Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I could use some HC playing advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AJK, Sep 7, 2006.

1. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

I could use some HC playing advice

ChillyWeasel, requiescat in pacem.

My first adventure in HC untwinked play with a frost zealot ended abruptly at level 32, chaos sanctuary, yesterday. I did manage to avoid IM death and was able to clear out that hellish place. Two seal boss packs went down, the de Seis pack and that mage pack whose name escapes me right now. The last seal spawned an angry Infector and his posse. I ran but they surrounded me and I got killed to death after my fourth and last full juvvie disappeared from my belt. No ESC (my own restriction), and the last boss mod I could spot before he random-walked out of the deeds screen was spectral hit. Ouch.

Of course the first and last mistake I made was allowing myself to get surrounded. I will try not to repeat that mistake when ChillyWeaselII avenges his father's death. I'll outline skills/gear below with some questions sprinkled throughout. Feel free to skip to the most important question located at the end of this post.

Skills: Zeal(4), obviously. Redemption(1). Holy Shield(1). Prereqs(rest)
    Resist cold (4), dumped some skill points here before HF became available.
    Holy Freeze(13). Guess why.

Gear:

Weapon: a 'Steel' Flail. 6FPA attack, range 3. Sounded like a weapon that could see me through Normal.
    Shield: Imbued Targe. Resists: 25/25/25/45. Should I have saved this imbue and wait for a pala shield to make Rhyme in? What is another good untwinked imbue option?
    Armor: Stealth chain mail. I chose chain mail for its 75 def. Should I make it in a lighter armor next time?
    Hat, rings, amulet, boots, gloves: A magic/rare mixture of resists and magic find (and 20% frw). Final resists: 69/1x/75/5x (from what I can remember)
    Should I aim for FHR over MF? I guess my resists were fine.
    Belt: Death's Guard. I rejoiced when this dropped in the underground passage. But: Is the loss of 8 slots worth the CBF mod?

Merc:
    Hat: gambled circlet with light res. and 3% life steal.
    Weapon: I 3-chip rerolled a Poleaxe and made an 'IthRal' poleaxe of 10%IAS.
    The added fire damage from Ral sounded like a good idea at the time.
    Armor: rare breast plate with small fire/light res.

Exsqueeze me for taking so long to get to the main question. Here it is:
    Assuming ChillyWeaselII makes it past Diablo, what would be the wisest path to choose from an untwinked HC perspective, frost/lightning or frost/zeal/fanat?
    Option 1 is attractive for it doesn't require a hurty stick to waste cold immunes. Option 2 is attractive for it allows me to leech better. Any ideas?

2. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

When I made one in HC he was pure frost zealot and the merc was a Fire rouge. It's a great option if you can find a decent bow.

DX

3. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

1 trickfor deeling with the balrong seal pack is to activate the seel, town portal back to town, use the river of fire wp and run back to him. if you do it like this it gives you plenty of retreat space and you can lure 1 or 2 of them away at a time

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Hi, I think that Infecter pack is one of the most danagerous fights in Diablo (especially normal difficulty). In my untwinked HC, I allways made a TP and went back from River of Flame WP to prevent them to surround me.

to your questions: I use more or less similar gear on my untwinked chars.
    FHR is not much needed for zealing pala. Zeal is not interruptible...
    Deciding between dual element / 1 element + physical is tough question, you already know the cons and pros, so you probably have to decide it yourself...

5. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips!
    Popping the infected seal, TP, and backtracking sounds like a good plan to me. I also forgot about the uninterruptability (major scrabble points!) of zeal. I can ignore FHR there.
    I also forgot that other mercs than desert dwellers existed. My plan was to employ defiant merc, but I'll keep a fire rogue around past act II to see if she's worth it to me (and can be kept reasonably alive).

Luckily, the question elemental/physical backup can be postponed until I max HS and HF. That'll put me beyond level 50, and I'll have to live to see that day first.
    Anyway, I like the untwinked challenge. The happiness with which I greet new gold/green drops is a refreshing change from ubertwinked MF-runs.

Additional question: How many points do you untwinked HC players spend in vita per level?
    I spent two per level each time, and kept spare points for weapon/armor upgrades.

6. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Hi, first congrats on not Save&Exit-ing the game, it respects the spirit of HC. How comes they caught you even with the freeze aura on (it should be pretty effective with so many points in it)? Anyway, I must agree with the others that it takes only a while from the River waypoint compared to playing a new character from the start.

Concerning imbue, I usually save it for circlets/tiaras which can have very nice stats and are less attainable via drops. Paladin shields are common and you will also receive one from Anya as a reward. The native +resistances of these can go very high, just wait for the right one. For the same reason I would save the Shael rune for other purposes (upgrade, weapon speed) unless you make runs.

CBF is an important mod, but not essential until Hell where even common creatures cause elemental damage (like archer packs in act1). If you think, you could have drinked-out of that fight, the choice was wrong. I personally dislike "tiny" belts as I do heavier armor/shield types.

RIP to ChillyWeasel and good luck to his successor!

Ugla

7. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

I thought about 'ESC'-ing out, but carelessness ought to be punished. One learns quicker that way. The fiery demons spawn extra fast by default and I was stupid (not careful) enough to let them surround me. I thought I could zeal my way out of that situation. That's one mistake I won't make again :dunce:
    I'm not averse to doing some runs. I ran the countess a few times for 'Stealth' and 'Steel'. I won't go overboard on the runs because low experience in HC + repeated runs = elevated risk of death.
    I got roasted very hard. I don't think four more purples would have saved me.
    I guess I'll go and craft/gamble a nice 16-slot belt if I get far enough in the game.

8. burke615

burke615 IncGamers Member

My WW barb Guardian on BNet carried his Rogue all the way through the game. I was doing it for story reasoons, of course, not killing speed, but found she saved my behind more than once. She is generally smart enough to keep out of the way (although my Leap Attacking would often make her move to a bad place) and she would out-duel pretty much any ranged attacker in the game while I tanked the big hurty mobs.

Suffice to say, I am a fan of Rogue mercs. (Not on my Fishymancer, though. :prop:)

Oh, and I prefer freeze to fire, but that's your call. Once you get to Hell, there are enough of both immunes that it doesn't matter all that much.

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Cold rogues have a much shorter range when they use cold arrow. Unfortuantely, they don't know this and so will shoot at monsters out of their range anyhow. That is enough of an annoyance to me not to use the cold Rogues. Fire rogues, however, rock, and are a nice complement to more characters that people realize. (Never underestimate the power of Inner Sight. :wink3: )

I prefer the elemental aura/physical damage combination. That's what I did with my first tesladin, and what I will likely do with my second (when I can put together a crescent moon, and actually have time to play again.) I went with max sacrifice, and few points in Zeal for the AR (but I didn't max this.) I skipped fanatasism, but I was twinked, and so had crushing blow and a decent weapon already taken care of.

10. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Don't die.

11. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

Have maxed resists next time, that 6% more from 69 to 75 would have reduced their damage by 20%...and since they deal frame based attacks, Magic Damage Reduced by X mods reduce their inferno damage by 25X per second. Diablo's attacks deal similar damage so that mod is really helpful in the Chaos Sanctuary.

12. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I was lucky enough to find a ring with some charges of level 4? 5? glacial spike. The damage was pathetic, but used properly, infector of soul's pack could be taken out easily, and most importantly, safely.

My tactics were this:

Activate the seal, and TP back to town. Equip the ring, and have it on right click, on switch. Creep up on the pack, and lure them towards you. With a bit of faster run/walk you should be in the lead. Turn around and nail a few with glacial spike, thus freezing them for a second or two. Keep running, occasionally freezing a couple, until you just have Infector of Souls remaining. If you're timing is off, a couple of minions will still be hanging around, but 2 or 3 is better than 4 or 5. Zeal away until infector is down. Then, make your way back to the seal, taking on the minions one or two at a time, until they are all dead.

I know I was lucky to get that ring, but if you ever find a similar ring, keep it for future boss fights. That ring has saved my *** many times since Infector of souls