Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I don't have a stash, and I must carry

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by twillight, Aug 9, 2018.

1. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

I bet none gets the reference to that Harlan Ellison story.

Name: kromag (I bet none gets the reference)
    Class: barbarian
    main skill: berserk
    skill plans: berserk, howl, BO - 20; weapon mastery - 10, leap attack - 1, rest is undecided
    Additional Rules: untwinked, single pass, no extended stash, ladder runewords activated, hardcore, p8 where possible.

Notable moments:
    - for Normal Diff the prime skill was Bash (respeced for Nightmare)
    - first buy of potions: Act 2
    - first death of merc: Act 3
    - first buy of tp-scrolls: Cow Level
    - in Act 5 Normal found a Steeldriver
    - currently in Nightmare Act 2, waiting for a Tir rune to make Insight and switch for HF merc from the original Act 1 fire (which uses an Edge). If can't find Tir, will have to run Countess. Better loosen the leash then die, right?

Notes: I think the new patches put in more monsters. Or I just played too long ago. I wish they'd fixed the bugs instead. (clvl 47 when went to Nightmare)

T72on1 likes this.
  2. Baltha

Baltha IncGamers Member

Talking about running Countess to get runes... are you going to double upgrade that steeldriver to use it as final weapon to beat the game?

How much MF do you have?

3. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Massive amount of monsters added as of 1.10 patch some 14 years ago or thereabouts. They also skewed rune drops to favor higher ones, which affects lower runes a bit. Find Item has found my current single pass barb a good amount of low to low mid runes, worth 2 points if you can spare it and it fits your theme.

Caveman/missing link for name?

4. twillight

I don't have MF above what naturaly comes with my survival equipment.
    After NM Andy I even sold my MF jewels for stash-space.

Last time I played was 1.13d, but I don't remember every step releasing 2-3 mixed mobs. And seems the light-radius attrib also got "fixed" (monsters seem to spawn from darkness, previously I just had to pump up the gamma), which means the game is harder. But maybe I'm just out of practice.

I usualy can't bother for Item Find, but as I'll definitely not put points into Incrised Speed this time (neither Nat Res if I can avoid), it might be something to consider.

Charname is reference to Sliders (tv series).

Almost forgot:
    - carrying Wirt's Leg during the whole difficulty from the point I find it
    - I try to clear by alvl. Not sure if my list is up-to-date (got from the wiki), but atleast something to stir my attention between sessions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

even just 1 pt in find item (and +skills) and using it only on bosspacks should go a long way

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

"I Have No Stash, and I Must Loot" would flow better, IMO.

Yours truly,
    A Pedantic Bookworm

Zyr and twillight like this.
  7. twillight

NmAct 3 done.

Along the way notable loot: Duriel's Shell, which is very comfy for CBF. Otherwise planned Treachery for IAS and physical resistance.

For weapon we'll see, this hammer is so insane, I stashed quit a lot of points as I don't want too high Howl-duration, neither need more dmg than killing in 3-4 blows (many things dont even require that). Other option would be Great Polaxe Obediance, but fat chance for that constellation.
    Otherwise, counting the required statpoints to wear the items, these two seems to be very good choices. But I'm wondering what'll I do with magic immun stuff.

Unmentioned changes: the roaming-radious for monsters definitely got bigger. This makes it hard to tell wether the game spawns things behind me, or just the AI plays naughty.

Lastly: my boots suck. Barely gives some minor resistances, nothing a shopped magic wouldn't be able to replace. I should grab a whassisname stash-program to check whatmy resists look like on Hell. Fortunately I have my helm of 2 BO with 3 empty sox (I planned to fill with PSkulls, but the manareg was crappy).

I'll definitely run Countess for runes, else my melee char would be in trouble. I can't even think how this game got released the state it was, neither how it could be played w/o Arreat Summmit. Ok, this game has wikis all over, unlike other rgoue-like games...
    Ye, I say Diablo 2 is a rogue-like.

8. Baltha

Baltha IncGamers Member

By the way how about this reference "I dont have a stash, so you are sworn to carry my burdens"?

9. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

character name=Aggressive Menace AM for short.

10. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

11. twillight

Skyrim, I presume.

The meanwhile going to A5.

On the alvl order, just to say something:
    Normal has like no problem, you go, clearanarea, next, as you come across, sub-areas after the main area. Only exception seems to be Rocky Waste, which comes before Sewer 3.
    Nightmare has a little bit of fuss. Between the two levels of The Cave comes Burial Grounds to mess with your head. Then the Countess'Tower complicates matter,as if you wanna singlepass, you have to do Black Marsh to Inner Cloister in one go (also Tristramcomes here too). Not impossible. In A3 the temples basicaly come after the main Kurast-areas. And finaly after the whole of Friggid Highland are supposed to do everything until the Summit, and only do Nihlatak then. Sounds ineteresting.

----------------

Geee, I'm having a treasureful run in A5. It's unique/set everywhere, and many good one amongst them! Like Ginther's Rift (good grail in general though not needed now), Hellplague (again not for this), Laying on Hands, Guillome's Face (scary powerful item, though not necessarily made for berserking), Saracen's Chance...
    I keep going despite the melee-AI got broken after just 1 area (everything attacks me what's not ranged).

Btw, I'll soon be banned likely, so if no new message from me, you know why. Rly not important. D2 is a pile of outdated bug anyway. Don't buy the remake if they truly make it, it'll be no different.

-------------

Btw, on principle took Find Item, but it's a waste of time, and breakes the pace. The mana is covered by the merc. That "10%" seems more like 1%, and even that only gives money and potion. Still, destroying corpses come in handy for Hell, so that's only 1 skillpoint "waste", and for that on principle I give myself that Pul to upp the Steeldriver.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
  12. Wolron

Wolron IncGamers Member

I get the reference to Harlan Ellison, as I read it when it was first released, but I cannot figure out what your post is all about. Is this a tournament post (sounds interesting, but what are the rules)? What version of D2 are you playing?

13. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

@Wolron just a progress thread for a themed build. It used to pretty common that people would restrict their own gameplay for characters, and/or design them around a certain aesthetic.

twillight likes this.
  14. twillight

Ye, only a progress-thread. You can join if you want though. Here are the circumstances (most covered in the opening post):

RULES
    - I use the lastest patch (1.14d). As since 1.13d they did not change the single thing officialy aside maybe server-stability for german users (ye, right, lol), have any version from between if you like. There's literaly no difference officialy.
    - hardcore/until 1st death
    - untwinked
    - single player
    - ladder runewords are ok
    - players setting is encouraged (I did everything in p8 aside the countess-runs, mostly by accident. At Nightmare Diablo I finaly got to my senses, and lowered to p3)
    - singlepass, Countess runs for runes is allowed in p1 (this is to balance out melee builds)
    - no extended stash. You can save out items, but what goes down, can never comes back. This is actualy the main point, to show how insanely small the stash is. It pretty much results in no crafted, no item rerolls, and very limited flexibility in items. Of course these are not impossible per se, but very unlikely you'll get anything good.
    - also, if you want to visit the Cow Level, you must have Wirst's Leg through the whole difficulty level, picking it up when you rescue Cain.

To be honest my original idea was to pretend there's no wiki, or any outside material at all, no extended stash, single pass - which'd result in no horadric cube recipes (including upping, and crafted items) and no runewords, but that'd have limit my options to Sorceress exlusively, and I just didn't want to. For that that etheral-tournament looks very attractive.
    I came up with this idea thinking how much I liked Dungeons of Dredmor, which official wiki one day got simply removed, and since then it became entirely unplayable. That was also the point I realised Diablo 2 is a rogue-like game (it was always obvious it has nothing to do with RPGs, but when it was made the term roguelike didn't exist for a looong time).

Now I go and mess with Nihilizsm, then maybe I'll even beat the rest of Nm today.

--------------

Btw, back in Nm A3 found an Iceblink. Thought it'd be funny to give it to the merc, so I did.

And in WSK lvl 2just got a legit Pul, so I definitely run Countess immediately for 3*Io to make a Lumand upp the Steeldriver.

Oh,and since when Nihlatak startedto gain abilities? I though it was a unique monster like The Summoner, or actbosses, which don't gain abilities.

Seems I'll be banned because the moderation don't care for the law (of forgetting). I mean they want to ban me, because I dared to ask to apply that law, as I have the right to ask such thing. Just so you know.

Btw, NM Cow takes forever to finish... And I'm only clvl 74, and uppest Steeldriver will need clvl 77 :(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM