Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need help against the evil that controls the router. ifr

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by GroundTrooper, Mar 16, 2004.

1. GroundTrooper

GroundTrooper IncGamers Member

I need help against the evil that controls the router.

I don't know if this has been brought up before...

I have a stepfather that will not allow the wireless router to a gaming preference. He claims that allowing multiple ussers to feed themselves off the data transfer for a game such as Starcraft.

These are his reasons for not allowing this:
    - Opening this sort of connection up will allow virus' to be transferred onto my moms, mine, or his computer over the network
    - He's paranoid, he reads every virus article at any given time in a day if it's new.
    - And finally he's an *******.

If any of you can provide me with the proof that Battle.net doesn't do this without saying, you need antivirus software, and firewall. Just give proof othat than that. I would like to get back to playing. (Creditable sources would be good.)

If I need to elborate to this, it's all in this. He claims that Battle.net is a place where people can infect others computers through the game link.

Please....help me...-.-

2. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Hmm...you can't download anything that is malicious off of battle.net without your knowledge. The only information feed you'll be getting is chatting, servers telling your computer what's going on so it can show up, and downloading a patch (which isn't going to happen again anytime soon). Tell you what. If you have TechTV, a cable channel, tell him to call in to Call For Help (3 Eastern or something) and they'll answer tech questions and they answer questions like these on there. You can also e-mail them. http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp

3. evasion

evasion IncGamers Member

Ask your stepfather that, if you can prove to him that letting you play games on Battle.net causes no greater risk than viewing websites or reading e-mail - will he let you play?

If he says no, no matter what you can't play, then you have your answer.

If he says yes, ask him what proof he would accept (sources, number of sources etc)

Sounds as though he is just using 'bad things' as an excuse to not let you play.

4. chaka

chaka IncGamers Member

Blizzard would not do this. Such a thing as letting virus' in and other programs without your knowledge would be illegal. Your biggest issues with a wireless router would be bandwidth hijakers and hax0rz. To combat bandwidth hijackers, configure your router to only service certian MAC addresses. To combat the hax0rz just configure your router to block all ports.

5. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I think you only need 1 port open, to play closed battle.net. 4000, if memory serves me. I just went through this.

To play Diablo LoD. I dunno StarCraft.

Your stepfather is just doin his job. Lay off.

6. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

"The evil that controls the router"

So that's who the terrible new villain will be in the next DII expansion...

7. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Indeed! :thumbsup:

:lol: