Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I got ancient quest without meeting them ?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by zeskelnec, Jun 10, 2005.

1. zeskelnec

zeskelnec IncGamers Member

I got ancient quest without meeting them ?

HI,
    I don't understand, I joined on realms and needed to meet the ancients in nightmare. While in Harrogath to adjust my gear and fill my belt, the other players were too fast and killed the ancients.
    I got the quest and 1 lvl up. It was in a way easy but frustrating. My trapsin in solo burnt Baal 10 min later without even loosing her merc and ShadM.

I thought one needed to be present near boss' death to get the reward?
    Any hint?

2. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Nope. You just need to be partied with those that kill the ancients AND of cource atleast one of them shouldnt have the quest solved before going up against ancients.

You dont need to be present to get the quest solved...

Hope I was clear enough :)

I am told this should work for all acts except act 4 but Im not sure...

3. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Of course this works for act 4.

4. pncwd

pncwd IncGamers Member

No you or at least your body has to be in the chaos area to get the d quest.
    All other quest as long as you are partied with a person that has not yet got the quest and is present in the quest area you will get it as well.

5. ebyworx

ebyworx IncGamers Member

as long as you are partied with someone who gets the quest you can stay in town and you will get the quest also, act IV or any act. The only quests where you need to go into the area are in AIII to go into the red portal, and to get the skill book from Radament.

6. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

To stress it again: in order to get a quest, someone who needs the quest must be in the vicinity, which is automatically the case for certain quests (releasing Cain, smashing claw viper altar, smashing soulstone --- these things can only be done by someone who needs the quest. I'm not entirely sure about Duriel/Tyrael; I always leave it to the questers to talk to Tyrael).
    *Anyone*, in the same party, anywhere in the *same* act who hasn't gotten the quest yet will get it as well --- so be careful about your soulstone quest.

In order to get to A4 you need to go through the red portal --- which means you have to be able to get into Durance, which in turns means you must get the Travincal quest. This is the only case where you can't just go kill the act boss without doing any other quests.
    This is *not* the case with the baal quest --- there is a portal which you can't reach if you didh't get the ancients quest, but if you just leave the game it has the same effect: you will finish the difficulty level.

The cow "quest" is slightly different --- it depends on who kills the king ("first kill" rule); just watching doesn't do anything, and being partied or not doesn't matter.

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

If you haven't killed the king, and someone else, who have not killed the king either kills him in your party, you'll get credit for the kill too.

8. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Except it's doesn't matter if you're partied or not.

Anyone in the cow lvl at the time the king dies will get credit for killing the king if it's a first time killer.

9. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

There are a few vicinity quests. The ones off the top of my head are Blood Raven and Saving the Barbs in FH. I get "quest cannot be completed this game" if I'm not with my party when they complete those.

10. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Just yesterday I got the Blood Raven quest when I was in the Den of Evil. Got my merc from it.

11. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I know for a fact it doesn't work when your in town, unless I had a stroke of bad luck or was on the recieiving end of some kind of glitch

12. zeskelnec

Then for the cows

Hey thanks to all for your numerous answers.
    I have another one.
    In SOLO, Can one of my character open the cow level, then I switch to another character who kills the king....I guess none of them is credited for the "quest" so I can do endless cow runs , hum?
    I might have read something saying you need to open and kill the king to get credited of cows.

13. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

It doesn't matter who opens the portal or creates the game; all that matters is whether the one killing the king is a "first kill". Nothing else matters.

You can still do it; especially in single player, since you can have any number of games with just one CD key. So you can make a cow opener who never kills the king, and use him to open the portal for the play character.

I do this on bnet; just to be on the very safe side I always kill the king with the playchar first in a game without the opener present. After that I use the opener to make the portal, and leave him in the game to up the player count.

14. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

The Travincial quest is a toughie to rush - as in hell the Hydras annihilate your merc, and the char being rushed (as far as I can tell) HAS to be in the main altar area...leading to frustration and multiple deaths! So that's one you won't get from standing in town!

15. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

or you can just run to the council, get killed, and then not press anything. Just sit there staring at your dead body. You still count as being present, so you get the quest.

(Of course, don't do this in hardcore.)

16. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

LOL! :clap:

Are you sure about that? (I mean - leaving your body like in the Diablo Quest) I have a heckuva time with the Hell Trav and my light sorc - so leaving my rushee's body would be a real advantage!

17. zeskelnec

Sorry, how can you open a portal on bnet, and enter the game with another character leaving the opener in the game ??