Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hate these advertising bots

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by fgh24, Feb 24, 2004.

1. fgh24

fgh24 IncGamers Member

I hate these advertising bots

Is there ne thing u can do to get them banned i have taken screenshots and emailed blizz about them. I cant squelch something that comes in the game and exits over 8 times in 1 baal run. It is getting ridiculous. :rant: O well just my thoughts on the matter ne 1 else think the same?

2. Mcsaladshaker

Mcsaladshaker IncGamers Member

you mean, anyone NOT think the same?

3. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Don't know what you guys are talking about - I just love having my screen covered in spam when I'm running the WSK3 watching out for Iron Maiden - where would the challenge be without the text everywhere :lol:

Seriously It's bad enough with spam from people on my friends list let alone anything else as well - I think I'm just lucky to know enough people on B.net that there is almost always a private game to join these days.

Doesn't hostiling em get rid of them - if not sqelching

Chill

4. hc_ugajeremy

hc_ugajeremy IncGamers Member

Doesn't hostiling em get rid of them - if not sqelching
    -
    Can't hostile a level 1, and unfortunately, can't squelch... I tried all night last night. The same freakin one came in, each time it was unsquelched.

sigh

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Blizzard listened to the hordes of whiners (not condoning ad bots but the push for stopping ad bots was fanatical to say the least) and elimintated ad bots from the channels. This would be swell if the bots didn't do the next best thing (or even better) and went into the games instead. Since it seems that blizzard has given up on d2 (obsessed with WoW), i wouldn't expect ad bots to disappear from public games anytime soon.

6. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

type /squelch accountname or charname.... that might help, and if that doesnt, mail blizz and insult them.

7. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Make the game with minimum lvl requirement of lvl 2...they can't join then.

Prez

8. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Prez I know bout the lvl restriction dependent on the game creator... not sure if your refering to the same thing.

9. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

[rant]grr, i hate them bots about as much as i hate the lil map hacking fruitcakes that tell me how to freeking equip MY char.

my then lvl 38 kickasin was lvling in a normal baal game, she was killing faster than most there with lvl 20 kicks and some [email protected]#$%^& tells me that i nead to get better equipment then procedes to list the most expensive things that isnt even good on a sin as what i should get! argh! ppl are such morons :)
    [/rant]

10. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Um, the advertising bots can join NM games and Hell games now.

Last night was a little flipping annoying because the guy was using COLOR.

And hostiling doesn't work on them, because the will never leave town and the bot maker knew that they wouldn't, so hostiling them will not kick them.

11. IamTheTest

IamTheTest IncGamers Member

fire with fire

Okay, know that this a purely HYPOTHETICAL scenario and I as a poster do not confirm or deny having knowledge of how to, or who to ask to complete such a task. Would it be ethically wrong to DOS (denial of service) attack the websites that these bots belong to as an act of revenge? Just a thought.

12. BtK-radth

BtK-radth IncGamers Member

bar, u cant squelch em...
    somehow the bot makes it so that the chars enter and leave, yet the/squelch command just comes up with "that user is not logged on".
    and yea, try to get everyone to make wit lvl resetrictions in futre.
    also the bot i see most often, howlingyo or something, is lvl 3, fyi.

13. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

I have a question for the forum. Has anyone ever responded to the bots by actually going to their site and purchasing something? Be honest. Because if you haven't, nor anyone that you know hasn't, not even a friend of a friend's friend that hasn't, I cant see the point in anyone wasting their time making a bot in the first place. No supply, no demand.

I almost exclusively play in private games, so I have not seen these unwanted intruders, but I can imagine they really would suck if you were in a scary spot and all of a sudden couldnt see the screen because of their spam. But I sure do remember them from the chat rooms. Somebody must be feeding these trolls. I just wonder who it is...

I do like the idea though, of creating games with a lower level restriction of 2. That would seem to work.

14. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Yep... charname howlingyo, accountname *laggy99, lvl 3 Barb.

He seems to default enter games with only more than 1 or 2 people, because at odd hours when there's only one multiplayer hell game up he'll enter about 10 times in a row....

15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk IncGamers Member

Don't forget you can press n; it will remove all text from the screen.. This comes in handy if you are in a scary spot.

-Sparrow

btw. I also hate the bots!

16. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

"Prez I know bout the lvl restriction dependent on the game creator... not sure if your refering to the same thing."

So, setting lvl restriction at 4 (for example) would mean the creating character sets lvl restriction to it's (own level) - 5. Anyway, most public games one joins does not use lvl restrictions, so this would only be of use if one makes a public game.

17. fgh24

fgh24 IncGamers Member

well thx guys for the info. yeah "n" does help but i squelching is a pain when the enter and leave over 10 times a game, o well blizz doesnt really care about d2 ne more Wow has taken over all, I guess I will just deal with it and make more private games thx for all the feedback.

18. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

is that /n? or just plain 'n'?

19. Stormrider86

Stormrider86 IncGamers Member

Just hit "n" without the text box open and it will clear the screen for you, very nice when in a hairy situation with these stupid bots filling the screen. :thumbsup:

20. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

Cool, thanks for the tip ^^