Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I have a quick question about the computers used to play Diablo2 d

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by drewby, Jun 15, 2005.

1. drewby

drewby IncGamers Member

I have a quick question about the computers used to play Diablo2

Hey guys I was wondering what kind of computers you guys use and if you currently lag very much in games or anything like that. I have a Hp computer with windows XP and 128mb of ram. I lag alot and i was wondering what you guys think about it. :( I currently hardly play diablo2 because i lag so much and die frequently from it. Thanx. :)

2. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

dual xeon HT 2.66/533, 3GB ram, radeon 9800 pro. even tho i have a pretty high system, i still play in 2d directdraw mode. runs a heck of a lot better, on any system that way.

3. drewby

drewby IncGamers Member

can u tell me how to put in direct draw mode im kind of a moron when it comes to stuff like this. And i was wondering if u think i should buy more RAM for my computer?

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i'm using a dell xp, i'm not smart enough to know anything else though. =O

no serious lag (except from shenk T.T), i'm on a dsl router.

5. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

click Start, programs, diablo ii, Video Test. click skip if you want, and on the next screen click directdraw 2d. click ok, rinse, enjoy.

6. Ado

Ado IncGamers Member

Do u notice any difference in the quality of the graphics in 2d direct draw mode??

7. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Microsoft recommends at least 256 MB of RAM just to run Windows XP. Microsoft suggests 512 MB of RAM to gain optimum Windows XP performance. I suggest at least 1 GB of RAM to really make Windows XP function at "speed limit" although there's really no such thing. But 1 GB of RAM makes all the difference. I know because I've started with 128 all the way up to 1 GB. My machine ran like a Volks now it's like a Porche.

8. BananaPancakes

BananaPancakes IncGamers Member

shenk lags?? u mean the animation wen he dies? sometimes if it gets bad on my comp it lags wen teleporting..

9. ramian

ramian IncGamers Member

I used to run D2 on my old PC which was a PIII 866 w 320Mb RAM. Didn't have a problem then. Now I run it on my laptop P4 1.6 w 512Mb RAM and it runs beautifully. Also run a 2nd copy on the main computer, P4 2.6C w 1Gb RAM and I don't see the difference between that and on my laptop.

Upping your RAM to at least 256 should improve your game I think. But 512 would be best. Considering how cheap RAM is now (I can get the same 1Gb RAM for half the price now than when I bought it a year plus back), you should be able to get back to playing D2.

cheers!

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

D2 is a very old game, so any current system should have no problems.

Currently my desktop is a XP2500+/nForce2 with 1GB RAM, Radeon9600Pro, SBLive 5.1 Player and WinXP. I usually run two copies of D2 concurrently, but D2 doesn't take a lot of CPU at all when iconified, so no problems.

Internet connectivity is through an ADSL line with 3MBit down, 384kBit up and no interleave, but I currently have an almost constant upload of 20KByte/s running (sending lots of files to a friend... and I've capped it at 20K to leave room for D2), in addition to the usual changing downloads without any bad effects.

I never got the traffic shaping to work really well... will need to work on that again, to avoid such manual caps. It's probably one of the most bugged and at the same time least documented parts of the linux kernel...

11. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

D2 really needs lots of RAM. Since I upped from 256MB to 512MB i never had any problems (but I play unter Linux, not unter Win).

*stkrause

12. phool

phool IncGamers Member

There are 3 differentdesktops that I play D2 on (nevermind why...), 2 with XP and 1 with 98. The 7 or 8 year old 98 machine runs loads better (but i formatted hard drive 4 months ago) than the 3 or 4 year old XP machine (The other one is high end and runs unbelievably well, while downloading, with itunes and so on at the same time). With ur ram XP is a bad idea, if u have 98 install it, would work a lot better. IMO XP only has a few advantages (for me, networking) and it's not such a loss.

13. drewby

drewby IncGamers Member

Thanks you guys for all the replys. This has helped me immensely. I have been trying to get RAM off of the internet but due to the dumbass companies I have had some trouble. With all the help from you guys I think I will definitely try to get some RAM. Thanks again fellas. :clap: :thumbsup:

14. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

When I started playing diablo 2, I had 64 mb of ram on a 533mhtz k6-2 running windows 98se. Whenever I think about that now, I cry.

15. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

Whenever I think about Win98, I have a sudden urge to cry, too. :D

*stkrause

16. Singuken

Singuken IncGamers Member

how did ya get d2 running under linux? I tried the install but it couldnt get direct x working.

I'm running it for now on my win2k3 server (dual p2 400mhz, 1gb ram, geforce2 mx400 64mb video and it runs fine.

17. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 runs well with processors and video cards that are crap compared to today's standards eg. voodoo 3 16 mb. On the other hand the game is an extreme RAM hog, 128 mb does not cut it. I upgraded myself to 512 mb of DDR RAM and i never slow down graphically anymore.