I need help with this thing for Chemistry

Nefastaru

Diabloii.Net Member
I need help with this thing for Chemistry

I have a chemistry project i need to do on Paul Giguere's periodic table, the problem is i cannot find any information other then a picture of his table(the 3D one). I have yet been able to even find out how his table is organized, and this is after 6ish hours of solid googling. Anyone got anything that might help me out?

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
Nefastaru said:
I have a chemistry project i need to do on Paul Giguere's periodic table, the problem is i cannot find any information other then a picture of his table(the 3D one). I have yet been able to even find out how his table is organized, and this is after 6ish hours of solid googling. Anyone got anything that might help me out?
While I'm not quite experienced at it, from previous chemistry knowledge, it seems that he has grouped the alkaline and alkali metals together in the blue portion. They represent groups 1 and 2. I don't have the American table memorized and as such I'm too lazy to check if there are other similarities. However, to me it looks like he based the size of the blocks based on energy lvl of the electrons. As such, he seems to have basically taken apart the period table, placed it on different 3d lvls (to represent energy lvl), and uses color coding for the different groups of the table. Hope it helped. ....

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
Nefastaru said:
All that does is show what the table looks like, it doesn't offer any explanations, and i've already seen that site.
A further explanation I could offer is he arranged by families. He put the two a metals together, put the transitions together, etc etc. By using height, he could show the energy level, although today's table seems a bit easier to look at (being 2d). :scratch:

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
Nefastaru said:
All that does is show what the table looks like, it doesn't offer any explanations, and i've already seen that site.
Alright then, all I can suggest is try to find a really big library and look for these:

E.G. Mazurs has written a fairly comprehensive book outlining the different presentation forms of the periodic table that have been proposed (E.G. Mazurs, Graphical Representations of the Periodic System During One Hundred Years Alabama:University of Alabama Press, 1974.

J. Bouma, J. Chem. Ed., 66 741 (1989). An Application-Oriented Periodic Table of the Elements
Which I got from this site that mentioned:
This is a 3-D periodic table constructed by Paul Giguere based primarily on the electronic structure of the atoms. The four main groups of elements are separated according to the type of atomic orbitals being filled. This animated graphic may take a few moments to load.
... But I'm sure you've found that already anyway.

Nefastaru

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Meh, this is the real deal. <--- pdf file.

OK, so I'm biased. I helped out a little with this version.

That just scares me. . .

Edit:
and about the library i live in the boonies, and don't really have to time to drive over an hour to a library, o well back to the net i geuss it is.

Thanks everyone for the help, if i find anything i'll add it here for anyone whos interested. And i'll keep checking back incase anyone else lucks out or has some predisposed superior understanding of the subject.

2nd Edit:
Yes i have seen that, and i've been trying to find more information based on that, but either im not finding anything, or what i am finding is just going way over my head.

I like that periodic table, Mac. I'm here at work, being a chemist, reading that file for entertainment. Pretty bad when I want to print a copy to take to the bathroom with me instead of a newspaper.
There's excitement for you.

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll take my standard periodic table I use in my beginning chemistry class. Simple yet useful. I got a 98/100 on my 1st chemistry midterm!!!

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
My teacher went over the periodic table's specifics in chemistry today.

Groups and familes are the columns, while periods and series are the rows.
Families one and two are the Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals, respectivly. Family 17 is the Halogen family. Halogen 16 is the Chalcogen family. The group of metals in the center (families 3 to the family with Carbon and Aluminium) are called tansition metals. In series 6, there is an extended area called teh Lanthanide Series. In series 7, it's the Actinide series. They are not connected due to electron configurations, but I don't think you'll need to know that.

The atomic number (the numbers running 1-110something) is equal to the numberof protons in the nucleus. The atomic mass (normally the decimal number) is the weight of one mole of each element in grams.

Anything else?

Mad Merlin

Diabloii.Net Member
Corneo said:
I'll take my standard periodic table I use in my beginning chemistry class. Simple yet useful. I got a 98/100 on my 1st chemistry midterm!!!
What happened to the other 2%?

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
piff said:
My teacher went over the periodic table's specifics in chemistry today.

Groups and familes are the columns, while periods and series are the rows.
Families one and two are the Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals, respectivly. Family 17 is the Halogen family. Halogen 16 is the Chalcogen family. The group of metals in the center (families 3 to the family with Carbon and Aluminium) are called tansition metals. In series 6, there is an extended area called teh Lanthanide Series. In series 7, it's the Actinide series. They are not connected due to electron configurations, but I don't think you'll need to know that.

The atomic number (the numbers running 1-110something) is equal to the numberof protons in the nucleus. The atomic mass (normally the decimal number) is the weight of one mole of each element in grams.

Anything else?
This doesn't however, help in deciphering other tables unless you know why the arrangements are the way they are. Unfortunately, there are several options that could be chosen. :p

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Mad Merlin said:
What happened to the other 2%?
I couldn't read directions properly. Name the compound between Ba and P. I wrote down the formula for Barium Phosphate.