Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I need 2 Sorc builds plz

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by niner, Oct 31, 2006.

1. niner

niner IncGamers Member

I need 2 Sorc builds plz

One with good cold+light attack that can kill Baal and survive in hell.

One with tri-elem attack that can kill Baal and survive in hell.

Could someone reccomend me to a current guide that works, Ive been seaching guides section but am unsure which really is the best current one as some are older and I have newer equipment.

Thx.

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Cold + light is pretty easy - look for a CL/FO build in the library. Tri-elemantal's aren't too popular anymore. Ever since synergies came out in 1.10 you really need to watch your points more closely. There's still a guide in the library for one, but she's kinda outclassed. Everything in the library is current with 1.10 or 1.11 I believe.

3. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Kinda depends on how you define tri-elemental... a Meteorb's got Orb for cold, Meteor/Fireball for fire, and Static for lightning. :rolleyes:

5. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Well I think about doing a Baal run. On the way there u have LI's CI's and FI's monsters but you never have one that has all 3 elemental immunities on one creature(save the furnace).
    when I played 09 sorc you didnt have that, or at least the immunes were'nt as tough. I have been learning the infinity merc will solve these for single elemental immunes if you playing single elem sorc at a higher skill lvl. however I was wondering if u had balanced some kind attack with all 3 tri-elems and still be a feasable killer. which 3 attacks?
    would it have to be the strongest attack from each of the elements? And what can be the strongest attacks from each elem with least amount of synergy points used?

I dont want to leave any creature I can find in hell standing. If its not possible tri-elem then Ill try a different style build.

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

To build up viable spells in three different elements takes a ton of skill points and tends to leave you relatively ineffective in larger multiplayer games, which is why I mention Static as an option for the third element, lightning damage (fourth element if you count your Merc's physical damage). In short, you'd be better off building a cold/fire hybrid and relying on Static + Merc to take care of the very rare cold+fire immune boss (no regular monsters that I know of are immune to both cold and fire).

If you prefer to have big fire damage with cold as a backup, Meteorb is the way to go. If you prefer to have more of a balance between cold and fire, or if you prefer to have big cold damage with fire as a backup, Blizzball is the way to go. Either of these builds will be able to do solo Hell Baal runs with ease even in larger games, provided you've got some decent (not necessarily godly) gear.

If you're dead set on the stricter tri-elemental approach, I'd recommend something like this:

Full Tal's with Magefist and 35%FCR 'Spirit' Monarch (to hit 105%FCR). All builds have 20 in Frozen Orb, slvl 17 Cold Mastery after +skills, 1 in Warmth, 1 in Static, and 1 in Teleport.

Fire-based option:
    20 Fire Ball
    20 Meteor
    20 Charged Bolt
    rest in Fire Bolt and/or Fire Mastery

Lightning-based option (ideally get 12% more FCR to hit the 117% breakpoint:
    20 Hydra or Firewall
    20 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    rest in Charged Bolt and/or Lightning Mastery

Balanced option:
    20 Fire Ball
    20 Fire Bolt
    20 Charged Bolt
    rest in Lightning and/or Lightning Mastery

The possibilities are many...

7. EnerSense

I'm really not sure what you're looking for. I'm assuming you read the tri-element guides and my Mat thread by now. If you want a sorc that can use three elements with points placed in them more or less equally, you cannot expect it to be an uber powerful sorc. (At least not in 1.10/1.11.) There just aren't enough skill points to go around. The highest setting that this sorc can be on is usually p1-p4. Guess you have to decide if you want power or versatility. If it's power then go dual element. If it's versatility then go tri-element. Hope that helps you.

8. MageChick

I think its kinda wierd the way you say it. I've told a few people in the past that single element was for power and dual elemental was for diversity. You're right of course, I suppose its just a matter of perspective.

9. EnerSense

LOL! You're right. That is weird.

10. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

If I were making a Tri-elemental sorceress, I'd do something like this...

The gear would pretty much be non-negotiable. I've thought this through a little bit.

Full Tal Rasha's set. Preferably a 2/2/2 mastery orb. Ideally the 3 sockets on Orb, Helm and Armour filled with 1 of each 5/-5 Fire, Lightning and Cold Rainbow Facets. I've chosen this also for the -15% fire/lightning resist and +15% cold damage.
    Spirit Monarch. 35% FCR is a must. +2 skills is a must to help your damage.
    Magefists. 20% FCR and +fire skills is needed. Upgrade twice. Crusader Gauntlets need 151 str, which you will have thanks to Spirit.
    2 SoJs are ideal. IMO the extra mana is a must, you don't want to ever run out at the wrong time. With base Energy you can have a mana pool and mana regen that almost out-weighs mana use from casting. The +skills will also help your damage immensely. Otherwise BKWB's or any good rares/other uniques you might have.
    Boots are optional. Silkweave, Waterwalks, War Travelers, Sandstorm Trek*, Aldur's*, Hotspur... Rare boots with FRW, Fire/Poison resist*, dex, MF, GF, mana, life regen etc.

Torch and Annihilus are a given if you have them.
    An assortment of Fire, Lightning and Cold skill charms. 3 of each is nice and balanced. One with 12% FHR ideally, otherwise Life, Strength, Dex or Gold Find.
    Rest of charms with Fire/Poison/all resist, mana, life, MF. You need either a large charm with 8% FHR or 2 small charms with 5 FHR each if no FHR on skill charms.

*Take note that Tal's set and Spirit have plenty of Lightning and Cold resist, but lack in the Fire and Poison resists. Fill up the gaps with your boots or charms.

With this gear you reach 105% FCR which is a MUST to make up for less damaging spells. You also reach 86% FHR through 80% from Tal's set and Spirit and another 6% from charms.

Stats are the basic full Vita setup:
    STR: enough for 156 for Spirit after +stats from items and charms.
    DEX: base. can achieve 15-20% block with base dex with +stats from above items w/ Spirit.
    Vit: rest of points here
    NRG: nope.

As for skills...
    Lightning Spells
    20 Charged Bolt - Main Lightning skill.
    20 Lightning - synergy for above.
    1 Static field
    1 Teleport
    1 Telekinesis (prerequisite and utility skill)

Cold Spells
    20 Frozen Orb - Main Cold skill.
    6 prerequisites

Fire Spells This was a tough one... 2 choices here.
    20 Fire Ball - Main Fire skill.
    20 Fire Bolt - synergy for above.
    1 Warmth

OR

20 Fire Wall - Main Fire skill.
    1 Warmth
    3 prerequisites

You're probably wondering why there are no points in Fire/Lightning/Cold Masteries. There's a very good reason for that. Tal's Orb grants you +1-2 to each Mastery. With the other +skills from the listed gear, each will be at slvl 19, and slvl 20 Fire Mastery with no hard points in them. That gets you to the slvl 17 Cold Mastery (-100%) point. You don't need to spend a single point in Masteries at all if you wish. Taking the Fire Ball route, you will not have enough skill points to do so either. No Masteries will make leveling hard, but if you have good friends on Bnet, you can have the leveling done for you until level 65 when you can start using Tal's Orb.

The Fire Ball route is completed by level 98... which is out of reach for most players. Full power will not be reached until then. Fire Ball is spammable which, at 105% FCR, can pile on the damage quite quickly. You'll have exactly 1 skill point left over at level 99. Don't spend it all at once.

The Fire Wall route is completed by level 80. Fire Wall has a 1.4 second (35 frame) cast delay however, and only lasts 3.6 seconds (90 frames). You've got 19 skill points left until level 99 to play around with, which can ideally go towards Fire or Lightning Mastery.

Frozen Orb is the most bang for your buck in terms of power for skill investment. Charged Bolt can almost compare to Lightning and Chain Lightning in terms of power, for a considerably smaller skill point investment. I also momentarily considered Nova as the Lightning skill of choice, but it's weaker than Charged Bolt with the 40 point investment to the Lightning tree, it's mana cost is ridiculous, and requires that you be surrounded by targets for full effect.

With the gear and skills listed above, assuming perfect gear, you'll have a 625-650 Frozen Orb @ -110% resist, 350 damage 24 Bolts Chaged Bolt @ -20% resist, and either an average 5500 damage Fire Ball @ -20% resist OR an 8200 damage/second Fire Wall @ -20% resist.

And as for the mercenary... Act 2 Nightmare Defensive is the only way to roll. Holy Freeze will give you the edge over monsters with speed and crowd control needed for an easy time in Hell. There's only one weapon he should be wielding too... Infinity!!! Being a tri-elementalist, you can take full advantage of the Conviction aura. His helm and armour are optional, anything to keep him alive is fine.

I know the gear is a bit specific, but what do you think?

11. EnerSense

That looks like a cool build but I do have a couple things to say:

Remember, this is a tri-element build so it's not as strong as a single/dual element builds. Tal's Orb cannot be equipped until level 65. That means the sorc is usually well into NM difficulty. Also, Anni cannot be equipped until lvl 70 and Torch until lvl 75. That's too long to wait for points in masteries. I've made four tri-element sorcs and have always looked forward to level 30. This is usually the level where I put one point in all the masteries. The increase in damage output is noticable. Waiting until the higher levels to have points in masteries is not advisable. Also by that time, if you have items that grant +skills (i.e. vipermagi, SOJ's, magic/rare items), that will further help your sorc. Skillers (if playing twinked) will also help. They can be equipped at level 42.

I like to play this type of sorc from p1-p4. My sorc has Full Tal's, +10 to all skills and the orb grants +2 to all masteries. At p4, my sorc cannot kill fast enough to help protect her merc. Since I don't have access to all those nice rune words, I decided to get a might merc. Both characters do fine at p4 setting.

12. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Actually, every Sorc in the game has access to this really nice spell called "Summon Merc" that usually deals 100% physical damage, although I've seen variants that deal fire, cold, or lightning damage as well. It's really an extremely powerful spell, and afaik, doesn't require a single skill point. I'd recommend investing in it and using it to deal with dual-immunes.

13. niner

niner IncGamers Member

I would say so!:thumbsup:

Awesome reply man!

Any runewords give mastery skills? I cant think of any beside tal orb.
    But even being said tal set is a nice for sorc even just a few parts. I like your idea. sounds liek the ticket. Have you tried it.

EnerSense-Whats p1-p4?

14. EnerSense

In SP, you can simulate a multiplayer game by yourself. Type in /playersx in the dialog box where x = number of players. You can put up to 8 to simulate an 8 player game. You get all the experience since you are not sharing it with anyone else. It's a great way to level up quickly.

So p4 = 4 player game

15. MageChick

I'll 2nd the vote for full tal. Tal orb is really the only item in the game that benifits all three trees as much as it does. I think your equipment setup is dead on.

I like your two skill point ideas, but I'd also put 1 point into each mastery as soon as you can. 1 point into each one won't hurt you too much. (I don't see a tri-elementalist making it to level 98 anyway.)

For your merc, if you can't afford infinity - look into obediance. It still has 40% crushing blow and even more ed% than almost anything. If you can combine it with andy's or viper magi along with an eth fortitude or eth shaftshop he will pretty much take care of himself. You don't get the benifit of conviction, but your merc will make an awsome tank which really helps.

p1-p4 is a single player way to simulate a game with the set number of players (1 to 4 in this example). EnerSense is saying it will work up to a 4 player game, but has problems after that. You will have the same problems playing in big multi-player games on b.net.

-edit-
    oops, EnerSense beat me to that last part - oh well

16. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I did state that the gear was non-negotiable. Which kind of sucks if it's for un-twinked play. A dual-elementallist definately has the upper hand there.

I didn't really see this as a guide per se, but more of a hypothetical ideal situation, a look at a possible potentially powerful triple threat elemental machina! (err... tri-sorc...)

Although I haven't played this build in its entirety, I have experience using the skills, and the gear on various occasions over my D2 career. A 350 damage/bolt Charged Bolt casting @ 8 frames @ -20% resist, -105% with Conviction, is more powerful than it looks. Assuming 15 out of the 24 bolts hit a single enemy with 0% resist (reduced to -100%), that's 15*350 = 5250, or 10500 per hit at -100% resist. Over a 1 second duration that's an average 32812.5 damage dealt to said monster. You'll also have a 3-7750 damage Lightning at your disposal, but in its partially synergised state it wont be very powerful.

As for Frozen Orb, I did make a small mistake... it will be hitting at -115% resist normally, and -200% with Conviction. I forgot to factor the Facet in. Needless to say, -200% will treat anything that's not cold immune, up to 99% resist, as -100% resist. Now assuming that you hit with a "perfect orb", that will be around 20 bolts hitting the enemy. 16 on impact, and ~4 from random spray. 625-650 per bolt makes 12500-13000 total, or 25000-26000 at -100% resist. It's cast delay is 1 second, so that's pretty much the damage/second you'll be dealing. Keep in mind that the average hammerdin can deal say 12k hammers, and cast 2 per second. This will almost match that, but it looks much cooler and you'll most likely have a Fire Wall burning under their feet or Charged Bolts in their face too. In my experience, my Meteorb's 500-520 damage Orb @ -85% resist will kill in 8 player games, albeit a little slow, but it will still clear up the Throne if it needs to. A friend has a pure Orb sorceress, with a 700 damage Orb and max Cold Mastery, and it chews through things like a hot knife through butter. This sorc falls just short of that, but I doubt anyone would have a hard time with it if they know how to use Orb effectively.

Speaking of Fire Wall... It will burn at an average 8200 per second, @ -20% or @ -105% under Conviction. 16400 damage to a -100% resist monster per second. Also remember that the Fire Wall variant has skill points left over after level 80. 9 more points into Fire Mastery (bringing it from 20 to 29) will increase Fire Wall's damage to 10000/second.

On that note, I would personally alternate between Fire and Lightning Mastery for the last skill points after level 80 until level 99.

For the record, you'll have 271% mana regen from 1 point Warmth +skills and the 25% from Magefists. That with a 750+ mana pool from Tal's set, Spirit and 2 SoJs, mana will rarely be an issue.

I also forgot to mention the possibility of Battle Command's +1 to skills. Call To Arms w/ another Spirit would likely be the best option for prebuffing. All damage calculations were done without BC's +1 skills, so you'll be doing a little more damage than the fancy numbers I've already written down.

For single player however... you're going to be hurting to get all of the items, especially the Facets, SoJ's, Torch and Anni... this build is severely hindered without them.

Those damage numbers aren't particularly impressive compared to a pure or even dual tree sorceress fully decked out, but you'll have the obvious advantage of 3 semi-powerful elements at your disposal.

EDIT: if I wanted to build this myself, I'd have to give up my Tal's Meteorb sorc, which I'd rather not do, because she rocks out hard. That and I'd need another SoJ, reroll my Spirit to 35%, get an Anni, 3 of each skill charms... too much hassle considering I start my new full-time job on Tuesday next week... I hope... I dunno, I might give it a whirl some time.

17. niner

niner IncGamers Member

So tals orb is only item that grants + to masteries? Do they spawn on normal orbs?

Also bieng tri-elem could you make infinity on a dumpy low pole for mercs IM protection? any one try this?

18. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Well, Tal's also have the -15/-15/+15, which is why it rules for multi elements.

19. niner

niner IncGamers Member

KK so I made her and I can get to Ball and kill all in the way.

SAVE FOR SOULS!!!!!!! and this build cannot use T-gods. I considered the Whisp ring however I tried it once before and it doesnt come close to t-gods for lightning sorb/protection would it be viable?

This sorc will and does work. Not the greatest in hi MF % though but that isnt the point of making it. she can clear both WK lvls and Throne itself mostly using the cold orb till the throne then switching to Lightning for throne room minions then Firewall/Static on Baal.

Just wondering I got all skills maxed and have 4 points left over should I put into one point utility skill like TS or some defensive skill like cold or energy shield?
    one thing I find annoying is that Im losing life all the time and have no life regen/absorb so Im constantly chugging heal pots. I got all 3 tri facets and socketed cold into armor and light into mask. was wondering about the fire facet though because seems only time I use the firewall is on Baal and it kills fast as a Smiter so i dont really think anymore into fire killing is neccesary. Should I socket another cold facet? cuz orb is the main attack on this build.

20. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

This is a bit late but.

Of course you do not need to build up all skill trees at the same time. Frozen orb will pretty much rule anything till hell. With one back-up skill to beat the cold immunes you'll do fine. Also baalruns or playing in parties can cover this up even more. Furthermore if you're twinking anyway it should be possible to have a low level orb with +skills to masteries.

From imbuing a Jareds stone I once got a +2 to lightning skills, +2 to lightning mastery, +3 to cold mastery, 20 fcr and cold res. The requirement for it is only lvl 30 so such stuff is perfect for this, till you reach the higher lvls.