Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need a computer.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I need a computer.

As some of you may recall, I have college at Georgia Tech coming up in a few short months. A big thing on my list of items to get, the only thing really, is a new computer. I have hardcore decided upon a PC, as most if not all of my classes after 2nd semester will be math based, thus negating a laptop for it's note taking abilites and so forth, but no only that, but I hate the lack of a raise keyboard, I can't type nearly as fast nor efficently. So, what I need from you guys is some tips as to what the latest and greatest is. By which I mean 2nd gen. stuff. Not the top of the line, but the stuff just before that. Further, I could use some help on where to buy everything. I need a pre-fab. So I was thinking ibuypower.com or tigerdirect.com possibly dell because they give a hefty discount to students, plus the incredible warranty.

I need some space to break this continuity of a semi-paragraph up.

Where could I find this stuff? This is going to be a Tech Computer, so I want to be able to run any game that comes out within the next 6 months really well.

AYUDAME PORFAVOR!!!!

2. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

how much are you willing to pay?

the top gear now is: processor- amd dual core 4200+ (400€ i think) and The new intel Dothan is great too
    graphic card- G70 from nvidia is out now and it should cost about 500€
    mainboard - hmm dont know the models now but one with nforce chipset from dfi, asus or gigabyte.

memory - if you're not a overclock guy go to 2x512 oem and if you are a overclock guy maybe kingston hiperX (?)

harddisk- maxtor 120gb+++ sata

soundcard- audigy 4

the rest(case, screen etc is at your pick :p)

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I believe he said he wanted a pre-fab sooo...I've been using Dells for a good while now with no problems. The prices can't be beat and, IMO, they are exremely reliable.

If I were looking for a computer like you are talking about I would consider this:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_xps5?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

And add at least 512 meg more memory to it.

4. Agateryon

ohh so thats what pre-fab is :p
    at least 512mb ram? beleive me you won´t go far with 512, in this days you need at least 1024mb of ram ;)

5. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

That's only assuming you're a gamer and even then 512 is enough for quite a few games... ;)

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Again, I said "add at least 512 mb of ram". It already comes with 512.

7. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

3 ghz
    1024ram
    audigy (cheapest version)
    120 gigs at least, get the fastest you can afford
    The gfx card of your choice. I'm an ATI fanboy ;)

Cheap, effective, all you need. Dell isn't too bad, but they *always* include ****ty gfx cards... Notice that he doesn't ask for top-of-the-line, so that Dell will probably be a bit too much. The machine I suggested is more than enough for gaming. I have a 1.8ghz 1024 ram 9600pro (128megs), and I can run BF2 on 1024 100% view distance and medium textures :)

HoD

8. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Mornin...errrr....afternoon Hats!!! ;)

9. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Morn. :) I'm off on holiday to Turkey this evening. :D

10. Agateryon

and please, do not go for a pentium processor... the only intel processor that is good is the newly released dothan...the other ones are too hot and aren't that good... if you don´t get a dothan go for amd.

Freet, sorry, i was reading things to fast and didn´t see that add lol

11. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Hmm I'm far from being a "techie" but my p4 works quite well and I do a lot of gaming. All depends on how extreme your needs/expectations are imo.

12. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

I realize that people won't listen, but it's worth while to wait until you get to school to figure out what you need for a computer. You may be able to get student discounts through the school. If most of your classes will be math based then you're probably safe getting a PC (as opposed to a Mac), but it's still worth waiting until at least right before you head off to get anything. Prices will drop considerably for what you get in the couple of months before school starts up and you probably won't need a computer the first week you're there.

13. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I think the best way to go here is to build your own pc. It's not that hard and if you know someone who has built one before im sure they will be willing to help you out.

For a pc of this sort of specs:
    AMD 64 3400+ (you can probably OC this safely to about 3800 or 4000)
    Asus socket 939 mobo or the DFI lanparty series (both nforce 4 with sli of course)
    1 gb ram
    Vid card of your choice (i recommend ati x800 xt or if you dont have the $ geforce 6800 gt both sli)
    Plextor or Lite-on optical drives
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (regular to save $ or ZS if you can afford to spend a tad bit more)
    A nice case of ur choosing
    Thermaltake 420 watt PSU

If you can get the right parts you can usually OC really well with this set up too. Performance will definitely be worth the low price.
    I left things pretty general here b/c it's really up to you to see what kind of comp you want, what brand, and price. But you can build a comp with these specs easily for under $1300. Mine is very similar to this build cept I have yucky icky p4 prescott 3.2 and intel 915pb mobo, eh it was a good deal and my dad bought it without asking me so...w/e.

btw GOOD LUCK AT TECH WOOT! *tear* for jarret jack being drafted.

EDIT: as for your math based classes don't worry about the program. It's matlab and any dinky comp can run those. You'll be using matlab and maybe mathematica exclusively. What major are u again?

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I can tell you right now, you're going to want a PC, and you're going to want a desktop. There will be computer labs near your engineering classes (most likely) so no need to bring your own computer. I'll leave it to everyone else to point out the ideal specs. But I will say that you'll want a GB of RAM. Think of it this way, you're not going to get a new computer before you graduate. This is it for 4 years, it's well worth putting a little extra money in it to make sure it's still nice and smooth 4 years down the road.

You should check the GT website. Since you're already accepted and you've told them you're going, you might able to get discounts now, even though you haven't started classes there yet. Dell makes good solid PCs and I believe you can get them with your choice of a couple of graphics cards, at lesat that's how it was when I got mine 4 years ago.

Some tips:
    Make sure you run ad-aware and anti-virus stuff because residential networks are the internet equivalent of cesspools.

I think it's better to get the PC in the summer because you have a little bit of time to set it up how you want it before you are caught up in starting college. It'll be much nicer to just put it on your desk and plug it in. Especially if you have a lot of files and stuff you want to transfer.

Look into getting a flat panel monitor, if you haven't decided to do so. Sure they aren't 100% the best for games because of the refresh rate, but they take up much less space. You're not going to get a huge desk in your dorm. If you have a CRT, you'll be able to fit your monitor and a keyboard on the desk, and maybe some speakers. To use the desk for papers, you'll have to move your keyboard out of the way. With an LCD, you'll probably have enough room to actually be able to do non-computer work at your desk (something I've never once done in my 4 years). And you're probably going to move every year you're in college, dorms for a year or two, and different places off-campus. A good CRT is pretty heavy, and can be a major pain in the rear to move.

15. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

He already said he didn't want a laptop; desktop s479 motherboards are expensive and not really worth the cost. And he said he wanted to play games, and Dothan (and Banias) have always had weaker FP performance, which can make a difference in games with a lot of physics.

If you can find an older Northwood core, it's actually a fairly solid processor. Netburst was a failed experiment, true, but Northwood was a strong implementation of it. Shorter overall pipeline than Prescott, but without the weaknesses of Willamette. I'm running a 3.0 GHz Northwood on a Springdale chipset, and its solid, with excellent performance.

And you can't overlook HT. It sounds like a bit of a gimmick, but nearly if not all reviews of the first HT-enabled Northwoods were nothing but positive about the benefits offered by HT. It's essentially performance for free. Who doesn't like free?

As a CS student, I'm always running a stack of programs at once. HT gives the system an overall smoother feel. It's not as good as a true SMP or dual-core system, but it's better than nothing.

While AMD does put out good stuff, Intel's stuff is not the garbage that AMD fans say it is.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Ah, Steel makes a good point I forgot to point out. You will be running a lot of programs at once. Especially if you get your hands on "borrowed" copies of Matlab, Maple, Ideas, and AutoCAD. When writing a lab report, you're likely to have picture files open, instant messager running, maybe music, AutoCAD, MS Word, and probably Matlab or Maple. You're going to want something that can handle this. If you ever get yourself accustomed to using multiple desktops, that might be something to use as well. I never bothered with trying to figure that out though.

17. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I'd prefer not to break the $1,500 mark, but if the deal is just too sweet at a few hundred more, then I'd go for it. Freet, that Dell looks like something I'd be very interested in. I think I get a 25% off discount or something on most of their computers if that's one that gets the discount it'll be at the top of my list. I plan to do ALOT of LANs and stuff like that when I'm at Tech, so the excellent Dell warranty is really appealing.

Accidental Coverage
    -Hey Dell, my HD broke and to see what it looked like inside I threw it off my porch to break it open.
    -That's ok, scrape up what you can and we'll send you a new one. Oh, we no longer have that 40 GB model so you'll get an 80 GB.

...True story.

18. Agateryon

I know it is not taht bad, i'm using a northwood 800mhz fsb 2800mhz M0 stepping (good to overclock) i don´t need much more than this i know, but i don´t play fps(im 15 years old and my parents don´t let me play violent games lol) and since fps's are the ones which require best cpu, and since amd has better solutions than intel right now for gamming, thats why im recommending amd.
    I am no amd fan boy, i just recomend what i think is better atm :p otherwise i wouldn´t even talk about the dothan (i'm seriously thinking about buying one of this since im using a P4P800 mainboard)
    same thing happened with my uncle, but with compaq..their computer was suposed to come with a 120gb hd but it came with a 80hd, so instead of switching they just added a 120gb one :lol: and they gave the computer a better graphic card than it was supposed to be :D (thought this was in sweden...here in portugal this stuff just doesn´t happen lol.)

19. SquareRootOfBob

SquareRootOfBob IncGamers Member

While Intel may not be "garbage," AMD simply puts out a cheaper product that performs better (especially in games), so there really isn't a reason to go Intel unless you're buying a pre-built computer that doesn't offer anything else.

20. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

www.craigslist.org I believe.
    Lots of good deals, tons of cheap computers. Check it out.