Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hate my WW barb now, stupid D2X

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by summerkc, Mar 24, 2004.

1. summerkc

summerkc IncGamers Member

I hate my WW barb now, stupid D2X

I upgraded to D2X about a week ago, and before I was having a lot of fun being a WW barb and had just started hell difficulty. After I upgraded I had to finish act 5 in normal. That wasn't much of a problem. Then I got to nightmare act 5 and was getting totally distroyed. I'm talking about going into outside of the barb camp and fighting 4 or 5 enemies and having to go back to town to refill my pots.

So far I have finished the first 2 quests but still get my butt kicked. What am I doing wrong? My barb is a level 55 and it is a 2h sword WW, sometimes 1h with a shield.

Also, it seems like before I upgraded I could control the direction of the WW, like sweeping AROUND enemy groups. Now it just goes back in forth in straight lines. Any tips?

2. Phantasy

Phantasy IncGamers Member

With upgrade to D2X comes greater responsibilty...lolz. I suggest trading around for LOD items that can handle the harsh atmosphere of nightmare and hell in Act5 now. Or wait for free games, some pretty good items can be found =). You need to find enhanced defense items, high resist items, and any other modifier items (like +skills) you can find as a back up. I suggest remaking your barb with one of the builds in this forum, it will save you more time in the long run. You can specialize with synenergies now and that really helps. make some friends online and get some rushes and items =).

3. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Whirlwind is extremely, EXTREMELY item dependent, so if you don't have a really great weapon and decent leech, you're going to have a very hard time with it. Likewise, you may be using a low range sword, and not hitting any of the breakpoints, both of which determine hits-per-whirl.

Anyways, Whirl has always traveled in a straight line. If you hold the button down and all, he just starts again right after he finishes, which kinda lets you "drive" him. Best bet is to get a nice, high-range weapon, and start practicing triangulating your whirls so you trim around the outside of packs; barreling through the middle isn't going to do you much good.

-Hal

4. summerkc

I have two swords with about 11% life leech and 8% mana leech each, and damage is around 15-40 each. I have full resistances except 60% poison resistance.

I think the thing that I hate the most is that some creatures are immune to leech. I personlly think blizzard is screwing the barb since he is on the front lines and gets hit by darn near everything. He needs that leech just to survive.

I think the barb is one of the weakest charecters in the expansion, just because you have to fight each monster individually and upclose, unlike the others that have range attacks and/or minions that do the dirty work for you.

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

15-40 damage? Am I reading this right? You've got to be kidding. o_O

I use dual Doombringer on mine, and he does okay damage, that's 114-289 damage each. Barbs are still good, you just can't rush in like you always do in classic and expect to come out in one piece.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

before you write off barbs, try improving your weps. nm lazruk should sell something decent, try getting at least 100 max damage.

leeching: try raising damage first. low damage will result is zero leech. skeleton types also don't leech.

ww'ing: from what you are saying, it sounds like you are clicking on a mob. this will stop it at the end. click on an open patch of ground. that will allow you to move the mouse around and control the ww. however, raise your damage first or you will not have enough leech for this.

7. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

Yeah, you can't use doombringers yet because you are only 55 and you need to be 69 for those, but you could get hexfire (60-100) and/or plaguebearer (37-152 +300 poison) and do much better. Those aren't too hard to find/trade for either. You'll need to make up for leech in your rings/ammy, though. Tripple skulled swords aren't going to carry you too far in d2x.

Yeah, the barb has been nerfed. Heck, I died 3 times yesterday to iron maiden in the chaos sanctuary and doing a Baal run. And my conc barb is lvl 86 and has an eth botd cb and some other godly gear on him. All the same, it's still really fun. Though I wouldn't really suggest doing hardcore with one. And yeah, I was being a little careless. :)

8. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Well...you can make an effective whirler without extremely uber gear....but you will HAVE TO gear up on the crushing blow. I have a smiter in nm and his damage blows (300-400) but has like 60% crushing blow and he does fine...Without the cb he'd be dead...fer sure

9. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

IMHO reaching whirl breakpoints is more important than damage, if damage is only slighty lower.
    Whirl counts IAS only in the WEAPON, so ignore IAS from gloves and equipment and go get other useful mods instead... but
    for Whirl to reach final breakpoint and deal hits at maximum speed, you need
    for 2 hnd -60 WIAS+IAS in the weapon
    for 1 hnd -35 WIAS+IAS in the weapon
    Example
    Fury colossus blade was before a popular weapon for whirl cuz it has the exact speed for final breakpoint
    CB speed is 5, fury runeword gives -40 IAS, 5 - 40 = -35.

10. johny

johny IncGamers Member

i'd say that you'd better runbaal in NM until you reach lvl70, then you can try to play in hell.

hell is much more difficult than NM.

11. summerkc

15-40 is the base damage for the sword, with WW (lvl 10) each sword's damage is 70-200 with 11% leech. I guess I do need some better swords, I would just like to be able to play the game and not have to try to trade for them. I don't like to trade for my equipment, I'd rather find it on my own. Sometimes it feels like cheating to me. I guess I'll have to though since blizzard is being so unfair to barbs in the expansion. I don't really see how they think the charecters are balanced, but the other charecters just don't really interest me.

But I'll stop b1tchin now.

12. Superhal

that is what i use to get through normal. i have 800-1.5k total in nm.

you are missing quite a bit of info, not just classic to xpac.

1. there is a drain factor that affects leech.
    2. mobs have phys dam reduce.
    3. mobs have more hps and are harder to hit.

as far as i know, there's no faq for all the differences, but basically, you'll have to forget everything you knew and start all over. the strat compendium here is a good place to start.

13. l2aider1

l2aider1 IncGamers Member

I feel your pain man. When I was on west back in classic days and lod came out I had my pimp maul barb with dual leech rings and 897 ornates and I did normal no problem, and I got to nm act 5 and I'm like WTF my 300+ dmg maul was hardly doing any dmg, I wasn't leeching enough life back and gernerally getting kicked around in nm and this is after owning in hell classic. So yeah I feel yah, but the real problem is that lod increased dmg and hitpoints of everything making it nearly 3x harder then before. Which means that your gear is just not cutting it anymore, and you must get some new weapons.

14. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

SummerKC,

Try to shop a bit for 2 Bloodletters, even when they aren't perfect they should be a MAJOR improvement. Solve your Mana Leech with a decent Manald Heal for now. If you're on Europe I could have a peek for a spare Bloodletter of two.

it's stats can be found here:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/uswords.shtml

Also do not underestimate the power of a shield.

And lastly...2 major differences from 1.09 to 1.10.

Defense is important, as is Attack Rating. (high = good)

15. Superhal

ack bloodletter. range is 1. it stinks now. however, i found it useful when paired with a decent 2nd wep. i used a passion dimensional blade: dol, ort, eld, lem. the pair carried me until i could wield my crescent moon legend swords.

16. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Ack all you will but it's infinitely better than what he's currently carrying.

Al least it will carry him through the rest of NM and quite some way into Hell.

Maybe I can spare a Crainte Vomir aswell....ehm... all non-ladder btw.

17. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Are you still reading this ?

18. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Which begs the question: What is the best unique weapon (including upgrades) for WW usable with a shield ? All the 1H axes seem better than the swords. I see highest damage at 3rd breakpoint as the most important stat

1. Death Cleaver. Range 3 3rd breakpoint.
    2. Rune Master. Range 2 3rd
    3. Cranebeak. Range 2 3rd
    4. Razor's Edge. Range 1 3rd
    5. Upgraded Crainte Vomir. Range 3 3rd breakpoint
    6. Upgraded Coldsteel Eye. Range 1 3rd breakpoint
    7. Frostwind. Range 3 3rd breakpoint
    8. Azurewrath. Range 2 3rd breakpoint
    9. Lightsabre. Range 2 3rd breakpoint
    10. Djinn Slayer. Range 1 3rd breakpoint.

19. summerkc

Thanks for all the input, but I got so fed up with it I basically ditched that barb and started over and made a concentrate barb.

With my luck blizzard will release a patch next week that makes the concentrate barb useless!

20. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Rest assured....with any luck will your grandchildren will see 1.11 being released. ;-)

You still never mentioned what server you're on...and ladder/non-ladder, SC/HC. My offer still stands. I could also spare you a Rixot's Keen (unique short sword, required lvl: 2)....if you want it.