Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I Love You

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Feb 22, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I Love You

Does anyone else here think that these three words have WAY too much meaning to them. I say them to my friends. Why? Because I love them. I care deeply for all of my close friends. I say those words to my girlfriend, because, once again, I care deeply about her.

Soceity puts way too much value on that phrase. In our culture, saying that phrase to a partner means, in general, that you are really commited to that person and you'd do anything for that person. Why can't loving someone be a friendly feeling as much as it can be a romantic one? Why is it this big thing when a partner tells the other that they love he/she?

I'll expand more when I see what thers have to say, since I think right now I'm working myself in circles.

There was no reason for this near-rant, just a spontanious thought.

2. Akira

Akira Member

Hrm, i'm not sure what you mean by the phrase being such a big deal in our culture, could you elaborate on that?

3. Captain-Dorf

Captain-Dorf IncGamers Member

Once when I was really hungry I told my ham sandwich that I loved it, and I meant it too.

4. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

What language is it that has several different words for love? So should we, it makes perfect sense.

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa020601a.htm

6. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

I love you man

7. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

If anything, the phrase has too little meaning because people feel like they have to throw it around if they've been dating for over a month. It's something that people will just toss around casually in many instances.

I don't believe that the words "I love you" should leave to some forever binding contract with the person you said them too, but I do think that they should have some serious meaning when used. I say it to my parents, my best friend (although not on a regular basis), and my girlfriend. No one else really. It's a powerful phrase that's lost a lot of its power because of the people who barely mean it when they say it.

8. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

I love humanity

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Thanks for the read, Dross. I like it the way it is tossed around like garbage. We need other words to be tossed around, and a special word to have more value.

10. Tkdman

Tkdman IncGamers Member

Heres my thoughts:

Love is not an emotion. Emotions change.

Being "in love" is not love. Being "in love" is a good feeling, but it is still just a feeling. You can't expect to live out a marraige without this feeling changing, or maybe even disappearing completely. Love, (in this second sense I'm talking about) is a deep unity, kept going by will and strengthened by habit. It is this that allows married couples to love each other even when they don't like each other. This love is like the motor marraige runs on, being "in love" is like the explosion that gets it started. Being "in love" is what gets two people to promise fidelty, love is what helps them keep that promise.

Love is also a choice that made for one's greater good. The person(s) can be anyone, including yourself.

Sorry, I kinda went off on a tangent about marraige.

I have never been married, so I can't say this is true based on experience. But talk to some couples who have successful marraiges, and see what they say. They may prove me to be right or wrong. But you'll have an answer, and that's whats important

11. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I love you Piff.

12. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

I love the OTF. Doesn't mean I want to marry it or anything.

13. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

In my opinion there is not enough value placed on those three words, not the other way around.

I love my wife.
    I love my children and family.

I also love a good beer, most people dont' have trouble understanding the difference.

It's a good word, makes you feel good using it. Use it.

-DadV2.0

14. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

I save the L word for things that truly have meaning to me. Things that I truly love. I don't ever go around saying "I love this, I love that, I love you dantose, make love to me th15234!"

I agree with D2NetDad, not enough value is placed in this word. :drink:

15. toader

toader Banned

"Wove.....Sweet Wove...."

16. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Exactly...people toss it around like garbage because there's nothing else to replace it. Because of this, it will never evolve into a word that is used exclusivly for what we call true love.

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

mawwaige, is wwhat bwings us togewvuh

18. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Mere semantics, Piff. Those who know I love them truly, know the meaning behind it when I tell them.
    My wife knows what I mean when I tell her I love her. The circumstances determine what kind of love I'm talking about; obviously, in the throes of passionate embrace, it means something other than when I'm loving her for being a good mother to my our children, or for doing something nice for me.
    My kids know what I mean when I say I love them. Something I don't really tell my 14-going-on-15 son, now, but rather show him. A hand on the shoulder, a smile and a "Good job, son, I'm proud of you" are all he can handle right now without being embarrassed.
    I don't see the problem here.

19. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Mixed, see, you are comparing a live-long love with your kids. Both are equal to you, yet you show them in different ways. But what about when it's not so equal? Such as a teen's *cough* me *cough* love for a parent compared to one to a girlfriend, compared to one of a friend? Sure, you can express it different ways. But sometimes meanings can be jarbled. How does one express them all differently, yet without ruining the power of the phrase? I don't see a way in which this works.

20. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

the power of love lies not in the word itself, instead it lies in the actions from our heart.