Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I don't get it. Why is my survivability garbage?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by The Butt, Jul 16, 2010.

1. The Butt

The Butt IncGamers Member

I don't get it. Why is my survivability garbage?

I am level 91, in Hell difficulty. I have all the good gear (except for my ammy and rings, which would just be SOJs and Tals Ammy anyways...)
    • Oculus
    • Shako
    • Spirit Monarch
    • Arachs
    • Chains of Honor Wire Fleece (882 def)
    • Magefists
    • +3 fire skills ammy which I need to replace...
    • Rare FCR rings... one with 5 lightning res, one with 9 fire/25 poison res.

I'm using a good build... fire skills have +14 in skills from items, everything else gets +10.
    • Warmth - 1 hard point
    • Fire Ball - 13 hard points
    • Meteor - 20 hard points
    • Fire Mastery - 20 hard points
    • Frozen Armor - 1 hard point
    • Frozen Orb - 20 hard points
    • Cold Mastery - 15 hard points (adding the 5 as I level)
    • Teleport - 1 hard point
    • Static - 1 hard point
    • Prerequisites - 1 hard point

My resists are alright...
    • Fire - 24
    • Cold - 50
    • Light - 75
    • Poison - 75

My stats seem to be alright...
    • 156 hard points into STR (178 with gear)
    • 30 hard points into DEX (32 with gear... my defense is 1735. My chance to block is averaging 3%... I think this might be problem)
    • 319 hard points into VIT (363 with gear... 1126 life)
    • Basically stock Energy... I never put points into it.

My problem IS... I can't even take Meph, or Nihlathak by myself. What am I doing wrong? Is it my dexterity, and as a result, my chance to block? Or is it something else? What can I do to make myself survivable enough to do boss or key runs? Help would be much appreciated.

2. BewareOfLag

BewareOfLag IncGamers Member

Re: I don't get it. Why is my survivability garbage?

Your build sounds fine, but how well are you using your teleport?

I can say from experience, Nihlathak is MURDER on just about anybody. Supposedly one of the best builds to run him is chain lightning/frozen orb, and I find myself having great problems with him. With his corpse explosion, it is difficult to beat him because he can 1 shot kill you and/or your merc.

If you are doing the moat trick with Meph, I honestly can't see what your problem would be. You should just be raining meteors down on him with not too much trouble. if you do that and just move around a bit you shouldn't be getting killed, really.

A big part of any sorc is their merc setup, so maybe that will give us a better clue as to what is going on.

Note that your lowest resistances correspond with those guys' strongest attacks (Corpse explosion and Mephisto's cold ball). For Nihlathak, perhaps consider a point in energy shield and if your merc is using insight, that will offer some protection against his corpse explosion. However, your fire resistance is pretty low and until you boost that, I would stay away from Nihlathak altogether, because CE is half fire damage. Keep an eye out for grand charms and small charms with fire resistances, grands can get you 30%, smalls can get you up to 11%. I myself use these quite often because its almost impossible to have even resistances all across the board, there ALWAYS seems for me to be 1 resistance thats lacking compared to others (mine usually always turns out to be cold for some reason lol). If Meph's cold ball is giving you trouble, see if you can ramp that up by another 10% at least, and remember to let your merc hang around closer to him than you...he'll survive his charged bolts and cold ball easier than you, generally speaking.

3. The Butt

My merc's using an Insight Giant Thresher, with +1 to skills Arkaines Valor and a Veil of Steel (trash uniques I found in hosted Baal games). He's a Holy Freeze A2 merc, level 90.

And it's not really the bosses themselves (well for Nihlathak it is)... it's more the "getting there" that's the problem. I just seem to get overrun a lot of times, even when I attempt to tele past. For the Durance, it's the Blood Lords and the Council Members that just seem to take me down like a pane of glass...

In the Halls of Vaught, it's Nihlathak's corpse explosion mainly... but heirophants and the serpents on the way there give me TONS of trouble.

So you think Energy Shield would be a good idea?

Edit: Also, would getting a Nature's Peace be a good idea if I want to run Nihlathak, even for a sorc? Would that stop his Corpse Explosion (at least for monsters I've killed)?

4. BewareOfLag

generally speaking if you are getting killed while teleporting, there are 2 solutions

1) shiver armor
    2) more FCR

With one of my sorcs I get killed tele sometimes because her FCR is too slow and her getting hit interrupts it, and she gets swarmed before she can get the next tele off.

as for nature's peace, that would help quite a bit. and if you get it, dont go killing the serpents, etc, just tele until you find nihlathak. the natures peace should have a decent enough range to where you dont have to be too close to nihlathak to get rid of the corpses. so move in, kill some guys, tele away from the corpses, repeat. also, dont forget you dont have to be right in the thick of things with meteor. for instance you could cast them at the end of the hallway that leads into the chamber nihlathak is, and just keep raining them down and let natures peace get rid of the corpses. bear in mind you will have to kill whatever baddies are in that hallway, but it beats going through the whole level and trying to kill everything, and dying in the process.

it sounds to me like FCR might be a bit of an issue for you, and thats pretty important for teleporting out of bad situations.

5. The Butt

RE Shiver Armor:
    Right now I'm using 1 hard point into Frozen Armor (with gear it's lv 11, grants 80% def bonus), since I like the freezing it grants... is Shiver Armor any better?

RE FCR:
    Hmm... I'm at 123% faster cast rate from all my gear.
    • 20% from Magefists
    • 20% from Arachs
    • 20% from rings
    • 30% from Occy
    • 33% from Spirit

RE Natures Peace:
    If I get it, I'm gonna have to ditch the lesser of my FCR rings. Which will lower it by 10%, and my lightning resist by 2%, down to 73. I'm wondering, is that negligable?

Edit: Could possibly just ditch the ring with the 9 fire and 25 poison resist, since Nature's Peace has poison resist.

So, looking like I should get a Natures peace, some resist charms, and respec to use Energy Shield. Dunno what I should cut points from though, that's gonna cost me 4 skill points for prerequisites. I dunno.

6. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Was going to second that if you have problems with council and nithalak, it IS your fire res. With 75% res instead of 25% res, they will only do 1/3 the damage to you that they are currently doing. Time to collect some small charms or get better rings.

7. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Oh and by the way... the breakpoint for FCR is 105, so try to get a 35 FCR spirit and then you can take those FCR rings off and you wont attack or tele any slower.

8. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

do you have a CTA?

9. The Butt

Decent. Thanks for the help guys.

Things to do:
    -Get res charms
    -Nature's Peace.

Edit: Nope, don't have a CTA. Also considering Um Rune-ing my shako, once I can manage another socket quest.

10. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah fire and light resist are the must haves in pvm, the others not nearly as important. However even then with max res, tanking ability will not be great. To really tank stuff, a stormshield is the way to go.

11. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

You can probably squeeze some more life by using a token / akara respec as you should be able to save 22 stat points from str and the 30 points you put into dex (unless u need it for gear, which i don't think you do). That sould net you 100 hp i think.

As Turtleboy mentions, the FCR BP you need is 105, so you can swap out 1 FCR ring for the Natures no problems, and with a perfect 35fcr Spirit you could replace the other ring aswell.
    To save funds you could just Ral the shako for the needed extra Fire res, tho as you mention getting some res charms would be another solution.

I have no extra points in dex, so it's not your ctb, mephi should be a cakewalk for you, i posted this elsewhere recently but he's my MO.

Tele on mephi, take 1 step back so merc tanks, static to 50%, cast 1 meteor and the spam FB until he dies, should take ~10 seconds.

I don't run Nilly on my sorc as it's too messy :), but Mephi should cause you no problems at all.

As for teleporting, how much FHR do you have? always been a fan of high FCR+FHR for safe teleporting.

12. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Def is nearly meaningless on a sorc - you don't have any multipliers so you can't rely on it.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned your biggest danger - your occy will probably be getting you killed because of the 25% chance to teleport when struck - when I first started D2 I used to think that was the best sorc weapon ever but these days I tend to avoid it once I have something worthwhile.

Would have gone fb over fire mastery as there's more damage from synergy than after the first point of FM

13. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

get a CTA and most of your problems should go away.

14. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Yeah I'll echo a few things others have said...

-25 fire res isnt enough
    -Nihl is probably the single toughest normal running target, so dont be upset if its giving you a little trouble. NP will help a lot with his CE.
    -CtA will solve a lot of problems
    -Too much FCR, too much STR

A couple other things you might think about:

-Drop Occy for HotO. You sacrifice the MF for res, FCR, and the safety of not randomly teleporting when hit. You have lots of MF from other places, and you could switch a Nagel in too when you're not running Nihl and dont need NP.

-Your skills are kinda funky. I usually wouldnt go more than 17 soft points in CM on a fire/cold sorc, your points are better spent pumping fire. You maxed everything except Fireball, when that should be the first fire skill you max.

-You need better merc gear. Tal's helm and Treachery are super cheap, easy to find, and effective; seems I've been giving this piece of advice a lot lately. A better-tanking merc means you're freer to worry about killing Meph and not worry about TPing around and staying alive.

15. BewareOfLag

the more i read, the more that sorc's really arent the characters you want to use to run nihlathak. i remember reading a thread on this forum that said CL/FO was the best sorc for running him. i have that exact build, and tals set and decent merc equip, and i get waxed probably half the time, or run into a bunch of LI vipers and just give up.

most players have more than one good character, so dont exclude the idea of using a different character to go punk Nihlathak. I'm not sure what would be best, but a barb with good fire resist and physical damage reduction seems like it could work. a kicksin that can use kick skill to go straight to him and kill him is another possibility. finally, a necromancer could probably pull it off. after all, CE is really the only danger he poses, so exploding/raising those corpses before him obviously would cause him problems :)

16. SeCKSEgai

I actually used my trapper - Ihated using my sorc even though she has the best overall damage output for two reasons:

She's not a sorc.
    She has a lot better survivability since she has tanks and ce's just like Nil.

17. droid

droid IncGamers Member

A high-level barb can always Howl away the minions and get a clear path to Nihl, take him out first. Or, Leap on top of him and clear a little room to fight. Conc or Zerk barb is probably the easiest one.

18. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Your build is hell viable, the input the other people have given you is to make your build BETTER not viable. The two reasons you're getting killed so often are your merc sucks and your playstyle probably sucks.

Beef up your merc-make sure he has decent resists, some LL and some crushing blow. Duriels shell, tals helm, crown of thieves, guillames face, smoke armor are all decent ways to acheive these for very very cheap. If you want to continue to use Insight, consider switching to a Prayer merc. Prayer synergizes with meditation and gives you and your merc insanely great regen, which will help the survivability of both of you. If you're not planning on using insight forever, upgrade to a bigger, badder weapon on your Holy Freeze merc. Infinity is the weapon of choice but there are other good options as well-pride, obediance, an upped kelpie snare (less damage but GREAT defensively) which will be cheaper.

Also take a look at your playstyle. Are you playing too aggressively? For the most part, sorcs are never going to be good tanks, so don't try to be. Sorcs are all about high damage and manueverability. When there are lots of monsters around you should be teleing constantly in between your attacks. You should look like this: tele into hole in monsters, one or two attacks, tele to next hole, repeat. Also do your best to keep your merc between you and the monsters and to keep him ALIVE. As long as he stays alive and between the enemies, they will be attacking him and not you. This is especially helpful for Mephisto, who can really mess you up if your merc went to the great Lut Gholein in the sky. As far as Nihlathak, I would use another char to run him as it is a DAMN hard run with a Fire/Cold sorc.

19. SeCKSEgai

A bit of an offensive opening remark - practically contradicted at the end considering that's really where survivability was an issue.

I tried an insight prayer merc - doesn't work well in later levels - hp regen isn't as good as life leech with solid damage not to mention holy freeze will allow a merc to survive where he normally wouldn't (short of high def defiance).

20. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Your merc has no life leech under the current setup you described (Insight, Veil of Steel, Arkaine's).

Life leech is also worthless vs Mephisto (and other act bosses), who cannot be leeched in Hell. Prayer/Insight is an extremely useful and viable merc for a sorc, especially one who uses ES, as it exponentially increases your effective regen, and of course vs other unleechables like undead.

My CL/FO's merc is Prayer/eInsight with Treachery and Vgaze; he can tank just about anything shy of a huge pack of Cows when Amped, and I almost never have to touch my potion hotbar.