Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need help with this thing for Chemistry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nefastaru, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Nefastaru

Nefastaru IncGamers Member

I need help with this thing for Chemistry

I have a chemistry project i need to do on Paul Giguere's periodic table, the problem is i cannot find any information other then a picture of his table(the 3D one). I have yet been able to even find out how his table is organized, and this is after 6ish hours of solid googling. Anyone got anything that might help me out?

2. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

While I'm not quite experienced at it, from previous chemistry knowledge, it seems that he has grouped the alkaline and alkali metals together in the blue portion. They represent groups 1 and 2. I don't have the American table memorized and as such I'm too lazy to check if there are other similarities. However, to me it looks like he based the size of the blocks based on energy lvl of the electrons. As such, he seems to have basically taken apart the period table, placed it on different 3d lvls (to represent energy lvl), and uses color coding for the different groups of the table. Hope it helped. ....

3. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

4. Nefastaru

All that does is show what the table looks like, it doesn't offer any explanations, and i've already seen that site.

5. Module88

A further explanation I could offer is he arranged by families. He put the two a metals together, put the transitions together, etc etc. By using height, he could show the energy level, although today's table seems a bit easier to look at (being 2d). :scratch:

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

7. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

Alright then, all I can suggest is try to find a really big library and look for these:

Which I got from this site that mentioned:
    ... But I'm sure you've found that already anyway.

8. Nefastaru

That just scares me. . .

Edit:
    and about the library i live in the boonies, and don't really have to time to drive over an hour to a library, o well back to the net i geuss it is.

Thanks everyone for the help, if i find anything i'll add it here for anyone whos interested. And i'll keep checking back incase anyone else lucks out or has some predisposed superior understanding of the subject.

2nd Edit:
    Yes i have seen that, and i've been trying to find more information based on that, but either im not finding anything, or what i am finding is just going way over my head.

9. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I like that periodic table, Mac. I'm here at work, being a chemist, reading that file for entertainment. Pretty bad when I want to print a copy to take to the bathroom with me instead of a newspaper.
    There's excitement for you.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Here's the original site, if you haven't found it already. Feel free to print out a larger copy suitable for framing. There's also a reference paper that goes with it there as well.

11. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I'll take my standard periodic table I use in my beginning chemistry class. Simple yet useful. I got a 98/100 on my 1st chemistry midterm!!!

12. piff

piff IncGamers Member

My teacher went over the periodic table's specifics in chemistry today.

Groups and familes are the columns, while periods and series are the rows.
    Families one and two are the Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals, respectivly. Family 17 is the Halogen family. Halogen 16 is the Chalcogen family. The group of metals in the center (families 3 to the family with Carbon and Aluminium) are called tansition metals. In series 6, there is an extended area called teh Lanthanide Series. In series 7, it's the Actinide series. They are not connected due to electron configurations, but I don't think you'll need to know that.

The atomic number (the numbers running 1-110something) is equal to the numberof protons in the nucleus. The atomic mass (normally the decimal number) is the weight of one mole of each element in grams.

Anything else?

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Thanks, Mac. I will now drive my fellow nerds buggy using it as wallpaper on my computer.
    Exquisite.

14. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

What happened to the other 2%?

15. Module88

This doesn't however, help in deciphering other tables unless you know why the arrangements are the way they are. Unfortunately, there are several options that could be chosen. :p

16. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I couldn't read directions properly. Name the compound between Ba and P. I wrote down the formula for Barium Phosphate.