Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need help with calculating damage for a vengeance sorc.

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Emil Boeje, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

I need help with calculating damage for a vengeance sorc.

Hi, I'm interested in making a vengeance sorc, but I'm afraid of exceeding the 87k damage cap.

My problem is that I don't know how vengeance and mastery work together, so I hope someone in here could give me some numbers, I'll list all the details:

Equipment of relevance:
    Total +0 to all skills
    Total +3 to sorc skills
    Vengeance weapon: (Adds +1 vengenace as an Oskill)

Attributes:
    Str. should be set to the amount the specific weapon listed below requires, however AFAIK it doesn't really matter much when dealing with the skill, vengeance.

Skills:
    20 in lightning and fire mastery (23 total)

So I'd like to know what kind of damage I could expect from the combination of masteries and vengeance when socketing a kingslayer in each of the following weapons:

Champion Axe (Two-handed)
    Decipator (Two-handed)
    Phase Blade
    Berserker Axe

Thank you in advance.

2. drool

drool IncGamers Member

Re: I need help with calculating damage for a vengeance sorc.

The damage cap is 87030 for a SINGLE damage source. That means 87k fire, 87k cold, 87k light, 87k physical, 87k magical, 87k poison all per frame would stack together. Such a feat would be impossible to ever achieve without modding.

Basically, you shouldn't worry, as you will always be FAR under the damage cap, regardless of the weapon you use kingslayer in.

3. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

You especially wont have a problem with that few +skills. To even get close to 87k total damage I imagine you'd need a heck of a lot more than that, let alone getting 87k to each element!

4. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

So what damage can I expect with the listed equipment, stats, and skills?

Again it's how the damage of vengeace will cooperate with masteries that I don't know, if I could get this information, or the damage with, say a champion axe, then I'll be happy.

Thank you in advance.

5. PowerSixSixSix

PowerSixSixSix IncGamers Member

The way vengeance works with a sorceress is kinda weird. You do get exponential damage growth due to +skill items and the sorceress masteries. The real problem is how vengeance works: the base elemental damage is rather pathetic. Vengeance works by converting the weapon damage into the three elemental damages and with the skill multiplying that. Say you have a 100 max damage weapon with KingSlayer in it. That +1 Vengeance can deal up to 170 max fire, 170 max lightning, 170 max cold damage. Level 20 lightning mastery will work with that 170 max lightning damage to get 642. Level 20 fire mastery will increase that 170 max fire damage to 447. Items with "+1 to all skill levels" will boost the skill level of vengeance but the gains aren't that great (+6% per skill level). Both fire mastery and lightning mastery have better returns for your character. The best way to increase vengeance damage is to put it into a high base damage weapon. That would be a glorious axe with 60 to 124 base damage used for the Vengeance calculation.

Kingslayer will get you know where near the damage cap. The only way to get close to it is to use two dream runewords on a sorc and really pump up lightning mastery.

6. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

Hi

As I understand you, the forumla is as follows:
    Damage equals: Base damage of weapon * (1 + veng%/100)*(1 + mast%/100)^2

Is this correct?

Thank you.

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

No, the mastery is only applied once in the case of Vengeance, because Vengeance adds a percentage of the weapon dmg as elemental dmg, as opposed to Enchant, which adds a straight fire dmg bonus as skill.

8. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

So from how I understand the last post, I assume that the double applied mastery bug, won't work with vengeance.

So e.g. from the gimmershred or famine weapon it would've been:
    elemental damage * (1 + mastery% / 100)^2

From vengeance it is:
    base damage * (1 + vengeance% / 100) * (1 + mastery% / 100)

Is it correct?

Thank you very much

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Afraid not. If a skill adds elemental dmg to a melee attack, it will be enhanced by the mastery upon casting, and again upon hitting an enemy. Elemental dmg from items isn't cast, thus gets the multiplication only once.

10. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

Yes, ok, I think I understand.

I guess the idea of making a vengeance sorc isn't very good, unless I work with a high amount of +skills to boost my vengeance skill as well.

When it comes to it, it'll probably be worse than a vengeance/conviction paladin damage wise anyway, unless my sorc gets some -%resist or the resist of the moster is bad.

Thanks to all of you for setting time aside for answering my post, have fun playing.

11. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

While you won't get anywhere near dual dream damage, with good gear/-%resists (rainbow facets?) you could be on to something here.

12. Emil Boeje

Emil Boeje Banned

Btw. I'd really appreciate it, if someone would write the correct formula, then I'll maybe try to go with something like +10 all skills in a decapitator, with maxed masteries and +3 sorc skills.

Thank you in advance.

13. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I *think* the correct formula is this: (base damage * (vengeance% / 100)) * (1 + mastery% / 100)
    That to each element apart.
    Keep in mind that with just 40 points invested in Masteries you could also max Enchant ensd synergy to add some more Fire damage to your attack.

14. PowerSixSixSix

PowerSixSixSix IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery for the -enemy cold resist works with Vengeance. If you have a merc with Infinity and it's conviction aura, monsters with that have their cold immunity removed will still have relatively high cold resist. One point into cold mastery with enough +skill items can do wonders here.

It is not a bad idea to put one point into cold mastery if you have a melee sorc in general. This is especially true if you plain on using the Doom runeword even though it already has -enemy cold resist.