I hate asking noob questions, but...

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
I hate asking noob questions, but...

Is there a way of backtracking to v1.10 without having to reinstall D2 completely? I'm in a mood for an old mod that was discontinued before 1.11 came around, but I can't play it until i get 1.10 back.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
AFAIK you can't downgrade. However, you can rename the original installation directory which allows you to install the game a second time, to be patched up to 1.10 then. Just can't connect to bnet with the 1.10 version, as that will cause an automatic upgrade to 1.11.

It will cost you a gig of HD space or so, but some HDs already cost less than 30 cents per gig and prices will probably continue to go down.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
AFAIK you can't downgrade. However, you can rename the original installation directory which allows you to install the game a second time, to be patched up to 1.10 then. Just can't connect to bnet with the 1.10 version, as that will cause an automatic upgrade to 1.11.
Terrible news indeed! I'm at work and don't have the other CDs. Thanks for the help, though, it's always appreciated.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
It would theoretically be possible to downgrade assuming you replace the correct files with 1.10 versions. This will still require a source of those files though. I remember ages ago there was a program that allowed you to quickly switch between 1.10, 1.09 and 1.07, as it simply stored their respective files into seperate folders.

I'm not completely certain that it's legal on these forums, though I don't really see why it wouldn't be. That said, I cannot really remember the name anyway, but I believe it was something like trenshadow, or transhadow, or of the like. It's basically a version switching program of some sort.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Orphan's right, it's Trenshadow's Version Switcher. Have a look around in the SPF stickies and you should find it. I've never used it myself but apparently it's pretty good.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
It would theoretically be possible to downgrade assuming you replace the correct files with 1.10 versions. This will still require a source of those files though. I remember ages ago there was a program that allowed you to quickly switch between 1.10, 1.09 and 1.07, as it simply stored their respective files into seperate folders.

I'm not completely certain that it's legal on these forums, though I don't really see why it wouldn't be. That said, I cannot really remember the name anyway, but I believe it was something like trenshadow, or transhadow, or of the like. It's basically a version switching program of some sort.
I'm just speculating, but I doubt that files are replaced on an upgrade, i.e. an old one gets deleted and the new one is extracted from the patch archive. I rather think the files are patched, i.e. the archive has information like "At position A, delete X bytes. At position B, insert the following...".

To prevent future problems, you can create the game, make a copy of the game directory, apply the oldest patch, make another copy, apply the next patch etc. until you through all patches. Then create icons which refer to the game files in the appropriate directories and the problem is solved, without using any dubious third party software.

As already said, never connect to bnet with the older versions.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm just speculating, but I doubt that files are replaced on an upgrade, i.e. an old one gets deleted and the new one is extracted from the patch archive.
What actually happens during a patch upgrade probably isn't important here. If I had to speculate, I'd probably say that they might overwrite updated files, as I suspect it might be easier to simply redistribute any changed data or library files, than to append/edit any change. As a simple example, having added the uber's into 1.11's monstats, it would be easier to re-insert the new monstats.txt into the mpq file, rather than append the new line entries into the existing monstats. This would especially make sense for dll or exe changes, because they can be a pain to modify after compiling.

Still, having a 1.10 and 1.10 version of patch_d2.mpq for example would still be valid, if you were prepared to seperate the files into identifiable directories. The problem would come in determining which files should be backed up. Someone who has actually dealt in modding more than I have would probably know this, but I've never really bothered to follow this information.

Not all of the files would be required to have 1.10 versions of in order to switch between patches. Off the top of my head, you would probably need d2data.mpq, patch_d2.mpq and -possibly- D2Common.dll (I don't know all of the functions stored in there, so I can't really comment for certain). Speech and video would probably remain the same between the two versions so you wouldn't need to switch out those. This list is by no means complete, because as I've indicate above I don't really follow the complete changes with each patch.

I generally avoid third party programs too, and I'm not about to advocate trenshadow either as I've only used it once ages ago (probably back when 1.10 first came out). Still, if it appears that the single player community has used it before, then it might be a feasible option. Of course having seperate installations for the patches you want is a completely safer option though.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I think there's nothing to add when you say that replacing the new files by the old files will restore the old version (which sounds rather obvious), so I concentrated on something else. But I guess we start nitpicking at this point. :azn:

The original question seems to be, can you downgrade if all you have is a version 1.11 installation and no game CDs. The answer is: No.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Any chars you have in 1.11 will be unusable in 1.10, I'm pretty sure. Why did you want to go down to 1.10 anyway?

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
atma might be able to rebuild your chars
make a new 1.10 char and drop your items in, youll have to re level but atleast you can reuse some of your gear