Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I hate local politics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Merick, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I hate local politics

There are these guys running for congress in my state, Ben Nelson, and Pete Rickets. They're both major knobs. For the last maybe 4 months they've been spamming commercials during my precious Jeopardy!.* These ads are very vitrolic and ridiculous. It's funny how they both mention that the other is a millionaire in a way that makes it sound like all millionaires kick puppies.

This latest ad though, is way beyond obnoxious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rGDemgCt-k

Is it this bad in every state with a congressional election this year? Do they have political ads like this in other countries?

*That's right, an exclamation followed by a period.

2. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

Where I live the ads are just as vitrolic, but far less entertaining.

3. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

*cough* vitriolic *cough*

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I wish our political ads were that entertaining.

At least you know the names of your local candidates.

I believe that's called interroforeplay.

5. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

we have some great political ads here too...hell, I make a lot of them that play on the radio.
    It's pretty fun.

6. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Oh God, tell me about it.

There are a bunch of political ads on TV right now in Florida, and the level of stupidity in them is ridiculous.

Political Ad Drinking Game:

1. Whenever an ad accuses their political opposition of being a "liberal" or a "conservative", as if that simple label explains everything you need to know to make a decision, take a drink.

2. Any time a still photo of the political opposition is shown, to be followed by a full-motion video clip of the endorsed candidate, take a drink.

2a. If the still photo is ominously displayed in black and white, take another drink.

2b. If the picture of the political opposition cues sinister music, only to switch to an uplifting score when the endorsed party appears, take a another drink.

2c. If the endorsed party is shaking someone's hand confidently in the video, take a third drink.

4. If a US flag waves in the background at any point during the ad, take two drinks, and try to stay calm.

5. If the words "will fight for YOU!" appear anywhere in the ad, take a drink.

6. If you feel like taking a shower after viewing the commercial, you aren't alone. Feel free to guzzle.

7. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

All of the political ads I ever see basicly follow this format:
    -The other guy is a jerk, and here's why!
    -"I am <endorsed candidate, and I approve this message."

They give NO information whatsoever about the endorsed candidate...

EDIT: Just saw another commercial that basicly went "The other guy acts like Bush! I am <endorsed candidate>, and I approve this message :D"

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Policies are for sissies.

9. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Haha, I never realized how often I see that before. Ben likes to play a loop of Pete shaking his head in slow motion and looking confused.

10. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

Every party running for election in this country (UK) is given a set amount of time they are allowed to advertise on television (a couple of five minute adverts iirc). All ads are national (no regional candidates). They are also highlighted in the television schedules so you can avoid them :thumbsup:

There was a dreadful one with Brown and Blair that played out like two lovers reminiscing about their time together.

Not that the system goes down well over here. Everyone thinks parties such as the BNP shouldn't be allowed their adverts because everyone has it in their heads that the party is fascist (more like communist, but whatever...). So you have people on the television complaining that they're 'outraged that these racist xenophobes are given air time to spout their vitriolic hatred' etc. Happens every election :duh:

11. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, #2 and it's additions basically sum up every political ad.

The funny (or unfunny) part is, it's so blatant that I'm not sure whether to be angry because they are insulting my intelligence, or saddened because I know it probably works on a large percentage of voters.
    Irony . . . overwhelming . . .

"If we don't try our damndest to squelch their freedom of speech, they might take away our rights!"

You sure they aren't related to Bush? :laugh:

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Freedom of speech is unpopular, taking it away = MEGA VOTER KUDOS!

Luckily Australia has a Bill of Rights. Wait a minute...

13. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Political ads are banned from TV here. I don't know exactly why, but I guess it has something to do with the fact that some parties here are insanely rich while others have no money at all. That and wanting to stop elections from turning into mud slinging facres.

I saw a really stupid commercial at the movies this summer. The social democrats and the moderates (hard neo-lib) were portrayed as Romeo and Juliet in a divided city. Extremely confusing. The only way to interpret it was that the social democrats wanted a coalition with the right but was hindered by its family, which would be either the parties supporting them in parliament or the voters. I'm 100% certain that's not what they were trying to say but that really is the only possible interpretation. When I first saw it I thought it was paid for by the right up until the moment when they announced the sender. Then I went, "WHAT THE ****!?"