Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I have a virus.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Newman, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

I have a virus.

Not a bad one (I think), but still a virus. I had an outdated version of Norton, so I went to the Norton site and downloaded the newest upgrade. I ran a scan, and then it detected it, but said that it couldn't delete it.

It told me that I would have to delete it manually, I'm okay with that. But when it gave me the location of it, I couldn't find it. It was something like..

C:\Documents\Stuart\Temporary Internet files\..

I got to 'Stuart' but there was no ;Temporary Internet; files folder. Can anyone help me with this. I'm not even sure how I got it. No one else uses the computer besides me. I only use it to browse certain websites (Honda-Tech, EBay, Team-Integra and this).

Help!

2. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Go to stuart again, look on the taskbar for a Show All button. if there is no button, its in there somewhere. It will show everything in the folder, including Windows drivers.

3. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

Open internet explorer, if you use it,

Tools/internet options/ and delete cookies, and temp files.

Sounds like you have spyware, of ad ware wich anti virus doesn't consider dangerous.

4. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'm running Win XP. What I have to do is go to the Tools menu in documents, select Folder Options, click the View tab, go down to where it says Show Hidden Files and Folders and check that circle.

Then back under Stuart, it should show a ghostly, now-revealed file called Local Settings. Temp Internet Files is in there.

5. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Yeah, Norton picked up as something like.. Trojan.Adware.Binet or something like that, I looked on their website and they said it wasn't anything to worry about.

What it does, it always prompts me to download something. I'll be playing a game, and it'll minimize the game window and prompt me with the download. Annoying.

6. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Great! I'm also running XP. Thanks a lot guys!!

7. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

8. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

9. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

That would be nice. The thread is already getting messed up and confusing, though, with the usual 'get a hammer' and 'get a Mac' type suggestions. At some point, someone knowledgable (or a group of folks) oughtta get together, edit it, and sticky it as you suggested. For instance, on your part 2, using msconfig startup isn't as cut/dried as it seems. Many programs go by different names there than what you're looking for and it's difficult to know which is which, for the average computer lunkhead.

I just downloaded firefox from your link, maybe I'll check it out later on.

10. SassyChickyMomma

SassyChickyMomma IncGamers Member

also worth mentioning is that sometimes you have to disable your "system restore" so that is does not keep a "copy" of whatever the virus is on your computer. alot of times when i have to manually delete stuff that NAV cannot, i end up having to disable system restore and start in safe mode, delete the junk, restart the pc and then reenable system restore and run the scan again. the most frustrating part of all of it is having to delete registry keys!