Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hate public trading bastards

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Shm0, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Shm0

Shm0 IncGamers Member

I hate public trading bastards

I jsut traded a leviathon for what i thought was an isted hoz, too bad i wasnt payign attention and it turned into a garbage nothing shield. I hate you battlenet assholes, i hate you so much.

2. wedoz

wedoz IncGamers Member

pulled the ol' switcheroo on ya eh?

had that happen to me way way way way back in 09. was trading for a gul dagger. forgot what i traded off. anyways it comes out he has no room. fair enough, he "fixes" and we trade again...i not bothering to look at the new item in the window. a plain old dagger. yep. didn't notice it until 10 minutes later. went into a trade channel and said his acct name and said he was giving away a free something or other. don't know how many people /w'ed him (hope it was alot :rant: ).

never fell for that one again.

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I find your lack of tack distasteful. In spite of what happened to you, there is no excuse for using language like that, particularly in a thread title. Little kids read these forums and when potty-mouths are allowed to flourish here, it reflects poorly not only on the community, but on Elly, Flux, Rushster, Gaile and everyone who has a hand in operating this site. Use the edit function and clean up your language.

On topic, I'm sorry this happened to you. There is word of the existence of a hack that allows a cheater to switch items in the trade window a split second before the trade goes through. I've not seen it for myself so I cannot confirm that it exists, but I've heard about it repeatedly. This is possibly what happened to you.

You might be able to protect yourself by confining your trading to the trade forums on this site. There is no guarantee that you will never be ripped off again, but the majority of people who trade here are fair and trustworthy.

4. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Yes there seems to be. Several people yesteday have been trying to rip me off like that, but luckily they are very predictable. I've posted in a different thread a warning already. So far my worst experiences are with trading for a Shako, this is the scam item number 1.

How to recognize a scammer?
    First of all scammers are too eager to trade with you. They usually offer an item that is worth too much or just too good to be true (be especially warned when they show a WF and say "trade for this?"). Or they offer the item you want, but immediately flood your screen with "Trade, k?"

Secondly, they have a tendency to pick up and drop the item in the trade window repeatedly. They do this most likely to turn the trade button red and giving them time to switch the item when the moment of the trade nears. They do this also to distract you.

Thirdly, they usually ask if they should add something, like a crappy a rune. Again this is done to draw your attention away from the item that is soon to be switched for useless junk.

Finally, a scammer never makes social conversation with you during the trade. All he is after is getting your item as quickly as possible, and flee the game.

What to do?
    First of all, I highly advice against pressing that accept button first because you never know how quickly the scammer can switch the item. If the other guy does not press the button first, check the item several times again before accepting the trade and/or ask him to accept first. This might however turn the other side suspicious of you.

Secondly, if the scammer/trader has pressed the accept button before you, ALWAYS check the item he offers in his trade window. I repeat: ALWAYS check the item again and make certain it is what you are trading for.

Finally, when trading people have a tendency to become eager, this is what scammers are after, and this is why they succeed time and time again. Try not to be too eager to make the trade. Especially not when it seems to good to be true, because in that case it is most likely too good to be true. Be calm, and remember if the trade fails, or you don't feel comfortable with the trade. Just say ok sorry no deal. Because seriously there still is decent people out there who don't want to scame you. Try to find those and trade with them.

5. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Long story short: Assume that anyone you are trading with will go to any lenght to screw you over, because, most of the time, they will try. If only there was a way to punish scammers then maybe you could trade with someone without spending 5 mins making sure they arn't going to swap the tal rashas armour with a rattlecage.

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

As previously mentioned - trading with the forum traders is the best option you can get . Ive made many trades here and not once have I been ripped off . And usually a nice person will throw something in just for the good trade - ie - my mules are full - here take this too and thankyou very much for the trade ..

Bnet channel trading is just pure luck and insults - Wug nOOB - insert favorite insult here - no trade I need l337 itemz you nOOb , after 20 -30 minutes of wasted time ... you make the call ..

7. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Good trade advice Dem

And agreed - just started trading w/ forum peeps here and everyone is a pleasure to trade w/.

I hate the constant feeling of suspicion I have for anyone I trade w/ in public...wether a decent person or not, I don't know, and always expect a scam attempt.

As far as language here, put in a word filter - simple!

8. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

:clap: Ditto :clap:

9. Shm0

Shm0 IncGamers Member

i apologize about the title i can t seem to edit it i suppsoe to much time has passed. I think i will start using the trade forums, and yeah sorry again aobut the title if a mod coudl chang eit i *** appreciate it.

10. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It's okay Shm0, you logged off right before I posted so I knew you weren't going to be able to fix it. The editing ability only exists for a limited duration. I just wanted to point out to you to watch your language for the sake of the little kids. I wasn't offended by it personally. :)

Oh yeah, and great post Daemonaz!