Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I don't understand this game!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Black_dragon, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Black_dragon

Black_dragon IncGamers Member

I don't understand this game!?!?!?!

:mad: :mad: :mad: I don't know how to start in singplayer!!!!! I don't know which character sto start with! Every single guide has to have equipment to be good and it's driveing me nuts!!?!?! My characters all suck with really bad equipment and everyone seems to friggen get rich and get the best stuff. help me out please!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! :mad: sorry i had to vent my frustrations, help me out.

2. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

Start a Necro using Fishy's guide, get to NM Meph, MF your heart out.
    Alternatively, beg..... :thumbsup:

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Why not start a fishymancer? this guys require no gear to start, and you can finish the game with crapy gears.

I've done it in HC, I can't see the reason why you cannot.

Mind you that I play fishy (HC) naked, weaponless, sheildless until A2 Hell.

4. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

People take untwinked HC builds to guardian all the time, so you certainly don't need the best equipment beforehand to beat the game. Keep in mind that even the richest players started out with very little or nothing. Try playing a summon necro, it's probably the least item dependent build out there and it's fairly effective at magic finding too, so that'll help you build up your stash of items.

5. Black_dragon

cool! thank you! 1 problem though, i keep getting this screen telling me to bookmark these sites everytime i go to the guide section, how do i get to the guide? :(

6. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

You can follow this guide :p

7. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Or as an alternative you can build a blizz sorc and run NM Meph for a bit. You can gamble some decent rare circlets and ammys, to give you some +skills. If you max cold mastery Meph will drop incredibly fast with a synergised blizzard, even without great items. You can get some easy MF from a 4PTopaz armour, and another 72 from a 3PTopaz Helm if you want it. Tarnhelm's a good item to watch out for too, +1 skills and MF.

If you haven't got Perfect topazes just use Flawless ones. They give 20MF instead of 24, but are much easier to find/cube if you're starting completely from scratch.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This is because of an upgrade that took place yesterday. Just replace the server name in the links from www.rpgforums.net to forums.diabloii.net and the links should work.

9. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Make a Skelemancer play slowly and carefully. For bosses, in NM and hell play players 1.

Shop for wands reguarly with plus to Summoning skills the priority. Look for heads with plus to Summoning skills. In Nightmare gamble for amulets with plus necro skills.

SM build

1 point in CE, Skeleon Mastery, Revive and Amp Damage, Clay Golem, Golem Mastery and Summoning Resists and each of the curses (save the ones leading to Lower Reistances) as soon as they come available.

Otherwise Max Skeleton Warrior and Mastery in that order

Then add points into revive until you are able to have 10 revives. Then max CE.

Then max Skeleton Mages.

Cast Amp damage, wait until something dies then Corpse explosion.

On bosses cast decrepify. Onranged attackers cast Attract.

For Normal Diablo have a head and wand on switch with Bone sprit skill. Run up to Diablo cast a portal. Out and back in and your minions will surround him - stand back cast bone spear.

Keep your str low- 60 is more than enough for Normal add to it when you find something you really want to use.

Rest in vitality. Its good to keep a few points say 20 (unallocated)as a buffer so if you want o quickly up strenght you can.

Your Necro will be able to survive (without super gear in hell) if you play carefully. You will find good gear you can mule off to use on other characters using Atma.

Get an act 2 defence merc asap. Change him for a NM offence merc as soon as possible to get Might aura on your Skekletons. Make sure yourt merc has lifesteal as soon as possible (you can gamble for pikes in act 2 and can get very nice rare ones. Alternatively Amn and Tir in a 2 socket pike (eth if you can find it) makes an awsome weapon (take you through Nightmare easily)for your merc.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The server adress was removed to the new location today, so all links to the forum threads don't work. You have to probably edit the www.rpgforums.net and type forums.diabloii.net instead in the url.

EDIT: too slow :(

And if you don't like fishy, try a Vega sorc (Meteorb/fireball) or pure Blizzard sorc. They work almost as good as fishys without a high-end gear, but are far better for MF runs for some targets (Hell Mephisto) later.

EDIT2: just a typo in Day's post: You have to hire an Act2 NM offensive merc to get Might aura.

EDIT3:^ Jiansonz faster than me again.... :)

11. jiansonz

You need a NM offensive merc to get Might.

12. Day

Day IncGamers Member

oops your are right.

13. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Listen Black_dragon, there are multiple things you can do.
    It requires work though, so you have to be willing to play the game alot.

Follow a guide (no matter which) to get a higher level character. If you already have one, but lack better gear, there's always the giveaway thread, where you can get great gear found by your fellow forumites.
    Umltimately your goal is to play and have fun, not to go on some kind of treasure hunt. That will imo quickly get boring. If you wanna have some fun, go do something crazy. For instance Im currently building a completely naked necro, who's currently going strong in act 4 normal. He's lots of fun to play, especially because I don't have to worry about equipment.

Have a good time playing, and if you need advice, we're always around to ask :)

-rizzo

14. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

It is better to following NF's guide. skelly mages are almost useless for this build. You use them to have a bit more protection, but don't expect they do any damage.

15. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

black dragon, Pick a build you want to play and give us a ring, I have a fair amount of low level uniques and sets that I can give you to start out if you would like. I have a stash of 153 items that i have too many of for my needs, your welcome to it.

As for builds these are pretty easy to get you started: (in no particular order)

Fishymancer
    Meteorbtress
    furyzon
    trapsin
    hunter druid
    tesladin/freezadin
    (passive barb, can make it into nightmare untwinked, :) )
    berserker barb/concentration barb

Remember that most builds that are posted on the forums are made for PvP and high end equipment. You don't need that, you need to learn to play for yourself and your ideals in the game, heck I have played for 4 years and still trade for items that are considered common by most, a moonfall for example.

16. Black_dragon

all these poest have been very helpful! thank you so much for the help i seriously needed it. I will give you all an update in the future to let you know how i am going :clap:

17. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Deathmaster I diagree with you on the Skeleton mages - for a poor untwinked character they add considerable extra safety. I'd agree that in some places they are a nuisance (e.g. Pindle Runs and Maggot Lair) and I'd also agree in some places they die easily. However, in other places they really shine a few cold mages vs Diablo or Hell Ancients for example. NF didn't like them plenty people do.

Moreover NF's guide doesn't go beyond level 74 - (you'll see I suggested maxing Skeleton Mages last). What would you do with the "spare" points?

NF said:

"3.e) Skill Points - What to do with spare points:

Well, as the official build ends at level 74 we will need something to do with all our extra skill points. At first glance there are a lot of options but most of them won't do you any good.

Option 1: Getting an offence spell, either poison or bone. Bad idea. Without synergies those spells do next to no damage. Next!
    Option 2: Getting bone wall or bone prison: Between your curses and your army you really shouldn't need more crowd control. Next!
    Option 3: Adding a few more points to your favourite curses because you think duration is too short or the radius is too little. Good idea. Do that if you want to.
    Option 4: Getting more Revives: Good idea if you have fewer than 10-12 and want a few more. Personally I like to have 12 revives in full MF gear. Depending on your MF gear this may take more or less points.
    Option 5: Maxing Golem Mastery: Good idea if you want to use an iron golem. Only advisable for boss running and then only if you can summon him out of an item that has crushing blow. But if you can do that this is a pretty decent idea. Do not do something crazy like casting him out of a beast rune word unless you will _never_ face Oblivion Knights again. Iron Maiden kills this golem instantly. The IK Maul is a good choice here. Can improve your times for Mephisto or Baal running significantly.
    Option 6: Getting more SR: Good idea if the gain is still worth the cost to you. Maybe you will need 1 or 2 extra points for MFing.
    Option 7: Getting Lower Resist. Good idea if you want to speed up killing of those unbreakable PI enemies.
    Option 8: Getting a few points in Bone Armour. Good idea if you are feeling fragile.
    Option 9: Something different: Good idea if you didn't like my suggestions. Don't come running if you don't like the results, though... *wink*"

18. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Day: I agree with DM on this one.

Mages are not strong, and do not act as a meat shield because they will try go cast spells from a distance. They do not close in on the enemy and engage them in melee combat. Normal skellies grant very good protection, the only thing you could want more is probably gumby and some revives. Besides the merc of course. Gumby slows 20% and can be efficient versus end bosses.

Lower resist does not break physical immunity. Only amplify damage does.
    I'd suggest going for something like Dim Vision or Attract instead, which can be a considerable help in later stages of the game.

Anyways, we shouldn't continue this debate in here, since it has nothing to do with the topic. Sorry Black_dragon

19. Sledge

Sledge IncGamers Member

play some sort of big hurty stick barb
    play the game for fun
    the game is about hitting stuff and watching it die :D

20. jiansonz

What I think Day meant is that against monsters that can´t have the physical immunities broken with Amp, you need some other type of damage to kill them, and Lower Resist helps with that...

(Sorry for continiung the hijack...)