I need more sci-fi authors

Peregrine

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll third Niven. The co-written books are also excellent, so your fears are for nothing.

And I'll also add Iain M Banks' Culture novels to the list. The older ones are kind of a pain to find (out of print in the US), but they're well worth it.

Bortaz

Banned
Sokar Rostau said:
I hated it, but that was mainly because a friend bugged me to read it for almost two years before I gave in. Just because I wasn't a fan doesn't mean you won't be.

Otherland by Tad Williams

It's set about 15 years in the future and is mainly in a totally immersive VR world. Some of the ideas in it I thought were really interesting, I just didn't like the style and some of the characterization.

I recently read a fantasy series by Tad Williams, and it was quite good. I believe it was the Dragonbone Chair (Throne, maybe?).

EDIT:
dondrei said:
Is Otherland as good as his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn books? I was considering reading them a while back but I never found the time.
That's the ones! Those were good.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
He seems to have co-written a lot of books with Niven. I am somewhat wary of dual-authored books as I'm on a pretty terrible streak with them. Starswarm and others sound interesting though. I'll give him a try.
If you wish to read a co-authored Niven/Pournelle novel, I would heartily recommend "Inferno" ... It's a real page turner.

Note: As this book is out-of-print and has apparently become rather expensive, you might want to see if your local library has it.

PS: Check out the book image closely on the linked site. :wink3:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
Oh yeah, the cyberpunk guy. I don't really like the idea. I suppose Neuromancer deserves a shot, as it's a classic.
I seem to recall hating Neuromancer. I'm not fond of cyberpunk.

Merick said:
I should have put him in the list. I tried to read The Integral Trees, but lost interest. I should probably give him another chance. I should have put Frank Herbert in the list too, dagumit. And the guy who wrote Deepsix.
I haven't read that one, his Known Space ones are my favourite. The two Ringworlds being the best.

Merick said:
He seems to have co-written a lot of books with Niven. I am somewhat wary of dual-authored books as I'm on a pretty terrible streak with them. Starswarm and others sound interesting though. I'll give him a try.
I know what you mean, dual authorship is often a bad thing.

superdave said:
the book in my tar? it has the best title of any book...ever.

you see that title on a bookshelf and you HAVE to pick it up..."her kind of love was different...but was it wrong?" marketing genius!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/marion-zimmer-bradley/i-am-lesbian.htm

over the last couple years i have picked up enough copies of this book to sell to discriminating collectors to keep the taxes current on my house.
Heh, neat. Is it any good?

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
Dan Simmons' Hyperion and it's cousins seem to be missing. It's got it's share of praise.

I can personally also advice you to pick up Stanislav Lem. Kyberias is sci-funny.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
The alternate worlds are really interesting in the book. Other than that, can't say much more without ruining the plot. It's a good read, even though I'm more of a fantasy guy than sci fi.

Yeah, The Last Vampire books were good stuff back in the day. Nothing like blood,softcore sex and violence to get a young kid all excited. There were like 6 books or something, and I liked the Hindu mythology mixed in as well.
What was the name of the other series? Can't seem to recall it.

I have not read the Talisman so I can't answer your question. But if you are a King fan, I'd definitely recommend the Dark Tower series, unless you've read it already. I loved that series, many interesting ideas behind it, and I loved the fact that many of his books had some ties, hints or clues in them leading to this series.

Xenon[XoA]

Banned
iuno, I liked the books a lot more than the show, which's saying a lot I guess since that was one of the shows i grew up on, besides TMNT. There's a lot more storyline reinforcement, and background than what'd be on tv. iT just helps complete the story.

Coyote's about the first colonists + the planet they land on. survival story kind of, but with the adventure and exploration of a different world. I don't read much sci-fi, so I can't really say how it'd compare to the other prevalent authors, but i liked it.

oh. Neuromancer i read too. Can't say i liked it. Idoru was ok though.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll get to the rest of the comments later.
I've ordered Ringworld by Niven, Chronospace by Steele, and The Golden Compass by Pullman. I still have one more book credit, and about 6 more coming my way soon.

Gertlex

Banned
I'll fourth Larry Niven (fifth if you count the one that cried blasphemy). I'd say my favorite is Lucifer's Hammer... That was a great book. Other good ones include the Beowulf ones (which ARE scifi)...

Deepsix by Jack McDevitt; read that this summer, was quite good.

I dont' think you mentioned David Brin... He's not as great as Niven, but still good stuff.

I myself should go on a buying spree... something around a hundred dollars in gift certificates to Borders...

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Gertlex said:
I'll fourth Larry Niven (fifth if you count the one that cried blasphemy). I'd say my favorite is Lucifer's Hammer... That was a great book. Other good ones include the Beowulf ones (which ARE scifi)...

Deepsix by Jack McDevitt; read that this summer, was quite good.

I dont' think you mentioned David Brin... He's not as great as Niven, but still good stuff.

I myself should go on a buying spree... something around a hundred dollars in gift certificates to Borders...
Yeah, yeah, I forgot David Brin too. How dare I forget Kiln People. I'm not actually buying these books either. The website I mentioned earlier lets you trade books for the cost of shipping ($1.59).

Rassilon666

Diabloii.Net Member
William Gibson is a god among sci-fi authors.
The neuromancer trilogy is fantastic (neuromancer, count zero, mona lisa overdrive), and the Virtual light - Idoru - All tomorrows parties trilogy is great, and gets better as it goes.
These 6 books are among the best i have ever read, and definitely make you think.

Neil Stephenson is great, snowcrash and diamond age in particular. Cryptonomicon was also interesting.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is excellent. I highly recommend all four books (hyperion, fall of hyperion, endymion, rise of endymion).

David Brin's uplift saga is good.

Niven is good, he puts a lot of effort into being accurate to the "science" in sci-fi. The stuff set in his universe but not written by him is not always so great (eg, the man-kzin wars books). I liked Ringworld and Ringworld engineers. Ringworld throne wasnt that good though. i just started reading ringworlds children, so we'll see.

On the probably shouldnt read list:
Jack McKinney's robotech books are REALLY poorly written. I read them all anyways, as i like the story, but he is a pretty lousy writer.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
MadMachine said:
Stephen R. Donaldson - The Mirror of her Dreams
The Mordant's Need duology is probably his most accessible. Donaldson is half genius, half incredibly annoying author. I don't think I've read a single book of his that doesn't involve someone getting raped (I read a book of his short stories too and it happens in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM). Frankly I find it exploitative and cheap. And sometimes he seems to be doing it in a prurient way, which is totally off-colour. On the other hand the Covenant books were incredibly imaginative. He's started writing a new set, hasn't he? Maybe I'll bother to read it.

Rassilon666 said:
Niven is good, he puts a lot of effort into being accurate to the "science" in sci-fi. The stuff set in his universe but not written by him is not always so great (eg, the man-kzin wars books). I liked Ringworld and Ringworld engineers. Ringworld throne wasnt that good though. i just started reading ringworlds children, so we'll see.
There's a new one out? Ugh, after Throne I dread to think what it'll be like...

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
. He's started writing a new set, hasn't he? Maybe I'll bother to read it.
i just finished reading the runes of the earth...this book is about linden...i never did like her...if you remember how the previous books ended

(minor spoiler alert)

with covenant's death...this one will be a shocker...i was ready to write the rest of the series off...after all how can you enjoy a book about the land without thomas covenant? anyway...page 513 ends the first book with thomas covenant making a surprising appearance...the bastard has me hooked...now i have to get the next book...fatal revenant.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I never really got why he put her in it, except as a rather clumsy narrative device. Ugh, maybe I'll get it.