I have to get somewhat close to the monsters I kill, I just solo'd NM Mephisto, I think I may have cracked it, I just need alot of potions and expect to die a little. :)

BTW, what are runewords?

10. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Rune Words Info

By the way:
    maybe I should clarify my character a bit. It is a necro with only a merc and a clay golem.
    The only actual damage I do comes from the merc, the rest is all crowd control. Until the first falls that is, after that Corpse Explosion solves every problem :)
    What I meant to point out with my example is that when you play your character a lot you start to recognize ways to deal with problems.

My build is not really among the cookie-cutters, but yesterday I whacked Hell Andy at lvl 69. Just a matter of adapting...

11. Shaneperkins

Thank you, so I have to find a polearm with 4 slots, and then get the runes?

Do the runes drop off random mobs?

I apologise for my lack of knowledge. :)

12. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

yes. a WHITE pole-arm with 4 sockets.
    If I were you I would read the rune word info very careful. I managed to f up my first Insight because in my enthousiasm I was putting the runes in a spear class weap :)

Runes can theoretically be found everywhere. Since you are looking for Insight I would run NM Countess (the superunique in the tower in the black marsh). She is able to drop all the runes you need for Insight and drops some every run.

13. Shaneperkins

Thanks alot. :)

I thought socketed items appeared grey? I've never come across a 4 slot WHITE piece of equipment, it's going to take me a while to find one ^^.

14. Shaneperkins

I have all the runes now, is there a quicker way of getting a 4 slotted polearm?

IE. Using the Horadric Cube?

15. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

You could try playing the game. That way you'd have sufficient items throughout, so it really wouldn't be an issue, ever.

Nightmare should go at least 2 times faster than Normal. If you can "just about" do Nightmare Andariel there are problems.

16. Shaneperkins

The problem is my gear and low HP.

Level 72 with 550hp and two of my resists are in the red.

My Hammer damage is fine, 2500 or something.

17. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Try to find 4os polearm in cow games. Again, just stand back in cow games and don't do anything. Don't feel that you're supposed to do anything because of your level, there're enough lvl85+ leechers on bnet (including myself sometimes:smiley:).

18. Shaneperkins

Can it be a grey polearm?

Because I've never seen a white one with 4 slots.

19. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Grey is fine.

20. Shaneperkins

A CV dropped for me, but it has 210 str req.

My merc has something like 170 STR, I guess I'll look for a lower level one.