Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I don't get it..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheRebel22, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 Diabloii.Net Member

I don't get it..

Ok, so I've gotten my barb up to level 83 in HC, which I'm VERY happy about. My top priority has been not dying and I'm learning to utilize War Cry in very well with Whirlwind and Beserk (I decided to go primarily WW -maxed, and Beserk-10 hard points, and the rest are going into War Cry which is absolutely amazing skill). I'm an IK barb with 3500hp and max resists in hell. I did a lot of MF runs in nm, doing council and meph mainly. I got a lot of low lvl uniques, a couple nice ones, and a lot of low-mid level runes. Now, I figure I'm in hell, I can run pit/countess/andy and rack up the gear for starting other characters.

I only have around 150mf, but that's what I had in NM, or even less, and it worked fine. I've been running a1 all day long. I ran countess and didn't have a problem although I didn't get a pul/um/ist or anything too special from her. Pits have given me nothing. Nothing at all. Well, I did find a Nosferatu's Coil belt, but that's it. I've seriously seen 3 uniques in 50+ runs, and no mid-level runes. When I was running pit on bnet with my necro I got a lot of uniques (I had 100more mf though) and I was finding ist/vex level runes with some frequency. I can understand a low amount of uniques, but I can't get any runes either?? I think Tal has been my highest rune drop there. So, I decide I'm going to start running Andy. I had been running pits at /p3, but I can do Andy at /p7 and get the most for my time. Well, I haven't found a single unique of off her, no runes, and sometimes she doesn't even drop a rare.

Am I just having bad luck or are these places nerfed or what?? I was expecting to be at least finding SOME things - on Bnet I was racking up stuff in just 1 day's worth of runs.

Anyone else experience this or have any advice? I think now I'm going to try to get up to hell meph and do council/meph runs the best I can until I get my necro suited and he starts running for me.

2. Corale

Corale Diabloii.Net Member

Re: I don't get it..

I think you have seriously bad luck.

For pits though, it can be 5-10 runs before I see a unique sometimes, and 95% of the runes are around Tal. But for Andy, she really pukes out uniques in my experience. Especially if she is quest bugged, which she usually is. You see if she is, just see if she ever drops crap such as pots and scrolls. If not, then she is bugged and will only drop real items. I have around 200-250% MF on her and the uniques and greens roll in, so keep at it, you will get the same eventually.

3. TheRebel22

uhh holy ****!!! BAD LUCK BEGONE!! I just finished hell a3 and I was on my 3rd council/meph run when this guy popped up!

[​IMG]

4. Evasive

Evasive Diabloii.Net Member

It's probably a manald heal. Not much to get excited over.

Oh, and congrats on the Jah :whistling:

5. Chairnick

Chairnick Diabloii.Net Member

640×480?:scratchchin:

6. nurman

nurman Diabloii.Net Member

Then probably those gloves will be dualeech + Str + 20ias and the ring is a soj.

7. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

You shouldn't leave out that Mechanic's Splint Mail of the Whale and the Mechanic's Casque of Amicae. Sure they aren't perfect, but imperfection needs love too!

8. TheRebel22

Obviously my finds are getting better :D today I got an Ornal's Wisdom staff (+4 skills), wizard spike, and that carrion ring (poison resist/ll). I'm having a different problem though. My merc dies just about every time. I can tank council easily and meph isn't too bad at /p5. He has more life than me (4k) with max resists. He's wearing an upped duriel's shell, Tal Rasha's Mask, and a 500dmg Insight Thresher. What can I do about him dying every run? I mean he dies at council, and then sometimes at meph right after!! lol I can't be having to res. him once or twice every run : (

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  9. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

you don't need to do meph at p5. p1 setting is just fine for bosses if the reason is magic find

10. TheRebel22

How do you quest bug andy? She's such an easy kill I'd love to do that and get good stuff off her.

11. Corale

There is a thread here that taught me, but basically:

1. Kill andariel when you have the quest.
    2. Go to town via town portal.
    3. Talk to Warriv and choose "Go east".

Done. 90% of the time you would do that anyway, I checked all my chars and they all did it by accident before I knew about it :)

12. Chairnick

I remember doing her with my fire sorc for the first time. I constantly had "don't forget to bug her" in my head, because it was my first char (hence plenty of useful items were to be dropped off her), and the first thing I did after she died was of course

S&E. :banghead:

13. TheRebel22

Hahaha yeah I guess I missed my chance. I'll remember for my necro though. Man, Meph can't handle my riddum anymore baby. I had to adjust my tactics a bit but now I'm rocking him on p5 easily with no merc deaths. I stopped running council for a bit because it just wasn't worth it to have my merc die everytime.

I do think /p settings matter when mfing. I mean, at least in my experience (altho limited), I get better drops when I do higher /p. at p1 on meph I was getting a couple blues and maybe a rare or two, but at p5 I get uniques regularly and now that my dude isn't dying anymore, it's become worth it, imo.

Also, is that Ornal's Wisdom staff worth anything? It's got the perf. +4 skills, but the other stats aren't perfect. I would think the +5% exp. gained would be super valuable here in single player because there are no anni's to help out with that. I'm going to use it probably on my necro when I get him to level 66; like after I've casted all my skellys in a safe area, I'll switch to that and just coast by gaining levels quicker.

14. Chairnick

As stated in some other thread recently: It's only useful if it doesn't slow you down by more than 5%, otherways it's pointless.

15. Corale

Yes, even if you do get more uniques and greens nowadays per item dropped, it has nothing to do with the player setting, it's pure chance. The player setting affects how many items are dropped on average, but it does not at all affect quality. Also, for act bosses and many (all?) superuniques there is only a tiny tiny (or none at all) increase in average number of items dropped when raising p setting. So unless you run meph for XP as well, I promise you are better off lowering it to p1.

Superuniqes are those guys that are always there. Pindleskin, Frozenstein, and whatnot.

16. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

This is not true. Higher /p setting ==> more items dropping ==> more good items.

This is untrue.

Iirc, for meph /p7 is no better than /p5 and /p5 is only a little better then /p3, but /p3 is significanlty better then /p1. But, you don't have to take my word for it, check with a drop calculator and see what the chances of getting some item are at each /p setting. Make sure that the results are displayed as "per kill". Part of this is because Meph gets 7 picks for a possibility of 6 drops, so even at lower /p settings he stands a good chance of dropping his full possibility of 6 items. Baal also has 7 picks (iirc), but I don't think the other act bosses do, so for them, there's still a reason to use /p7.

17. Corale

Well there are always misunderstanding when I try to write that. But if you read again it says "more uniques and greens per item dropped", so it says exactly what you say; there will be more uniques - but not a larger percent of uniques - on a higher player setting.

About Meph, what I've read around here is that it maxes out at p5, then the zero drop chance hits zero (höhö). Also that p3 is the only significant increase, and p5 vs p3 is a miniscule difference, so again the same as you. But I don't know about the other bosses, so that's new information to me :)

And for a sorceress I stand by the decision to run at p1 since travel time is very low. I know it's true for my blizzy and she has decent blizzard damage, but for a barbarian with some travelling, it might be different, even though I don't see why he couldn't find a very fast map as well.

18. Chairnick

Not always, if you do manage to do 2 p1 runs in the same time that you do p3 or p5, you'd get 10-12 drops instead of 6 - meaning a greater chance to get something useful. It's only worth raising players settings if it doesn't slow you down significantly.

19. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I misread.

:thumbup:

For my Meteorb, with the map I had (which was good), and the route I took to get to meph (act 4 wp), /p3 was best. /p3 took only a couple more seconds than /p1 and usually resulted in 1 or 2 more items, so it was more efficient over all. Though, I can see how /p1 could be more efficient for some, given the short travel time.

I didn't say anything about efficiency, only whether higher player settings can drop more items "per kill" (to quote myself :)).

20. Corale

Ah, cool. What kind of damage do you have and skills do you use for Meph with meteorb? I get so sadly slow results compared to the blizzy so I never do it :)