Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need some advice on a Summoner Druid build.

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Bignerdmatt, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

I need some advice on a Summoner Druid build.

Im going to make one, but I cant decide between the "Hunter" build or a melee build.

I made a hunter last night and got to level 11 and I liked what I saw. The big problem I had was my minions did all the work, before I could pop off a bolt they had slaughtered whatever was in their path.

Im a more hands on person, I like to get in and mix it up.

Ive read the FAQ and still need some input.

For starters, Id rather not invest in the Werewolf area. Id like to tank it up and bash some heads, saving my points for my minions.

If I go melee or hunter, skills-

20 Spirit Wolf, Dire Wolf, Grizzly, Heart Of Wolverine, Poision creeper
    (I dont plan on using that bug mentioned, I like to keep things pure)
    5 Carrion Vine (for the emergency life fill up)
    1 Spirit of the Barbs (just in case im getting swampped... and for the hell of it)

I know Im rambling, but I also considered a shield and throwing weapon. A sort of melee/hunter hybrid. Would that work ? I know the melee damage would suck, but with the HoW and minions helping Id just be there as backup.

Thanks again. I got an hour to kill before work and im tired of Family Matters re-runs :)

2. MagicMoron

MagicMoron IncGamers Member

In Hell your minions won't be as powerful as normal. That's definate. you definately will get the chance to get in and do some of the dirty work.

3. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

After a bit more reading, Im thinking Ill try a Javalin type druid.

Since theyre affected by STR and DEX, Id be able to wear good armor and carry a shield.

Id go with a 2/2/1 method on stats and hopefully Ill be alright.

My ideal situation-

Poison creeper weakens a pack, minions run in and start doing their thing. I stand in the back throwing my pointy sticks of doom, melee'ing any stragglers while protected by my shield.

I wont be a tank/powerhouse, but this seems like it could be fun (since im not much for having the be the ultimate l337 player).

Also, its a random and lame thought, but Id keep my summons on a seperate weapon switch and keep my attack/throw on the other. (im lazy and hate haivng 12210921 hot keys)

So yeah, here goes :)

4. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

i've got a lvl85 and a lvl99 with the same skill placement except for spirit of the barbs. the lvl99 (mainly elemental damage) uses a phase blade that has sancuary(plus cold and magic damage) on it / on switch a demons arch jav and the shield that has lvl7 lower resistance when hit(its a unique i dont remember the name of it, 217 strength tho). the lvl85 (mainly crushing blow) uses a fleshripper dagger and stormshield. there both fun to play.

stats:

str: 200
    dex: 200
    vit: rest
    ene: base

5. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

best pvm option that i can think of in terms of owning the game entirely:

put a point into lycanthropy, werebear, shockwave, use a beast runeword item.

Shockwave everything, and then maul at 7fpa with massive crushing blow while your grizzly bear eats everything else.

6. AllenZ

AllenZ IncGamers Member

Ink, beast craps out at 8fpa maul, unless you make it in a champion axe, but umm, eww. Regardless, unless you go a wacky faith/harmony combo for you and your merc beast is the best weapon a summoner can get.

7. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

7 and 8 are sort of close to each other....

at least on my keyboard :(

8. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm actually the throw-summoner would work in hell i think. Get a Lacerator Winged axe and with HOW and some AR going hits would trigger amplify damage :p Might merc with eth Obedience/Crecent Moon Thresher/Cryptic Axe for boss killing and no over riding amp :p

9. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

bear will be ur main tanker.

and the shockbear idea will be the best.