Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hope D3 stays casual

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by piggybank, May 12, 2008.

1. piggybank

piggybank IncGamers Member

I hope D3 stays casual

I LOVE D2, in that I can jump on whenever I want, play for however long I want, and I always have the same access to content as everyone else. I hope D3 is like this as well.

If D3 goes the MMO route, I'm afraid it will end up like WoW, where it's all about guilds and scheduled raids. I don't want that crap for Diablo. I don't want the stupid bickering divided player bas that WoW has.

In Diablo games, the only difference between hard core and casual players was that hardcores dedicated more time and were able to progress characters faster, find items faster, etc. Casual have all the same opportunities as the hardcores, only it takes them longer. I think this is a great setup and we should want it to stay like this.

If D3 turns out like WoW, I guess I'll be playing D2 REALLY long time...

Vote for Diablo III, not World of Diablo! :thumbsup:

edit: Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not against having a persistent world to play in. Actually that would be preferred. I just don't want the whole "tank/dps/healer" group setup that forces people to schedule balanced groups in order to get anything done. In Diablo II, 8 players of the same class could do just as well as any balanced group, which made for easy partying. I don't want to see that changed.

2. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Re: I hope D3 stays casual

I agree, but it would be nice if Blizzard brought out a DIII and THEN brought out a World of Diablo later

3. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

What you are hoping for, kinda technically impossible BUT if it comes out, it would be the best games of all games.

4. piggybank

piggybank IncGamers Member

Technically impossible? How so? Diablo II exists with all those qualities, so...

Or do you mean the game being in a persistent world, yet still like Diablo II? It's possible. Heck, ever heard of Guild Wars or Mythos? Essentially they took the Battle.net formula where the game world is a bunch of instances, but they changed the chat room into towns, that way instead of logging in to a chat room with a list of games you can join or create, you log into a town whee you can trade, team up, etc.

I didn't really care for Guild Wars, but Mythos is a great game. Both have great setups as far as delivering a persistent world while still keeping the instanced combat zones.

5. ugd

ugd IncGamers Member

I share your dreams on this subject piggybank, throw an auction house function in there and I think we have a winner!

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I can't imagine Blizzard making another game that plays just like one that's already wildly popular, of course D3 would play differently. Just like SC and WC were very different RTSs.

7. middleman35

middleman35 IncGamers Member

The problem with this idea is that it leads to the situation we're in now with D2. Where you can do absolutely everything in the game with a Hammerdin (PVM). This promotes repetitive gameplay, which I hope the DIII design team are trying to avoid.

8. BattleQueen

BattleQueen IncGamers Member

I love the somewhat linear format of D2. MMORPGs take way too long a time and 3-D gives me headaches. D3 shd continue where it left off frm D2, with perhaps new variant classes and new skill-trees for existing classes. We can all dream, can't we? :grin:

9. Gaenor

Gaenor Banned

I really hope if D3 comes out, it'l will be more gothic like the first game. More darker, most mystical in some ways.. D2 was more lighter and funnier then the first one. The chances, it'l will be free is zero i think.

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

the key for D3 is to have action RPG gameplay

ie. you can mow down a monster in 1v1 combat in 1-3 seconds or blow away an entire screen of monsters in under 10 seconds using various AoE skills

in contrast to this gameplay is pretty much every single MMO where 1v1 combat lasting a minute or more is the usual

11. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

So you're saying that something like a the fast paced action that the fake Diablo III trailer posted on Youtube suggested would be a good option? Something like Dynasty Warriors?

12. dallasdakota

dallasdakota IncGamers Member

Oh you can with WoW, just have enough friends(No offense ment or anyting) who are willing to play and on.(Handy for them to be in your timezone)

(About the second Paragraph)
    Errr, I don´t play Hardcore non-ladder, but in Hardcore Ladder there is an avarage of 5 public games open in normal, that only decreases rapidly in NM and Hell. So much for just ´jumping in and going´ Unless you have an active group of friends. And yes Hardcore takes longer. Great setup with a few mistakes.

Persistent world play is very nices. They could do as well...

You have never played with a regular group, have you? Trust me, having a regular group in HC on top of normal playing is much better then trying to find public games or solo-ing HC only.

13. qtpielv

qtpielv Banned

It simply will not and can not stay casual, unfortunately.

The beaty of casualty is in the old graphics etc., despite all good ideas and so on, D3 will not be ANYWHERE near D2 just because it will be a more technically advanced game.

14. PoiZonCraZy

PoiZonCraZy IncGamers Member

Yeah but that same thing would apply to D2 from D1 then, wouldn't it? D2 still followed a similar structure to D1. I don't see why D3 won't be able to be similar to D2 because of advancement in technology.

They can make plenty of innovations for D3, and still make it a hack-n-slash type of game.

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

my point is the same as others have stated

in action RPG a single monster is a nuisance where a couple autoattacks or one skill cast will kill it, but a group (anywhere from 5 to whatever fills the screen) can quickly beat you down

unlike every single MMO (even those that claim to be casual) where to fight more than one enemy simultaneously is a serious challenge that requires health potions and a long fight that lasts a minute or more

there is no MMO with action RPG gameplay (hellgate london doesn't count because FSS can't even acknowledge what kind of game they wanted to make) because it is incompatible with the slow paced traditional holy trinity (tank + DPS + healer separate roles) gameplay of every MMO out there

16. Phazor

Phazor IncGamers Member

Actually, I was playing Hardcore ladder last night and noticed a lot of games in normal (just started a hardcore ladder sin). So it's still very active. May be different at other times of the day.

17. rawrawr

rawrawr IncGamers Member

hope its not like WoW gameplay

18. Q33

Q33 IncGamers Member

This was the exact same conclusion I arrived to myself. At first I couldnt put my finger on the difference between WoW and Diablo (other than the obvious graphics and persistent world), but then I realized it was the pace of the game. I never played WoW, but I watch my roommates play and it seems so slow paced. There are casting delays (at the beginning of the cast rather than the end of the cast like in Diablo), and he was only to take on 1 or 2 guys at a time. I want to play games where I take on 50 cows at a time spamming as many spells as possible. Those were the moments that made Diablo a great game for me.

Same thing with Guild wars...you were sitting around waiting 2-3 seconds for each spell to cast and obviously there were always around the same number of people on each team. If you were alone and outnumbered 3 to 1, things usually didnt turn out well, haha.

I think you might have misinterpreted what he was saying...I did the same thing when I first read it. I dont think hes talking about Hardcore in terms of Diablo terminology (i.e. one death means the end). I think hes talking about hardcore as in the opposite of casual. The guys that spend 15 hours each day doing meph runs, figuring out all the equations that run the game and trying to maximize run times by cutting off 15 seconds from each run.

In otherwords, everyone has the same opportunities (everyone can do meph runs), just the more serious players will do it more quickly (for example, they have all the durance lvl 2 maps memorized) than the more casual players. So a casual player can jump in and do 10 meph runs in like 30 minutes when he has time. A more serious player can do like 1000 in one day or whatever (just making these numbers up). BUT the important thing here is that the casual player's runs are just as profitable as the serious player's run (both are still meph runs that have the same probability of dropping the same loot), just the serious player completes many more runs than the casual player.

In contrast, apparently in WoW you have to have really balanced groups to run certain high level areas, which may never be accessible to casual players if they don't have a running guild they participate in. And these high level areas have "uber" gear or whatever, which the casual player will never even have the chance to encounter.