Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need computer help!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Nov 19, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

I need computer help!!!

Hi guys. I'm going to be honest, my knowledge of computers, how they work, managing programs and such and all there is to know...well, there is none. My problem enlies with the internet currently.

While working on a project for school, I had 5 or 6 web pages up and about 2 or 3 word documents. I was done with everything on the comp and so I x'd off everything, but the last web page I x'd out of, it froze for about a second. I realized I needed to check a page real quick so I hit start, then internet, but something different popped up than the usual Mozilla Firefox, that's what we have, with the google home page. Instead, a small window appeared with me having two options to choose from: Either default or Duncan (Our last name and I guess some configuration the computer picked up from our account). So confused, I picked Duncan, yet no internet appeared and then I hit start and internet again, but the same little window appeared. This time I chose default and luckily the internet came up, but with a big problem, all our Favorites are gone! Instead, the favorites we had from a while back, and I believe from a different internet provider or something, a little to confusing to explain, but simply put there were different favorites than we were used to, and so now I'm stuck with the internet, but as though it started back up from scratch. The history has no info in it what so ever, and I have nothing on the toolbar except the file, edit, view, etc, and back, forward, home, and refresh.

I've tried everything I can to get stuff back, but my trials are still proving unsuccessful and while even though the internet is up, I really want to get back all of mine and my mom's favorites and I can't get that little window I described to come up again.

If anyone can please help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys

-Donutz

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

it would be a lot easier if you could post a screenshot of the popup. Hit the prt scr key on your keyboard when the popup shows up and open up ms paint. Paste the picture and save it as a jpeg and upload it imageshack.us

3. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Duncan. Donutz. Duncan Donutz. HAHAHA! That's awesome!

Anyway, you and everyone else needs computer help around here. It probably didn't delete your favorites, just loaded a new set. Go to Documents and Settings and look at the users and check their favorites. If you recognize your set, you can just copy it into all of the other Favorites Folders, and that should solve the problem. Obviously, it'll override the other favorites, so make sure the other users want you to override their favorites before you actually do it.

4. diablo loves donutz

Wow you guys posted fast lol, ty.

@mhl-I would try to, but as I said, the windwo I described won't come up again. It came up when I hit internet, and after I hit default, the internet came up whenever I hit the internet on start.

@module-yes, that is actually the whole reason why I use donutz in a lot of instances lol. Thanks for the help though, I'm going to give it a try and I'll get back to you.

Edit: Quick question module, how do I get to the section in documents that enables me to choose which account.

Btw, if it helps, my mom, bro, dad and I all have accounts, but 24/7 it's on my mom's account and we all just pretty much share that one and use it as we come and go.

5. Module88

Unless you changed your permission settings, you should be able to access it from any account. If worse goes to worse, log into the administrator account.

6. diablo loves donutz

I'm still a little confused, remember btw that your talking to computer dee dee dee over here. I don't think there is necesarily a administrator account. Pretty much there are 4 accounts, I mentioned them above, and for the problem at hand, everything is concerning my mom's account. In a way, I guess you could say there is only one account on the computer as we only ever log in under that one. I still don't get how to access the permission settings or find the account info using my documents. I think the problem is something with the internet, but I'm still lost on what to do.

7. Module88

Uh, in the login screen, it should say which account is the administrator account. Go to My Computer, the partition that has the OS in it, and Documents and Settings. You should see "All Users" and four other user names (All folders). Open all of these and look at the Favorites folder. Find the one you want to keep and copy and paste it into the other favorites folders.

8. diablo loves donutz

What do you mean by OS?

Hopefully all the favorites weren't erased and they can be simply managed I hope.

P.S-Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just really want to fix this lol

9. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

The OS is the Operating System,which is essentialy the code that makes everything else run. Examples of an operating system would be Windows XP, Mac OSX, Linux, BSD and Solaris.

10. rare

rare IncGamers Member

if you have firefox, and whenver you clicked on it it asked you for a name, and firefox kind of crashed/froze as you were closing it, chances are you were supposed to stop trying to reopen it, and go to the task manager and end firefox.exe.

since you ddint do that, it sounds like it was asking you what profile you wanted firefox to open, since your "default" was stuck on from the previous webpage, it was asking you if you wanted to keep the default running (as it should have been in task mgr.) or if you wanted to open up another one; and i think firefox names a profile after your xp account.

you should check out the firefox help forum for how to get your profile back, since it does sound as if you lost all the stuff you had (favorites and such).

11. FirsTimer

FirsTimer IncGamers Member

System Restore FTW!

12. diablo loves donutz

Cool, thanks for the help guys

@module-Well like I said, It doesn't say which is the administrator account, but I'm sure I can just switch between all the accounts to see if one of them is, possibly my dad's, but I have to check with him.

@rare-yes i think that was the case of what it did in terms of using the name of the profile after your xp account. I will definently try to go to the firefox help forum though, is there any paticular way to get there, or do I simply type in MozillaFirefox.com or where should I go exactly?

13. rare

rare IncGamers Member

14. diablo loves donutz

OOOOOOOO yes just to let everyone know what I'm talking about, rare's first link, the very first oicture of a window there, that's what I saw, except duncan was in the options to choose from as well....I must investigate!

15. rare

rare IncGamers Member

yep, now read the byronmiller link, sounds like that person has the exact same issue you have

16. diablo loves donutz

Things are looking good lol. Just some more quick questions and hopefully this should all be taken care of lol.

Really computer noobish question, but where do you go to to browse again?

What would you say my problem falls under in what section of that first link?

In Ron's section, do I have to be on the admin's account to access step 3 and even if not, I'm still confused on how to find that folder/address?

This is still progress nontheless and I greatly appreciate it btw.

17. diablo loves donutz

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

I FIXED IT HOOOORAY!!!!!!

All my bookmarks are finally restored, this kicks ***.

Thank you thank you rare, I can't tell you how happy I am now lol.
    Yea I pretty much followed the steps on ron's page, and worked everything out and boom, it worked!

Thank you again everyone.

-Donutz

18. rare

rare IncGamers Member

-"where do you go to browse"

you basically open up my computer, my documents..anything with a little address bar at the top. It usually says "My Computer" or something, just delete that, and treat it like an address bar to go anywhere inside your computer. Follow whats on there about the path to those files, and jsut replace the name on that article with your user name for Windows.

Which one is you rproblem in the first thread?

I would say its the first one, locating your profile. it seems you need to locate it first, inorder to restore it, as the "ron" link shows.

I highly doubt you need to be in an administrator account to do any of that, worse case it may tell you some files are hidden to protect you; all you do is click on "show contents" or soemthing like that. it will be a very obvious link, right under this supposed "warning files are hidden to protect you". Usually its in smaller, white letters.

um, if your win xp account name is "duncan":

go to my computer
    at the top there is a little address bar that says My computer
    erase all that
    by taking whats on Ron's link, (C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles), yours would be

C:\Documents and Settings\Duncan\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

i hope this helps, i have not read through it (the links, the firefox help one especially) entirely but let me know if it is still not clear

19. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Oh, a bit too late.

Well, youre welcome :)

freet is right, experience is good :p