I got ripped-off!

jrlafrance

Diabloii.Net Member
I got ripped-off!

Questing my Meteorb and killed NM Baal early this morning! That's the good part! Here's the bad part...

EDIT: Sorry about the bad screen shot...bottom line is 5 blue, and 1 yellow item. :mad:

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I though that the first act-boss kill gives at least rare quality items, not magic. Is it possible that these blue items are all failed set items?

DjSlayer

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
I though that the first act-boss kill gives at least rare quality items, not magic. Is it possible that these blue items are all failed set items?
A failed set item gives a rare with double durability.

- D.J.

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
DjSlayer said:

- D.J.
Thought it was a magic item with double durabiliity, and a failed unique gives a triple durability rare? Like the triple durability rare thresher I got from a weapon rack today. :(

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
DjSlayer said:

- D.J.
You are not right. I am sure failed set item is double durability magic item. I got numerous failed sets - I almost allways check items from TC87 if they are not failed - got a double durability magic Berserker Axe for example.

Dodgydave

Diabloii.Net Member
If it's 5 blues then you got an incredibly lucky drop in terms of quality, since they all had the potential to be set items. Unfortunately you lucked out in terms of the base item type. That is there are no set items corresponding to the base items. (I didn't check the screenie I have very slow dial up. :( )

Hell Baal today dropped a failed set Collossus Sword for me on his quest drop - that hurt. :D

adeadrat

Diabloii.Net Member
Dodgydave said:
If it's 5 blues then you got an incredibly lucky drop in terms of quality, since they all had the potential to be set items. Unfortunately you lucked out in terms of the base item type. That is there are no set items corresponding to the base items. (I didn't check the screenie I have very slow dial up. :( )

Hell Baal today dropped a failed set Collossus Sword for me on his quest drop - that hurt. :D
how? hell baal can drop all items in the game. a set colossus sword would be bul-kathos set iirc.

Nacaa

Diabloii.Net Member
adeadrat said:
how? hell baal can drop all items in the game. a set colossus sword would be bul-kathos set iirc.
Colussus Blade :p

And yea, it's double durability magical items that are failed sets.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Uh, yeah, that's like 5 potential set items you had there. On the bows / xbows you couldn't check but you could have checked the others. That's why people often think baal sucks: He gives you a lot of blue items and they don't realise half of them are failed set items...

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Uh, yeah, that's like 5 potential set items you had there. On the bows / xbows you couldn't check but you could have checked the others. That's why people often think baal sucks: He gives you a lot of blue items and they don't realise half of them are failed set items...
Uhhhhhh .... that's exactly why Baal sucks NF. :thumbsup:

Failed set items still sucks in my books last time I checked.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
That didn't make any sense, Bill. :p Think about it... I have to run baal several times to get a blue item that's not a failed set. So when he gives me the right item type I'm basically guaranteed that it's gonna be at least a set or better. I consider that a good thing.

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
That didn't make any sense, Bill. :p Think about it... I have to run baal several times to get a blue item that's not a failed set. So when he gives me the right item type I'm basically guaranteed that it's gonna be at least a set or better. I consider that a good thing.

Sure it makes sense. The way I see it, Baal drops terrible for me - so, whether a failed set etc .. doesn't matter because I want the "non-failure". If and when I get the "non-failure" i'll agree with you wholeheartedly.

Baal may get an "A" for effort but for results he fails miserably, for me.

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
adeadrat said:
Well, a monster may be able to drop a certain item, but the failure is not necessarily due to there not being a set item to create; in this case, it is due to not having enough MF on that particular run; Baal can drop BK sword, but since the MF was too low, you get the failed set.

Steve

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Crudesash68 said:
Well, a monster may be able to drop a certain item, but the failure is not necessarily due to there not being a set item to create; in this case, it is due to not having enough MF on that particular run; Baal can drop BK sword, but since the MF was too low, you get the failed set.

Steve
MF only determines the "quality", a failed set means that it would be a set if not for the following reasons (except 3, which only applies to uniques).

The failures actually occur because:

1. There is no set/unique version of that item, there is no set colossus sword.

2. The item's qlvl is higher than the monster's mlvl, classic example is Pindleskin and Azurewrath, or in my case yesterday, Arachnid Mesh.

3. The unique item has been dropped elsewhere during that same game.

Gnoggen

Diabloii.Net Member
adeadrat said:
I know this is off topic to this thread, but adeadrat - your 7-up avatar just made me giggle. :)

Tarr

Diabloii.Net Member
Summoned said:
3. The unique item has been dropped elsewhere during that same game.
Your first two points are right. Baal will only drop a failed set item if there's no set item of the type of item rolled. MF plays no part, a set is a set is a set. This is wrong though, it hasn't been this way since early days of classic IIRC.

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Tarr said:
Your first two points are right. Baal will only drop a failed set item if there's no set item of the type of item rolled. MF plays no part, a set is a set is a set. This is wrong though, it hasn't been this way since early days of classic IIRC.
I'm sure I'm right about this one. ;) The only time that 2 of the same unique can drop in 1 game is if they're dropped by the same monster. Otherwise, the other one is a failed unique.

But very few of us get a chance to witness it happening in-game because we usually run the same monster(s) over and over again. If you play through the entire hell difficulty with a character that has a bit of magic find, you may be able to see those failed uniques from one or more act bosses.