I found a Gul Rune...

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
I found a Gul Rune...

...and I don't know what to do with it. It dropped from the Hellforge - is this a good drop? What's the highest/best rune that can drop from the Forge? What's a Gul worth? What should I do with it?

I have a lot of questions, does anyone have the answers?

EDIT: it's on USEast Ladder.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Gul is the highest from the forge. If you're on ladder, get another and make vex. Or there's some sort of fancy ladder-only runeword you can make. Non-ladder, it's garbage and worth about a hel.

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, so does anyone have any other options for me other than to try to find another one for an upgrade? I don't want to try to trade for one, as I'm scared of dupes [I don't really know anything about them other than they disappear after a while - anyone care to explain?]. Are Guls really useless otherwise?

Cooked

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometimes you can get another Gul rune cheap from someone who feels they might not get another before the ladder ends and make a Vex that way.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Kid A said:
Alright, so does anyone have any other options for me other than to try to find another one for an upgrade? I don't want to try to trade for one, as I'm scared of dupes [I don't really know anything about them other than they disappear after a while - anyone care to explain?]. Are Guls really useless otherwise?
I wouldn't really worry about Gul runes. It seems hardly anyone dupes them (at least on West). I mean, I've had lots of Guls over the years and none has ever poofed.

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
I wouldn't really worry about Gul runes. It seems hardly anyone dupes them (at least on West). I mean, I've had lots of Guls over the years and none has ever poofed.
OK but, hypothetically speaking, if I were to aquire a Gul and it turned out to be duped - would the resulting Vex rune ever "poof"?

Are any of the runewords that use Gul any good? Is it perhaps worth saving for the next patch in case Blizzard makes a good Gul-requiring runeword?

Thanks for the replies everyone...

As an aside, WTF is duping and why is it so wide spread? Is there a way to recognize them (I'd assume no)?

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Kid A said:
Are any of the runewords that use Gul any good?
Fury, Kingslayer, and Death are the notable ones. Fury and Kingslayer are both pretty decent for certain builds, and Death is a fantastic weapon.

*I didn't mention the paladin armor, which also uses Gul, because it's on the verge of useless.

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
Fury, Kingslayer, and Death are the notable ones. Fury and Kingslayer are both pretty decent for certain builds, and Death is a fantastic weapon.

*I didn't mention the paladin armor, which also uses Gul, because it's on the verge of useless.
So which Runeword should I make? What are some good items to socket with them, and should I be doing this instead of trying to upgrade the Gul?

(I still want to know if the resulting Vex could dissapear - does anyone know?)

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Kid A said:
So which Runeword should I make? What are some good items to socket with them, and should I be doing this instead of trying to upgrade the Gul?
I'd go for Death myself, if you're on Ladder.

Angel_Dusted

Diabloii.Net Member
Just as an FYI a Gul rune on USEast Ladder is worth roughly the equivolent of an Um rune, so essentially you can get half a High Rune's worth of weaponry from it. Not a bad find, and there isn't much aside from runewords that something of that value can't buy.

Spankeh

Diabloii.Net Member
Death (or edeathz) is the finest offhand frenzy weapon in the game
Brand second only to Faith for missile weapon

Both Ladder runewords

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
OK so it seems like the two best options are to make it a Vex or to make Death. I'm liking the stats on Death, so I guess I'll try to make one. What's the best weapon to put it in and what is the best way to find a Vex?

Another big question I had that needs answering is: if I get a Vex to make Death/another Gul to make a Vex, would the resulting runeword/rune disappear if it turns out that the rune I traded for is Duped?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Kid A said:
What's the best weapon to put it in and what is the best way to find a Vex?
Berserker axe or war spike is sexy. There's 3 ways to get a Vex:
1. get 2 Guls from Forge and cube yourself one
2. pray that one drops
3. trade for one

Kid A

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
Berserker axe or war spike is sexy. There's 3 ways to get a Vex:
1. get 2 Guls from Forge and cube yourself one
2. pray that one drops
3. trade for one
Ugh. This will be hard. (Especially because I'm still worried about trading for a dupe...)

Anyway, would an Ettin Axe work as well as those two? Or is there a problem with it? It will be hard to find an ethereal 5-socket Berserker Axe, but it might be easier to get the Ettin Axe (maybe).

Because the max sockets number is 5, I can just find an ethereal one without sockets and take it to Larzuk (again, maybe).

What's a good weapon for the other hand with a frenzy barb?

olwe

Diabloii.Net Member
Kid A said:
Ugh. This will be hard. (Especially because I'm still worried about trading for a dupe...)

Anyway, would an Ettin Axe work as well as those two? Or is there a problem with it? It will be hard to find an ethereal 5-socket Berserker Axe, but it might be easier to get the Ettin Axe (maybe).

Because the max sockets number is 5, I can just find an ethereal one without sockets and take it to Larzuk (again, maybe).

What's a good weapon for the other hand with a frenzy barb?
It will be a lot easier to get an eth ettin, but an eth 5os berserker axe is the preferred base because a zerker hits range 3, while ettin is range 2. Ettin, however, will be much easier for you to get. 5os eth berzerker axes, on USEast ladder, are in the 3-5 hr range for the axe itself.