I let my merc get too far behind! Help!

Bengalfang

Diabloii.Net Member
I let my merc get too far behind! Help!

So I am about lvl 40 now and my merc is a measley 14. He's a defiance merc. What should I do?

Thanks

memememe173

Diabloii.Net Member
do areas such as the 8 tal rasha tombs, arcane,the start of act 3

let the merc get all the kills, use static to speed it up and use ice bolt or glacial spike to freeze but not kill

Bengalfang

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I got him to 17 so far.... It's kind of slow... is there anything I can do that would speed this up?

memememe173 said:

let the merc get all the kills, use static to speed it up and use ice bolt or glacial spike to freeze but not kill

memememe173

Diabloii.Net Member
k then go to Tomb's if that's too easy start act 3, then move to next act 3 area onc ethat too easy,

Then maybe act 1 nm or act 4//5 norm around his 25-30th lvl

Stiertje

Diabloii.Net Member
memememe173 said:

You don't need him to get the kills. As long as the Area Level is is -4 to +4 difference from your merc's level he'll get full exp from the kill.

So for a level 14 merc you should go to a level 17-18 area. The area's around tal rasha's tomb(s) are level 17 so you should be perfect there. Arcana is only level 14, so less exp there.
And a (already) level 17 merc you can best level in the beginning of act3. These area's are level 21-22 and have lot's of monsters. Just kill them as fast as possible and your merc will level like crazy.

Remember, total exp earned is multiplied by the number of players in the game. It doesn't matter if they're in your party or not (best not, because when a party member kills a monster your merc won't get exp) Just enter a multiplayer "act1 start" or "act2 starting" game or the like and start killing those baddies asap.
And if you're single player do this; Type <enter> and type as message "players 8" and again <enter>. Now the monsters are as strong as if you are in an 8 player game, and you get Exp the like.

A list of area-levels can be found here

Stiertje

Diabloii.Net Member
Barking_Spidre said:
mercs get 3 times the exp if they make the kill also.
But you kill 20 times as fast with your Sorc, so it still is best to start killing yourself. Plus you don't really have to take good care of your merc since on low levels they tend to die pretty quickly.

royalesse

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah... Stiertje is right... the experience bonus is nice but if you can clear an area 10x faster using your main char over your merc then it's faster. Just look at the monster pages on Arreat Summit and pick areas for your merc. I had a frostdin that lvled an Act 2 prayer merc from lvl 12 up to 74. For the first 20 lvls I was just walking around counting icecubes and the merc still lvled.

If you still want the merc bonus... use enchant on him and make sure he has a fast weapon. Other than that static, static, static.

What kind of a sorc are you making?

Bengalfang

Diabloii.Net Member
royalesse said:
Yeah... Stiertje is right... the experience bonus is nice but if you can clear an area 10x faster using your main char over your merc then it's faster. Just look at the monster pages on Arreat Summit and pick areas for your merc. I had a frostdin that lvled an Act 2 prayer merc from lvl 12 up to 74. For the first 20 lvls I was just walking around counting icecubes and the merc still lvled.

If you still want the merc bonus... use enchant on him and make sure he has a fast weapon. Other than that static, static, static.

What kind of a sorc are you making?
Thanks guys! I am gonna go lvl him more right now. My sorc is a CL/FO. I have yet to point in static though. Should I? Also how do I get a list of areas and their lvls so I know when to move up to a new area?

Thanks,

Bob

weregamer

Diabloii.Net Member
Single-player players setting

Also, in 1.10 (and I thought in 1.09) they changed the "players" command to need a slash:

<enter>
/players 8
<enter>

joeku

Diabloii.Net Member
go rush some people through act2 with your merc.

your merc is able to rack up experience real quick in large parties, while helping others. I did that and in two night, he's in the 30's