Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I got corrupted :(

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by barren, Oct 1, 2006.

1. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I got corrupted :(

There I was minding my own business, happily plowing through hell mode with my latest mfer, a cookie cutter blizzballer and I decided it was time to mule off some stuff and beef up my merc. When I save and exit I hit alt+tab then my computer freezes. Poop.

I restart, go back to logon and notice my blizzballer is nowhere to be seen. Curious I try and open up the character file with atma and sure enough it's corrupt. I've got no backups :( It sucks but i'll get over it, I've got half a dozen other mf sorc and the gear didn't dent my bank. I'm just amazed you can lose a character if your d2 happens to crash during or right after you save and exit.

So let this be a warning to everyone, backup everything! Cause you never know.

2. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

You should have backups.

ATMA will have created them in your default D2 save folder.

ATMA will have named them <character>_?.org

Just delete the d2s file, and rename the most recently created .org file to become the <character>.d2s

Example in your C:\Program Files\Diablo II\save folder:
    Code:
    Ineluki.d2s     3kb      D2S File  30/09/2006 16:28
    Ineluki.ma2      271kb   MA2 File 30/09/2006 16:22
    Ineluki_1.org    3kb      ORG File 30/09/2006  16:21
    Ineluki_2.org    3kb      ORG File 30/09/2006  14:04 

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I back up all of my characters and stashes in a copy of the save folder. And onto my second hard drive.:grin: And onto a USB flash device. :shocked: Perhaps I am too cautious?:undecided:

4. nex

nex IncGamers Member

My backups are on 2nd partition, CD-ROM and hard drive of 2nd PC :cool:

5. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

Your backups should be there barren check your d2 folder again. Otherwise if you did lose your character thats just plain bad luck :(.

6. mr hamster

mr hamster IncGamers Member

Could characters be transferred between computers also? Because I am getting a new computer and want to know if i'll be able to play with the same characters on that new computer...

7. barren

barren IncGamers Member

oh, I forgot about that! Thanks a bunch!

8. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

You should be able to. I just burned the Save folder to a CD on my old Mac, and then copied it to my new Mac when I got it, putting it where the Save folder would be in the Diablo II installation in the new computer. Make sure you haven't any new characters you made with your new computer, though, or they will be overwritten by the copied folder. If you have 2 separate Save folders of characters, you can combine them by copying the old ones to the new folder (as long as none of them have the same name). Also, make sure you update Diablo II when you install it on the new computer, or it may not recognize your old characters, if they were made at a higher patch level.

Jude

9. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Unfortunately there is a big chance for the files to get corrupted if you crash while the computer is saving them, because partial save info is written to the files. Lucky for ATMA default auto-backup. :azn:

10. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

One thing that is worth mentioning is that you can move characters from Mac to PC and vice versa with no problem as well. Just copy the .d2s file to a USB keychain device or email them to yourself and then put the .d2s file in the Save directory on the other computer and you are good to go. For some reason, the map files don't seem to transfer from PC to Mac or vice versa. The actual map will be the same (assuming you start in the same difficulty as before) but your drawing of the map won't be there. Of course, if you remember the layout, it will all seem familar as it is revealed to you.