Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need a few book thoughts...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Head Jumper, May 20, 2008.

1. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

I need a few book thoughts...

Ok, i have to prepare Friedrich Nietzsche's -"Anti-christ" for my philosophic class, so i could use some thoughts of yours about the book, and the Nietzsche himself.. So... :brainiac:

2. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

Re: I need a few book thoughts...

Do your own homework.

3. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

Yeah, thanks, w/e.

Anyway, a quick disclaimer: I HAVE read the book, it's not like I want to skip reading it, I like Nietzsche but actually I could use some other opinions. OPINIONS.

Thanks in forward.

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

Nietzsche was a supremacist. Pretty horrible guy.

5. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I don't recall which book of his I have in that stack in my room, but I recall him being clever and making several good points. I tell the story about the ham in the pan ocasionally at work when it's appropriate. makes me sound wise.

I should speak in parables/fables/etc more often.

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

His philosophy is so full of antisemitism. Jewish priests making slave morality the stronger?

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teacha
    'bout the raising of the wrist.

8. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

He kind of has a point. Compare the expected subservience of Jews to Jahweh concerning Mosaic laws and then relationships people had with gods in classical Greece, who made "scracth my back and I'll scratch yours" -type of reciprocal deals with them.

I don't agree with his position, but as far as that comment goes it's justifiable to some degree.

I'm not particularly sure about the supremacist deal either, although that is definitely a visible part of his writing. The "superhuman" he was proponing, was, in the end, a being able to determine it's own morality, who could, according to Nietzsche, at last be a truly moral being, not forced by imaginary beings and projections of desires.

9. th5418

th5418 Banned

I wont disagree that he makes some valid points. But I'm pretty sure he thought that Hitler was a higher man. Which makes my acceptance of his philosophy just plummet.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  10. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Well, considering Nietzsche died in 1900, when Adolf Hitler was around 11 years old, I doubt Nietzsche thought of him at all.

If I understand correctly, Nietzsche was just as critical of Christianity as Judiasm, and for the same reasons - not anti-semitism but an aversion to subservience. His claim that "god is dead" may be seen as offensive by many religious people, perhaps justifiably so, but I'm not aware that he singled out Judiasm for particular scorn.

I only read excepts of his work years ago, so I can't really comment on his philosophy. I don't think he can be blamed for who (selectively) adopted his ideas, though the ideas themselves certainly can be critiqued. But keep in mind that just as some very ugly people claimed him as an influence, so did some great artists and thinkers.

I don't want anyone to take this as a defense of Nietzsche - I don't know his work enough to have a strong opinion - and certainly not of those who used his ideas to justify terrible actions.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  11. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Good point - it wasn't the racism-based anti-semitism by any means, and anti-religious part was as much against the Christendom as the Jews. I thought this as such a big self-evidence that I overlooked to mention it.

th5418 is right in that Nietzsche is sort of "blaming" the Jews for first perfecting the concept all-mighty, singular God that does not really have a representative on Earth. But as you said, he does not single out the slave mentality as something they alone would replicate.

12. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

:D

I'll drink to that!